Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    True although I'll say I enjoyed the aspect of "smaller" Villains banding together to take on a weakened version of the Avengers at the time.
    Absolutely. That sort of thing can be great. The problem lately is that the groups have been getting too big, and including characters who are either too powerful or whose personalities don't make sense to be working in that sort of an alliance. And then we end up with just a mass of 'action figure' villains being thrown at the heroes as cannon fodder, with no strategy, personality, etc.

Its also a problem we sometimes see the other way around with "every Avenger ever" gatherings. When done right, they are fantastic and warm the fans' hearts. But the writers and artists have to remember to make sure that all of those characters get even just a single panel to shine--otherwise they are nothing more than a face in the crowd, and the whole thing backfires on you. Instead of the fans being happy and excited to see old favourites, we get disappointed and frustrated.

Whether its heroes or villains the creative teams have to remember that its not just enough to have the faces show up. They have to use them in some way that displays either their personalities or their power sets, to show that they have actually put some thought into that character's appearance in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Absolutely. That sort of thing can be great. The problem lately is that the groups have been getting too big, and including characters who are either too powerful or whose personalities don't make sense to be working in that sort of an alliance. And then we end up with just a mass of 'action figure' villains being thrown at the heroes as cannon fodder, with no strategy, personality, etc.

Its also a problem we sometimes see the other way around with "every Avenger ever" gatherings. When done right, they are fantastic and warm the fans' hearts. But the writers and artists have to remember to make sure that all of those characters get even just a single panel to shine--otherwise they are nothing more than a face in the crowd, and the whole thing backfires on you. Instead of the fans being happy and excited to see old favourites, we get disappointed and frustrated.

Whether its heroes or villains the creative teams have to remember that its not just enough to have the faces show up. They have to use them in some way that displays either their personalities or their power sets, to show that they have actually put some thought into that character's appearance in the story.
    Wise words right there. Secret Wars felt like that to me for long stretches even during the build up.

@all:
    On an unrelated note: I'm not reading too many books right now. Has Clint had any appearances in other books over the last like... two months or so?
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Crossfire putting a bounty on Hawkeyes arm which lead to a bunch of bounty hunting supervillains coming after him was pretty cool.

Clint being on the run, being chased by an army of mercenaries looking to collect a bounty on him would make a solid plot to adapt for TV or a film.

Astonishing Member

On an unrelated note: I'm not reading too many books right now. Has Clint had any appearances in other books over the last like... two months or so?
    Clint was in the ABSOLUTE CARNAGE: AVENGERS one-shot.

Clint was in the ABSOLUTE CARNAGE: AVENGERS one-shot.
    Thanks. I'll ask around of someone I know picked it up.

EDIT:
    Wow Clint actually got a really good showing there. To be the stand out guy in an issue that featured Cap, Spiderman and Wolverine means quite a bit.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-14-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

BANNED

West Coast Avengers #3 Nov 1984
    "Taking Care of Business!" Guest-starring the Shroud.
    Graviton is back! And the powerful Master of Gravity is ready to start a new criminal enterprise in Southern California!

In the meantime Wonder Man, Tigra and the Shroud continue searching for the Blank!
    And good news... the trio finds him! But they also find his new boss... Graviton!

Hawkeye wanted a challenge for his new team

and now he has one... in spades!

Flashback cameo by Thor to recap Graviton's prior appearance in Thor 324.
    NOTES: The events of Thor 349 impact this story. Graviton previously battled Earth's Mightiest Heroes in Avengers 158 & 159.

Script by Roger Stern. Pencils by Bob Hall. Inks by Brett Breeding.

Lots of QnA from Rosenberg on Twitter lately re Freefall.. Spidey, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Bucky, Nat, and Falcon all popping up at some point.

Yeah I've been following some of it but I still missed a majority of what you mentioned.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

and now he has one... in spades!
    That girl on the right seems surprisingly into Graviton killing Wonder Man...
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Lots of QnA from Rosenberg on Twitter lately re Freefall.. Spidey, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Bucky, Nat, and Falcon all popping up at some point.
    Lot of street level heroes.

(Won't it be a punch in the gut if Bucky and Natasha show up together ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    (Won't it be a punch in the gut if Bucky and Natasha show up together ?)
    Probably. Depends on the context.
    I haven't read Rosenberg's Punisher series but I know they all three showed up there and I assume the storyline from Tales of suspense continued somewhat but really I'm clueless.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-23-2019 at 03:17 PM.

My Twitter

Probably. Depends on the context.
    I haven't read Rosenberg's Punisher series but I know they all three showed up there and I assume the storyline from Tales of suspense continued somewhat but really I'm clueless.
    It was very very vaguely continued... less that I'd hoped.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    We knew Spidey from the solicits. Bucky and Natasha make sense. DD, Cage and Falcon are somewhat random though.

Given the whole "Ronin" thing, you'd think Echo and Blade (aka the first Ronin and the most recent Ronin) would be on the list. Unless this new Ronin is leaving arrows or something at the scene, I have no idea why people would automatically assume the new Ronin has anything to do with Clint. He's one of four people who have used the identity.

Astonishing Member

Thanks. I'll ask around of someone I know picked it up.

EDIT:
    Wow Clint actually got a really good showing there. To be the stand out guy in an issue that featured Cap, Spiderman and Wolverine means quite a bit.
    Yeah, they really gave Clint a lot of focus in that one-shot. It was a pleasant surprise.

We knew Spidey from the solicits. Bucky and Natasha make sense. DD, Cage and Falcon are somewhat random though.
    Not unless you're a Marvel Comics Historian. Both Hawkeye & Daredevil have a thing for Natasha, and even fought over her once. And when the Falcon became a member of the Avengers, Hawkeye got the boot because he put the team over the membership-limit at the time.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-23-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Given the whole "Ronin" thing, you'd think Echo and Blade (aka the first Ronin and the most recent Ronin) would be on the list. Unless this new Ronin is leaving arrows or something at the scene, I have no idea why people would automatically assume the new Ronin has anything to do with Clint. He's one of four people who have used the identity.
    I wondered that at first too, but I think Clint was the only one who went public as Ronin? Maya operated in complete secrecy (and was only ever Ronin while she was in Japan), Alexei's plan never came to fruition, and Blade only used that identity for a short amount of time and never unmasked as far as I remember. Whereas Clint took off the mask on camera and said, "Hey, I'm Clint Barton aka Hawkeye aka Ronin." So it's possible that the American public doesn't know that anyone else has ever used this identity.