Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Rate it: Batman by Tom King

I’ve read everything up to the brave and the mold, but missed out on War of Jokes and Riddles, and rules of engagement. But overall I think it’s a great run, and it’s a much better batman comic than Tynion’s detective, along with being a huge improvement over Snyder’ s run. Tom King is a fantastic writer; he could write any Dc character and I’d be cool with it.

An outstanding run
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

A solid run.

Not the Batman I want.

I think a lot of King's concepts and ideas are pretty good. I think his actual writing style is pretty damn bad; it sets my teeth on edge. I'm also not a big fan of how romanticized (for lack of a better term) a lot of things in it are.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've been enjoying his run a lot and think its a pretty solid run overall.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The worst run by one of DC's best writers is still better than 90% of everything else on the shelves. It has consistently improved with each arc. It's the most human Batman has been in a good while. Better than any Batman story since the Court of Owls and any other lesser title like Detective Comics since the beginning of the New 52.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 12-19-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Less mean to JT IV
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Catwoman is my favorite DC character by a wide margin. Any writer that that includes Catwoman in a story in a meaningful way and in character is A-OK by me. So I love Tom King.
    If he ever gets tired of writing Batman my hope is he writes a Catwoman solo series.

I like it. I think it's good and I think he will get more action focused later on in the run.

Astonishing Member

Hit and miss. Granted I've read a small sample.

BANNED

It's welcoming for people who are new to batman, or haven't read his comics faithfully. But some of the re imaginings of the characters are off the mark (Talia). I've really liked the art (which is part of the script!)

It isn't disappointing, but it isn't quite fulfilling.

BANNED

Year 1 I'd give a 7
    Year 2 is a really mixed bag, the things I like I really like but there are tons of problems. Hard to rate imo.

A fantastic run thus far - four out of five stars.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Not as good as I expected, anyway Tom finally give us a human Batman and that's a good news for me.