Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I mostly agree with this review

That the film doesn’t fully reconcile its two impulses over the course of its too-long three-hour running time may make it an endurance test for those not already neck-deep invested in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), but it’s a Valentine for fans who’ve come to know and love some of these characters on screen for more than a decade

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Reddit is in total and complete meltdown after the premiere last night.

There's some creative decisions in the movie that might not go down well with the general audience.

I have no idea how it will affect the box office.
    Nothing will be effected. I saw the film. It's going to easily leapfrog Infinity War. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Given the reviews are insanely positive this far I'm guessing these story Arcs better on screen then on paper.

From those of you who Have seen it how does it compare to other CBMs. I've seen critics say some crazy stuff about this movie like best CBM ever and things of that nature. Seen one review where they said they literaly cries 6 different times in this movie. And a common reaction I've seen more then once is that this is a perfect end to everything that came before.
    This was the most epic film experience I've ever had. Even more epic than last year by a huge margin. I'm emotionally drained. What I saw on film production wise, everyone that was involved, I didn't think the logistics would even make that possible. Already seeing it again tomorrow with my wife.

I live in Macau, and I've never witnessed so much emotion in a theater here before. People are usually reserved at the cinema. Definitely not this time. It was surreal. I can't imagine how awesome it will be with American audiences. That's the only regret I have seeing it here.

I hate to gatekeep, but in my opinion if you read spoilers, you're just cheating yourself out of a once in a lifetime experience. Absorbing the narrative for the first time through simply reading a synopsis or worse leaks, just isn't the same. This film is clearly the culmination of the entire MCU rolled into one. It's a love letter to the fans that have invested their time in watching, and even though Marvel is going to continue after this, Endgame clearly feels like the end of a long emotional 10 year odyssey.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Nothing will be effected. I saw the film. It's going to easily leapfrog Infinity War. Easily.
    Wow, that's good to hear.

The reviews so far have been very good.

This was the most epic film experience I've ever had. Even more epic than last year by a huge margin. I'm emotionally drained. What I saw on film production wise, everyone that was involved, I didn't think the logistics would even make that possible. Already seeing it again tomorrow with my wife.

I live in Macau, and I've never witnessed so much emotion in a theater here before. People are usually reserved at the cinema. Definitely not this time. It was surreal. I can't imagine how awesome it will be with American audiences. That's the only regret I have seeing it here.

I hate to gatekeep, but in my opinion if you read spoilers, you're just cheating yourself out of a once in a lifetime experience. Absorbing the narrative for the first time through simply reading a synopsis or worse leaks, just isn't the same. This film is clearly the culmination of the entire MCU rolled into one. It's a love letter to the fans that have invested their time in watching, and even though Marvel is going to continue after this, Endgame clearly feels like the end of a long emotional 10 year odyssey.
    Wow yea cant wait till Thursday night here in America. 3hours is gonna take a toll on my back since the town I'm living in right now doesnt have a luxury plus theater with the lazy boys. So its oldschool theater seats. But so worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is this 100% or maybe they just didnt show it during the premier?
    It's true, but there is something to listen to you want to stay for it. A sound. Not important, but it's there. A type of love-letter thing.

BANNED

I hate to gatekeep, but in my opinion if you read spoilers, you're just cheating yourself out of a once in a lifetime experience
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. Knowing what happens makes the movie go by much quicker and allows me to think more critically and less like a fanboy. I've heard people say "this is the greatest cinematic experience of my life" about every single one of these movies now that I roll my eyes, because even when I do go in unspoiled, I'm left underwhelmed by the majority of them. All of which put a big emphasis on comedy than seriousness. I appreciate how the MCU is occasionally a middle-finger to the stale tired unbending status quos of comics, but there's only so many times one can say they're the greatest thing ever before someone says "I can't be the only one who sees a giant chicken on set can I?" (Animaniacs reference)

Almost twenty years ago, the "most epic cinema experience" was Lord of the Rings, this too will be surpassed.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-24-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm doing nothing of the sort. Knowing what happens makes the movie go by much quicker and allows me to think more critically and less like a fanboy. I've heard people say "this is the greatest cinematic experience of my life" about every single one of these movies now that I roll my eyes, because even when I do go in unspoiled, I'm left underwhelmed by the majority of them. All of which put a big emphasis on comedy than seriousness. I appreciate how the MCU is occasionally a middle-finger to the stale tired unbending status quos of comics, but there's only so many times one can say they're the greatest thing ever before someone says "I can't be the only one who sees a giant chicken on set can I?" (Animaniacs reference)

Almost twenty years ago, the "most epic cinema experience" was Lord of the Rings, this too will be surpassed.
    For me, there were a number of jokes that felt out of place. But I think those were there due to the fact the movie takes a very serious turn towards the end. There are also a few plotholes that need addressing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Why does watching a movie have to go by quicker? Is your life schedule that tight? Can't you just watch the movie multiple times? Why do you need to watch a film with a critical eye on the initial viewing? Just seems like unnecessarily turning film watching into something academic when it doesn't have to be. Weird. Do you spoil every film before you watch it yourself? Every book? Every comic? Or just the ones with a lot of high praise? Do you really need to think critically at epic moments like Captain America picking up Thor's hammer and bashing Thanos with it? If you watch a movie, and don't understand everything the first time, that's okay you know. You can watch it again later.

Also, no one said nothing can be surpassed. It doesn't negate the experience that people believe at the time is the apex of their personal viewing history. Lord of the Rings 20 years ago is completely irrelevant. If that was the most epic viewing experience at the time too, great. If it still is, great.

Also, god forbid people being fanboys/geeking out watching a film? Goodness.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 07:52 AM.

As someone who is not going to see this for months, and possible not until it appears by the checkout at my local Target, I would appreciate more spoilers in this, the spoilers thread.

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    As someone who is not going to see this for months, and possible not until it appears by the checkout at my local Target, I would appreciate more spoilers in this, the spoilers thread.
    That's understandable if you are in a certain circumstance where you won't be able to see the film for a while, and avoiding spoilers will essentially be impossible.

The MarvelStudiosSpoilers reddit has the entire film spoiled for you. People there are freaking out though, after reading about the narrative through just paragraphs/bullet points without any visual context. Pretty funny.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 04-24-2019 at 02:05 AM.

This is obviously only my opinion, but I will preface this by saying that I thought Infinity War was a better movie. This is not because End Game is bad by any means, but the beginning feels a little disjointed to me and the middle at times feels like the reigns were given to another director and screenwriter and the tone shifted to something comporable to Thor: Ragnarok, which was unexpected and didn't really fit into the narrative that the last act of the movie was headed towards. The last hour of the movie totally saved it for me and made the entire journey worth it.

The movie starts off almost seamlessy with where Infinity War and its end credit scene end, but it is never explained how Carol finds Tony. Are we to assume that she was sent by the Avengers to go out and search for him or did she just happen upon him and bring him back on a recon mission or what was going on? This does not really matter in the overall plot, but it was a question I asked myself that was never answered.

And in reference to my comment about the tonal shift, I felt like the almost the entire "time heist" portion of the movie and the Lebowski Thor was pure comedy, which kind of took me out of the movie. There were sweet moments, like the interactions between Tony and his father, but overall it was my least favorite part of the movie. It was also very difficult for me to enjoy Thor in this movie, as he was almost unrecognizable to me as a character. I understand a lot of people like the direction that Ragnarok took Thor in, but this was too much for me. Yes, I laughed, but I found Thor to be quite obnoxious as he let himself go and was so blinded by his failure and loss that he almost couldn't function as a character and was essentialy only played for laughs.

I also think that, unfortunately, Natasha's death was handled just as poorly as Gamora's and didn't move me at all. The constant back and forth between Clint and Natasha, fighting over who gets to sacrifice themselves came across as very silly and actually made people in my showing laugh. I think it went on too long and was quite overexaggerated. I do think sometimes less is more and handling these scenes a little more subtly would have been more effective. The death of an original Avenger should affect the audience more than what it did.

I want to say that I loved the final battle and how all characters got a moment or several moments to shine. But Wanda by far, had me cheering the most. She got her chance for revenge and retribution. When she told Thanos "you took everything from me" and her eyes lit up and the fight ensued I was so excited. And Thanos responding, "I don't know you" and she threatening him with "You will" was so satisfying. It was fantastic.

The ending left me satisfied and eventhough it pains me to have lost Tony, I feel like he died a noble and heroic death and left behind a lasting legacy fitting for the character. I am excited to see what the MCU has in store for us in the future.

Pros:
    - The dusted returning
    - A-Force
    - Wanda fighting Thanos
    - Cap wielding Mjolnir
    - satisfying ending for most if not all characters
    - I have new found respect for Rocket and Nebula
    - gives a lot of hints for things to come in the future
    - unpredictible
    - epic battle that raised the bar once again for comic book action scenes
    - Thanos got what was coming to him

Cons:
    - disjointed beginning
    - Carol is not as prominent as promised and still comes off a little unlikeable
    - jarring tonal shift
    - Thor essentially being reduced to comic relief
    - Natasha's death was not handled well and many people in my showing laughed
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 04-24-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I enjoyed the film a lot, but not as much as I got hyped from reactions a day ago. Still, I can easily see how anyone who hasn't seen or forgot what happened in most of the 22 films would get lost, but that's fine. For them, they will early on just give up on understanding and just go with it.

I'll need a rewatch soon to clarify a few things. I can't remember if Peggy married someone else and had a family. I could have sworn from Agent Carter that she did. But I guess that's not continuity any more? Also, Sharon got seriously ghosted.

Aa far as time travel, I still don't see how returning the stones to moments after their removal preserves the other timeliness enough. So much other stuff still changed like Crossbones and Hydra agents thinking Cap is Hydra, how the Guardians of the Galaxy even get together with quite possibly original Groot still being alive then, other Loki still vanishing to wherever with Tesseract.

How are Peter's friends who didn't get dusted still in high school if five years have passed? Who the hell was the curly haired guy at the funeral behind Scarlet Witch that the camera lingered on? For a second I thought they undid Quicksilver's death and recast. Okay half the universe is back but what about all the damage, destruction, collapsed economies, destabilize governing powers, and people who have moved away and/or moved on, maybe even new lives or new marriages?

Just figured out curly haired guy...it's the kid from Iron Man 3, isn't it?

I agree with an above poster...Infinity War was a far better film on every level. This was good too, though.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 04-24-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Amazing Member

Where I am from, we got early screening which is on 24th April 2019

I watched it this morning at 10.45 am and I love Endgame and gonna see it again on Sat 27th in IMAX studio.

I feel like Infinity War & Endgame are different types of movies while having similarity in their own tones.

There are fews unexpected elements which I found to be very disheartening but I have no doubt endgame could reach 2B and more.

Yes Captain America !

Amazing Member

I have to say that Endgame has better action scenes for certain heroes.

And that A-Force though - top notch