Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When it comes to Batman villains, do you consider Hush a hit or a miss?

Do you consider Hush a good addition to the Batman rogues gallery or not?

Incredible Member

Yes, Hush is.
    Last edited by ngroove; 04-20-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Mighty Member

Loeb's version of him was a hit. Everyone else's . . . not so much.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Dini is the only to elicit a reaction from me towards him, he effectively wrote him as an ******* who desperately needed to be taken down several pegs. And Dini delivered.

Aside from that, he's a hard miss.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

The only story featuring him I've read is Hush, and in that story he sucked hard.
    Miller was right.

Extraordinary Member

He is kind of one hit wonder.

I think a villain like him, who knows that Bruce is Batman, has the single goal to get revenge on him, is very competent, has no reason to hold back and has a already a pretty bombastic first story, is really hard to reuse.

Your only real option is to let things escalate more with any of his appearances, or he will just lose what made him cool in his first appearence. And at some point it will look just implausible for him to not succeed.

Bane has pretty much the same problem, thats probably why he was pre flashpoint hardly used as batman villain and they never made a real follow up to Knightfall in that continuity.

I didn't care for him in his debut, though I like Batman: Hush, but I really liked what Dini did with him in Heart of Hush, and he was fine in Batman: Eternal. His introduction in the Arkham games was superb, but the plot was resolved poorly in Arkham Knight. He will never rank among my favorites Bat villains, but I think good things can be done with the character, and with a movie based in the comic Batman: Hush coming soon, and, though mediocre, his short appearence in the Arkham games, I think he's a hit
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Empty is thy hand!

Miss. Miss.

Hush has 2 problems. One is that he embodies that dumb murder mystery trope where the protagonist’s old best friend who’s never been mentioned before conveniently ends up being the bad guy. Way too predictable and lazy. The other problem with Tommy is that he also embodies that other villain trope where they want the bad guy to desire revenge but they don’t want the hero to actually have done anything shady to warrant such hatred. So they gave him a really absurd and contrived motivation for hating Bruce.
    Hush has a lot of the same problems as Long Halloween, also by Loeb. Both have really good first and second acts only to flub it in the third with contrived plot twists, and red herrings that would have made more sense and be much more interesting than the actual villain reveals.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Reading Hush the first time, I didn't care at all about Hush. The main attraction for me is the rogue gallery.

That said, Hush was my first Bruce/Batman dark mirror story, so I like his backstory.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Hush has 2 problems. One is that he embodies that dumb murder mystery trope where the protagonist’s old best friend who’s never been mentioned before conveniently ends up being the bad guy. Way too predictable and lazy. The other problem with Tommy is that he also embodies that other villain trope where they want the bad guy to desire revenge but they don’t want the hero to actually have done anything shady to warrant such hatred. So they gave him a really absurd and contrived motivation for hating Bruce.
    Hush has a lot of the same problems as Long Halloween, also by Loeb. Both have really good first and second acts only to flub it in the third with contrived plot twists, and red herrings that would have made more sense and be much more interesting than the actual villain reveals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Reading Hush the first time, I didn't care at all about Hush. The main attraction for me is the rogue gallery.

That said, Hush was my first Bruce/Batman dark mirror story, so I like his backstory.
    Hush as a story really only exists as an excuse for Jim Lee to draw all the popular Bat-crap.

Coming up with a compelling antagonist or a good mystery was pretty clearly low on the priority list.

The only person who made it interesting: Paul Dini.

I would say miss. Hush is a great story for pretty much everything except Hush. The reveal of it being Tommy was really lame. As someone else said, the best friend who has never been mentioned before becoming the mystery bad guy was lame. Honestly for that story, I wish that Hush would have really been Jason. ( Although Jason as red hood is now one of my favorite characters).

His portrayal in the arkham games was great and the idea of him trying to steal Bruce's Identity in Dini's run was pretty great and made the character interesting to me, but sadly he has been used poorly more often than not.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Pretty much from when he took out Catwomans heart, and got a face like Bruces I have thought he sucks.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

He sucks as a villain and his biggest story is carried by the cameos of more popular villains
    Arkham series did him a bit of justice by not pretending he's anything more than a pathetic wannabe wayne