Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Fresh Start is reaching 1 year

Whats your take of it.Me i love what marvel is doing all the Books are great expertly
    Thor Venom and the Immortal Hulk

I think it’s their strongest rebrand since Secret Wars ended.

it sucks, the direction of the overall line is ass, i might say dc is better

There are so many great books going, though!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Fresh Start have been a great rebrand of the line.
    Immortal Hulk,Conan,Fantastic Four,Amazing Spider-Man,Avengers to say a few are comic books that have been awesome.

BANNED

I like it a lot

Venom, Immortal Hulk, various spider-man titles, Dr Strange etc are all very enjoyable

I'm way behind on several books (Fantastic Four, Captain America) but of what I've read, Immortal Hulk, Daredevil, and The Invaders have been my favorites. Traditionally, I don't read a lot of Iron Man so I couldn't say where the current series ranks among diehard fans, but Tony Stark: Iron Man is *my* favorite volume of the character since Kurt Busiek.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    it sucks, the direction of the overall line is ass, i might say dc is better
    It'd be nice if you would elaborate on why it's a weak line

I've found it relatively strong, but still not better than even DC on it's worst day.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    There really hasn’t been a fresh start
    The books have very clearly improved and shifted in direction since Legacy.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-22-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Prior to Fresh Start I didn't see any books that I wanted to see. I didn't buy anything. With Fresh Start I did buy one series, was disappointed in the ending. Haven't seen any other books that make me reach for my wallet. Just like before Fresh Start, there wasn't any title that made me leap for joy. I know it's not "more of the same", but it kinda is.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It'd be nice if you would elaborate on why it's a weak line

I've found it relatively strong, but still not better than even DC on it's worst day.

The books have very clearly improved and shifted in direction since Legacy.
    There are less properties being used, Conan, flagship books that were mediocre in ANAD are much better (I mean Iron Man), but ones that were good to great before are now mediocre (Captain America, Deadpool, Black Panther) -- and this is usual for a line restart so I wouldn't be that fussed if there weren't bigger problems, the Avengers line is the weakest its been in years because there's only one of them, Aaron's Avengers is great but has no clear direction for the line (unlike Justice League), X-Men stay wack and somehow got even worse starting from Legacy, more double dipping into solo properties than before, the handling of the leftover major plot threads from ANAD has been next level incompetent (unlike Justice League), a real publisher actually let Chris Hastings escape them, and I'm procrastinating getting Endgame tickets.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Lots of thoughts on this... some only tangentially related to your question ... so to spare you tons of reading here's the TLDR version

• Marvel "rebrands" anually as they mimic TV seasons for accesibility. It helps audiences jump on easier as new readers. I wouldn't read into it as if it's some major course correction. Sometimes it may be but other times its just announcing the next cycle. Think of it as when we see "Gotham: Rise of the Villians". Was that TV season really that tonally different from others? Nope. Neither is this.
    • This last year has been a bit unique for me, personally. I actually am collecting fewer regular issues, but the ones I am getting I'm enjoying a TON. I'm getting a lot more limited story books, and enjoying them imensely ... but to get them I did end up dropping some of my "old go-tos" as they have lost some enjoyment for me.
    • My overall buy amount has stayed static, so from a wallet perspective I think Marvel will rate it neutral.

Little more detail on the above, I'm really down to 3 on-going books I"m reading and that's it. That's a decent drop for me, but the ones I"m reading I'm REALLY enjoying and comitted to. Immortal Hulk, Gaurdians of hte Galaxy, and Asgaurdians of the Galaxy have all been great (though I think asgaurdians hasn't fully left limited terrtory ... just was allowed another arc ... so it may only be 2 regular books). That said, my raw book-buy amount didn't actually drop because limited runs like Cosmic Ghost Rider, The Defenders/Best Defense, Domino, and others have been absolutely fantastic. So in the end, Marvel overall quality has gone up for me, but my buying patterns have deifnately changed.

I mentioned dropping some books. Thor was the big drop for me. I actually realy enjoyed the Jane Thor run, and despite being excited for his return, I've not been digging Thor's latest tale, though I may pick it back up as I'm assuming Molnjir will return to him by the end of the War of the Realms and I'd like to see how that arc finally ends. X-23 was another, while I absolutely loved the cookoos opening story, I quickly lost interest after that. Other books simply "resolved". Thanos was one. I liked that book, wasn't ready for it to be over, especially after the Thanos Wins arc, though Guardians seems to finally be picking that sotry back up . So yeah, they came off my pull list and instead I grabbed limited runs that fit my desires.

I think this last year has definetly been a good solid year for Marvel. And yes ... we will get a new "Relaunch" this summer when War of the Realms wraps up ... becuase that's just how things work. I have my books I"m secreatly hoping to see anounced so I can replenish my regular pull list... but Marvel has done a great job at giving me short stories so I'm overall pleased.

EDIT: my spelling is appauling.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 04-22-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Fresh Start is reaching 1 year
    So, how soon does Marvel launch
    All-New Fresh Start?

Fresh start was clearly purely marketing. There really hasn’t been a fresh start and overall I would say we are still in the Legacy era just without the strong emphasis on issue numbers. Not that this is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Fresh start was clearly purely marketing. There really hasn’t been a fresh start and overall I would say we are still in the Legacy era just without the strong emphasis on issue numbers. Not that this is a bad thing.
    Legacy was over as soon as Axel Alonso was replaced as Editor in Chief by CB Cebulski.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman