Default Rate it: Infamous Iron Man by Bendis

This series got mad hype and had good character work, but the twist towards the end kind of spoils it all for me because the pre-twist premise is more interesting. And it also has the fetish with the Hood and his army of random villains who Brian doesn't even know. Great art, though. Not the weakest part of Brian's run, but it leaves me cold.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This series got mad hype and had good character work, but the twist towards the end kind of spoils it all for me because the pre-twist premise is more interesting. And it also has the fetish with the Hood and his army of random villains who Brian doesn't even know. Great art, though. Not the weakest part of Brian's run, but it leaves me cold.
    Largely agree with this. The ending was a little anti-climactic.

But I liked everything before that and Alex Maleev's art is excellent, and the Infamous Iron Man suit is genuinely good and Dr. Doom really does make for a compelling good guy, even if as an angle it wouldn't last.

It's a wonderful followup to where Doom was at the end of Secret Wars.

I couldnt get past issue 3 (i think) of this. That issue litterally had nothing happen or progress, and it imediately felt like Bendis didnt actually know what he wanted to do with the concept after spending 2 issues setting up and explaining it. I wasnt about to pay monthly for somethign that felt like a unfleshed out concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    By the way: Where is Doctor Doom right now and what is he up to ?
    Fantastic Four. He captured Galactus and using him as a power source for Latveria.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Like most of Bendis's work, it reads better when read all at once and relies more on tone than on plot. I would say it's an above average Bendis work and reads well as a companion piece to his Invincible Iron Man run. That's about it, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The series itself is not bad but the end I would say is the worst I read in a long time.

either Doctor Doom is an extremely boring lead or Bendis is an amateur hack writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    either Doctor Doom is an extremely boring lead or Bendis is an amateur hack writer.
    It’s the latter

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    It’s the latter
    I think if Bendis had gotten over his infatuation with the Hood, it would have made for a better narrative. I really though he was serious about using the Maker, which would have been a better match up. When he showed up, he had an unsettling effect on everyone, Ben, Johnny and Doom. I especially liked the little reunion between Doom and Dr Strange. Apparently either Stephen doesn't remember getting killed in DW or just preferred not to bring it up As for Amara, it's disappointing to see that we've seen nothing of her since nor the status of their unborn child.

But I give Bendis props for following up on what was a logical progression from the conclusion of Secret Wars. The fact that the series was a big seller for Marvel at over 2,000,000 issues sold over the course of the series showed that readers were interested in Doom essentially being the lead of a series. I think Maleev's art set the right tone for the series, which was less about comic book battles and more emphasis on the characters. I've always thought that Doom needed an update on his armor and we did get that at least. I wish it wasn't him just modifying Tony's armor to allow for the use of magic.

Overall, I would give the series a solid "B"

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The series itself is not bad but the end I would say is the worst I read in a long time.
    The problem I had with the ending is that he made Mephisto speech pattern indistinguishable from the Hood or any other mook. And of course, that Victor got his face messed up again for his trouble.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.

The voice Bendis gave Mephisto absolutely threw me off. That was weird.

I am not a big Iron Man fan, so I was probably able to shrug off certain Bendis-isms that irked longtime readers. I hadn't read an Iron Man title since Extremis, and before that, Busiek's Heroes Return run, but I bought Bendis' first issue on a whim and I stuck with his whole run. IMO:

1. International
    2. Infamous
    3. Invincible vol 1
    4. Invincible vol 2

Maleev had a lot to do with enjoying International/Infamous, probably. I had no idea Tony was adopted so it was an enjoyable enough ride, even if I've heard the "my parents were actually SHIELD Agents" tune a time or two before. His last few issues screamed of the end of his Avengers run where he tried to wrap a few things up -- and forgot about other things completely -- in a rushed/forced manner. #600 was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    The voice Bendis gave Mephisto absolutely threw me off. That was weird.

I am not a big Iron Man fan, so I was probably able to shrug off certain Bendis-isms that irked longtime readers. I hadn't read an Iron Man title since Extremis, and before that, Busiek's Heroes Return run, but I bought Bendis' first issue on a whim and I stuck with his whole run. IMO:

1. International
    2. Infamous
    3. Invincible vol 1
    4. Invincible vol 2

Maleev had a lot to do with enjoying International/Infamous, probably.I had no idea Tony was adopted so it was an enjoyable enough ride, even if I've heard the "my parents were actually SHIELD Agents"tune a time or two before. His last few issues screamed of the end of his Avengers run where he tried to wrap a few things up -- and forgot about other things completely -- in a rushed/forced manner. #600 was terrible.
    Shmood rn!

Regarding Mephisto, I think that in general Bendis is not good at writing cosmic or mystic characters. When you take him out of his street level comfort zone, it's when he most often miss it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Maleev had a lot to do with enjoying International/Infamous, probably. I had no idea Tony was adopted so it was an enjoyable enough ride, even if I've heard the "my parents were actually SHIELD Agents" tune a time or two before. His last few issues screamed of the end of his Avengers run where he tried to wrap a few things up -- and forgot about other things completely -- in a rushed/forced manner. #600 was terrible.
    The adoption thing is pretty new, and I try to headcanon it away as being an LMD or something.

Arrow

I enjoyed it quite a bit up until the twist (as others have already said). I thought it was great other than the ending. 3.5 out of 5 stars was 4 out 5 stars until the last bit, IMO
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."