Im really liking Maggie and I hope she leaves a strong enough impression by the end of this run to stick around ^^

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

MUCH better art this time around, which makes these preview pages more enjoyable than the last few.

Also, I love that the issue number starting the sex arc is 69.

One thing that struck me while reading the preview right after having read the latest Golden Age reread stuff is how similar Maggie is to the original Etta Candy: a lot of physicality, not a shred of shame, always ready to jump in feet first, and a strong positive outlook on life. I think that was a type of sidekick that Wonder Woman needed, and Etta has moved away from that template for a long time, and to such a degree that Wilson needed to invented a wholly new character to fill that slot. Which is especially sad since I think that type of character is near and dear to Wilson—there is a lot of similarity in personality between Maggie and Kamala Khan.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    One thing that struck me while reading the preview right after having read the latest Golden Age reread stuff is how similar Maggie is to the original Etta Candy: a lot of physicality, not a shred of shame, always ready to jump in feet first, and a strong positive outlook on life. I think that was a type of sidekick that Wonder Woman needed, and Etta has moved away from that template for a long time, and to such a degree that Wilson needed to invented a wholly new character to fill that slot. Which is especially sad since I think that type of character is near and dear to Wilson—there is a lot of similarity in personality between Maggie and Kamala Khan.
    A classic-worthy cast, here...

I think a Diana-Maggie-Aphrodite or Diana-Maggie-Doris thing would balance the comic and humanize the leading lady, very well. I also like Diana having a mystical ally, like Aphrodite, who is a regular, supporting character, ..AND who understands the myth-inspired world that Diana comes from, as well as Diana does. Maggie ties her to the human experience, as much as Aphrodite represents Diana's supernatural background and the chaotic role it plays in her on-going narrative. I love it, and, as much as I have been a fan of Etta, I think the WW comic has found a classic-worthy cast ..and should move forward, with Maggie, Aphrodite and/or Doris permanently in place.

The dynamic of the three of them together is as deserving of exploration and longevity, as any comic book supporting cast I've seen - Batman-Robin-Alfred, Spider-Man-Betty-J. Jonah, Superman-Lois-Jimmy. G. Willow Wilson has put this comic on a good, solid path, with characters that readers, new and old, can emotionally invest in and look forward to reading about. Let's hope the Bat-shop agrees and gives it an editorial chance, ..by insisting that future writers use and build on what Ms. Wilson has created.

Wilson has brought me back to WW. I will buy WW #69.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-23-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!