Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books about DC

Incredible Member

Default Books about DC

Hi. Can anybody recomend any books about DC. Like not DC comic books, but books about the writers and the company and the history of it all.

I was reading Grant Morrison's sort-of autobiography Supergods which sort of touches on it, but I would like a whole book on it. There is a Marvel Comics The Untold Sotry, but is there anything similar about DC ?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Hi. Can anybody recomend any books about DC. Like not DC comic books, but books about the writers and the company and the history of it all.

I was reading Grant Morrison's sort-of autobiography Supergods which sort of touches on it, but I would like a whole book on it. There is a Marvel Comics The Untold Sotry, but is there anything similar about DC ?
    Supergods is the only one I am aware of, and it's great.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Paul Levitz's MONSTER book '75 Years of DC Comics The Art of Modern Mythmaking' springs to mind.
    I did find it in a bookstore a long time ago, but didn't have the $350.00 they wanted for it!
    Last edited by married guy; 04-21-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Les Daniels has a books, but it might be out of print and a bit out of date now...

There are some about specific characters and creators...

more to follow...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

There's also the book All in COlor for a Dime edited by Don Thompson and Dick Lupoff that is a bunch of essays about the early years of the comic industry and DC features prominently in it.

You can also check out issues of Alter Ego and Back Issue Magazine form TwoMorrows that explore golden/silver age and bronze age comics and history respectively, as many feature articles about DC history.

-M

There's also Tucker Reed's book Slugfest about the competition between DC and Marvel through the years.

-M

Dark Night: A true Batman Story

I don't regularly subscribe but pick up occasion issues of TwoMorrow Publishing's Back Issue and assorted other mags they release. Have you ever read any of these? They recently put out a great TPB re: what led up to the infamous DC Implosion and the aftermath--also a large number of "Companion" TPBs that cover the histories of (for example) All Star Comics, Quality Comics, the Flash, Silver Age Sci-Fi titles/characters, etc. They're all packed with interviews and historical information re: the world of comic books and its characters and creators. Well worth $8-11.

Extraordinary Member

By far, my favorite book about DC Comics is the DC Comics Year By Year Visual Chronicle.

This amazing book goes year by year and highlights all the important things that happened within each year. It covers all the essential heroes, groups, villains and supporting characters with their introductions, important moments, deaths, or major changes.

The only important moment that I could see that it doesn't cover is the death of the pocket universe Superboy, which was a pretty big deal when it happened.

Other than that, you will love going down memory lane with issue covers, great art, and plenty of facts about the history of the DC Universe. I highly recommend it.

Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones

https://www.amazon.com/Men-Tomorrow-.../dp/0465036570

Probably being boycotted because of Mr. Jones's legal problems, but great nonetheless.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    By far, my favorite book about DC Comics is the DC Comics Year By Year Visual Chronicle.

This amazing book goes year by year and highlights all the important things that happened within each year. It covers all the essential heroes, groups, villains and supporting characters with their introductions, important moments, deaths, or major changes.

The only important moment that I could see that it doesn't cover is the death of the pocket universe Superboy, which was a pretty big deal when it happened.

Other than that, you will love going down memory lane with issue covers, great art, and plenty of facts about the history of the DC Universe. I highly recommend it.
    Looks like this one's being updated to include everything that's happening with DC right now (HiC, D-Clock, etc) to be released Oct 1 of this year...

https://smile.amazon.com/DC-Comics-Y...gateway&sr=8-2

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Wasn't aware about some of these, they look interesting.

I would look up any of the above books on Amazon.com.

They often let you browse sample pages from the book to see if it appeals to you.

Also, they offer "Other Suggestions" of related books that might give you some good alternatives that we haven't listed.

The Paul Levitz 75 Years Book has been reprinted broken up into 2 or 3 individual books to make them more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I don't regularly subscribe but pick up occasion issues of TwoMorrow Publishing's Back Issue and assorted other mags they release. Have you ever read any of these? They recently put out a great TPB re: what led up to the infamous DC Implosion and the aftermath--also a large number of "Companion" TPBs that cover the histories of (for example) All Star Comics, Quality Comics, the Flash, Silver Age Sci-Fi titles/characters, etc. They're all packed with interviews and historical information re: the world of comic books and its characters and creators. Well worth $8-11.
    Thank you for posting this, I didn’t know of these and managed to pick up a couple cheaply on eBay