Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Sometimes I get a kick out of how big and dumb the Justice League book is lately. I enjoy it.

I love Jarro, Mera being on the team, Starman, all the big nonsensical mumbo jumbo event stuff. It's like eating a whole bag of my favorite candy from Trader Joe's. Also the coloring has been great. When it's less colorful I don't care as much.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-18-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

Snyder is pulling a Hickman: a looooong story full of huge but stupid ideas which have no connection to anything to do with reality, topped by focussing on a barely interesting new mythology and ever-increasing stakes which can only lead to a major disappointment when everything needs to be wrapped up in ANOTHER mega-event that will change the DC Universe for at least 6 months. And a focus on just about anything but the titular Justice League. Can't wait for this mess to be over.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'll rate Snyder's major DC work, and see how his Justice League run holds up.

Pre Flashpoint Detective Comics 8/10
    Exceptional comics from an exceptional era for the Dark Knight. I may be the first to say that Snyder writes a much better Dick Grayson, than he does a Bruce Wayne. There are Snyder tropes that in retrospect feel nauseating, but back then, when these issues were published, the Snyderisms felt fresh and original.

New 52 Batman 5.7/10
    A massively disjointed run on the character, having it's great highs and staggering lows, but a run that nevertheless is not only the most influential take on Batman this century (Morrison trailing behind or tying), but also one of the most influential comics 2010s as a whole. The Court of Owls is an arc that will be remembered among the likes of The Dark Knight Returns, Hush, The Killing Joke, Batman Year One, The Long Halloween, and A Death in the Family. The rest of his run however is a cornucopia of asinine insanity and dumb fun. Entertaining yet annoying at the same time.

New 52 Swamp Thing 3/10
    Let me be controversial here when I say this is one of the worst Swamp Thing runs ever put to pen. A blunder in the history of a character known for such strong storytelling. Though Doug Wheeler typically gets chosen as the worst writer to have the fortune to write Swamp Thing, even though I haven't read his run, it can't in my mind, be any worse than this. Let me explain: Snyder wastes the rich potential of Swamp Thing on a run that defficates on the Swamp Thing mythology with retcons and characterizations that completely tarnish and ruin the entire appeal of what was made great before. Even more insultingly, while Snyder attempts to be scary, every single attempt at this comes off as gratuitous. Swamp Thing, in contrast to the general consensus, is not an apt fit for Snyder's writing. He doesn't respect the continuity that was out before him (even though he pretends he does) and he is an incompetent horror writer (even though the majority of his creator owned material is horror)

Post Metal Justice League 7/10
    Surprisingly enjoyable. While by no means coherent, his JL is sure of a hell of a ride. There is enough brains, heart, and so bad it's good in here to maybe even begrudgingly call this run potentially a classic.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-18-2019 at 07:17 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Jesus, whatever, dude. Keep clinging to your semantics. Zack Snyder's name's listed as the director on the Justice League movie that was released. It's his movie in the public eye, regardless of whatever transpired behind the scenes. And it sucks.
    it's really not that big of a deal idk why you need to be in your bag about it. we all know you can't judge something you haven't actually seen yet. most of that movie is not his that's just facts not semantics. sorry i ruffled your rooster pal

BANNED

I'm extremely disappointed with how much Snyder's stooge Tynion is actually writing this book. I admittedly don't read this book often (because I don't like it), but when I do take a look at it, it seems this is often what happens:

The Justice League isn't in it.
    It's written by James Tynion.
    There was some third point, but somehow, within the span of seconds, I forgot what I was going to type.

Someone above said he "waits for an arc to wrap up" but isn't there just one arc so far, even though it's already 22 issues? It all seems like one arc only, at least. This book seriously lacks variety in story types and stories. This big story that's happening has barely any content, it's just a big empty spectacle that never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Someone above said he "waits for an arc to wrap up" but isn't there just one arc so far, even though it's already 22 issues? It all seems like one arc only, at least. This book seriously lacks variety in story types and stories. This big story that's happening has barely any content, it's just a big empty spectacle that never ends.
    The Totality, Drowned Earth, Thanagar Prime, Currently onto the Fifth Dimension and some Legion of Doom and Oneshots in there too
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I can 100% roll with the lack of the JL in the title, if we get more Mera holding down the fort.

I want lots more Mera tbh.

Mighty Member

I enjoy the hell out of it. One big cosmic story. Snyder made the AM background actually interesting. I'd rate it a 8/10.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

There have been some fun and interesting aspects of the stories, but as others have pointed out, it seems Snyder is trying to write big grand epic stories that he cant seem to keep coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I can 100% roll with the lack of the JL in the title, if we get more Mera holding down the fort.

I want lots more Mera tbh.
    Me too! Mera joined a lot of issues ago and has barely been in the book at all since. Even when she does appear she rarely speaks or interacts with the rest of the team. Such a long wait to see her join the JL and they're totally disregarding she's even there.

BANNED

I don't really care for it. Dropped the book after 5 or 6 issues. It was a chore to read even those to be honest.

Usually I like Snyder too, but not here.