Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

I saw Endgame yesterday and although I enjoyed it a lot, I think I enjoyed Infinity War more. Another viewing could change my mind though. There were a few times in the film that made me think "they got lucky there", but I've put that down to this film being the 1 in 14 million+ ways in which it could've happened. Such as the rat, assuming where the time stone would be and that Clint and Natasha were the ones to go and get the soul stone.

One thing that has got me wondering though, and I might be missing something, is that Scott was trapped in the quantum realm for 5 years, but to him it was only 5 hours. So why did Janet age 30ish years when she got trapped in there? Surely for her, she was only in there for 30 hours?
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I liked the scene too, but I'm still scratching my head about the time stone. Every other stone they knew an exact time and place to go get it. The time stone they were just like "Hey, if we pick the right time, there are three stones in New York City!" but they had no evidence to suggest that. They were hoping that Strange had the stone, hoping he would be in New York at the time, and if either of those were not true their plan totally fails.

But they got lucky and found someone else at the sanctum instead. But they approached the whole thing as part of a solid plan and it kinda wasn't.

Oh well. With a movie as great as this, I'll overlook that.
    Strange is the sorcerer supreme, so I think they thought he had probaly be doing it awhile. And its they're only shot they couldnt make another jump at that time. But yea that was the one stone they didnt 100% know it would be there. But they had a good idea it might

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I saw Endgame yesterday and although I enjoyed it a lot, I think I enjoyed Infinity War more. Another viewing could change my mind though. There were a few times in the film that made me think "they got lucky there", but I've put that down to this film being the 1 in 14 million+ ways in which it could've happened. Such as the rat, assuming where the time stone would be and that Clint and Natasha were the ones to go and get the soul stone.

One thing that has got me wondering though, and I might be missing something, is that Scott was trapped in the quantum realm for 5 years, but to him it was only 5 hours. So why did Janet age 30ish years when she got trapped in there? Surely for her, she was only in there for 30 hours?
    No idea but I assume time vortexes have something to do with it. But yea I dont know

The 5 year time jump was purely done for 4 characters.

Antman- to age up his daughter in the event Marvel decides to go with a team of young heroes. She can be Stature.

Tony Stark- to give him a period of happiness and some time with his daughter before his death

Bruce Banner- to give a beliveable timeframe for the audience. 5 years is enough time for fans to belive Banner did a lot of research and found a way to merge his two selves.

Thor- I don't think this one needed 5 years but they really wanted to show how much he'd fallen off and hit rock bottom I guess.

You could throw in Widow and Hawkeye. This allows Widow to be in charge for a decent period of time and gives a long enough period for Marvel to drop some plot points in feature films. Doesn't really lessen the sting of her death tho. I don't think a 5 year skip was necessary for Hawkeye who has never been a key character in any of these films.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yes, these are the kinds of consequences I want to see.

You know I was thinking earlier that most recent superhero movies that ive seen have started failing to show us how badly regular people are effected from al of the events going on. I think back to my more favorite superhero movies and recall that scenes with normal humans suffering, or at least reacting to, the villains’ work to be an important aspect of the experience.

When I think of a lot of modern superhero movies we really just stick with the heros the whole time and in a way I think this is a disservice. It makes the conflict seem a lot less important.
    I see your point. An example I can think of from the top of my head on comic book movies doing something like that might be TDK particularly with the ferry scene(which is often considered one of the worst parts of the movie) but I'm in the minority that quite enjoyed the scene because it put the Gotham populace in a moral dilemma, and we saw the civilians panicking over the gravity of their situation the antagonist put them in.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-28-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    which goes to my real problem with this film and that the third Act as more fan service ( Cap's overpowered and misplaced sentimental send off in the most egregious example) and Marvel Studios taking care of business by seeing actors out of contracts than closure on any of the arcs.
    Much of the film was fanservice. And while I don't typically go for such things when they're as painfully heavy-handed as parts of Endgame were, in this case? Completely, totally earned and proper. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Not for this film.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I liked the scene too, but I'm still scratching my head about the time stone. Every other stone they knew an exact time and place to go get it. The time stone they were just like "Hey, if we pick the right time, there are three stones in New York City!" but they had no evidence to suggest that. They were hoping that Strange had the stone, hoping he would be in New York at the time, and if either of those were not true their plan totally fails.

But they got lucky and found someone else at the sanctum instead. But they approached the whole thing as part of a solid plan and it kinda wasn't.

Oh well. With a movie as great as this, I'll overlook that.
    Oh it was totally a gamble. But flying by the seat of their pants and gambling is sorta what the Avengers do. Really, everything in Endgame is a gamble with long odds (14 million to 1), from hoping that rat would show up at the right time and step on the right buttons in Lang's van to hoping someone could use the Stones to undo the Snap. Every bit of it was, on one level or another, a gamble. Compared to most other factors, hoping that Strange and the Stone were in NYC during the Battle of New York is almost a safe bet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Much of the film was fanservice. And while I don't typically go for such things when they're as painfully heavy-handed as parts of Endgame were, in this case? Completely, totally earned and proper. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Not for this film.

Oh it was totally a gamble. But flying by the seat of their pants and gambling is sorta what the Avengers do. Really, everything in Endgame is a gamble with long odds (14 million to 1), from hoping that rat would show up at the right time and step on the right buttons in Lang's van to hoping someone could use the Stones to undo the Snap. Every bit of it was, on one level or another, a gamble. Compared to most other factors, hoping that Strange and the Stone were in NYC during the Battle of New York is almost a safe bet.
    I love what Kevin Smith said about fan service in his review for Endgame. Once you start doing sequels it's not about the art anymore it's about fan Service. Doesnt mean they cant be well made and done very artistically but it's all about fan Service at that point. I see nothing wrong with fan service if it's done well.

Ultimate Member

One thing that confuses me though. How did Clint and Nat not recognize Red Skull? I mean, he was Steve's first major enemy and not like he's hard to recognize

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    One thing that confuses me though. How did Clint and Nat not recognize Red Skull? I mean, he was Steve's first major enemy and not like he's hard to recognize
    Well, they never actually met the Red Skull, and he's been gone from the Earth since the 1940's. Chances are they didn't really have much incentive to read files on him that much, if at all.

He was long gone by the time the Avengers formed.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

How did Tony know Hank Pym and the Tesseract were both at Camp Lehigh?
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    He was long gone by the time the Avengers formed.
    Yeah, but his nickname was 'Red Skull', a major leader in Hydra and involved in Cap's disappearance. Just seems odd that they wouldn't know, is all

Janet warned him not to get sucked into a time vortex in the Ant-Man & The Wasp after credits scene. We can no-prize it and say that's what happened, but yeah they should've done a better job of explaining it. The way it comes across in the movie is that the quantum realm itself is a time vortex.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Bad writing by the Ant Man & Wasp team. It would have made much more sense for Janet to have only aged a day or so. As I watched AM & W, I kept wondering how Janet hadn't long since starved to death given that she was in the Quantum Realm for 30 years without food or water or anything else. But they didn't want to have a young Janet competing with Hope for the role of the Wasp, so they aged Janet even if it didn't make sense to do so. Just another poor choice in what I think was the worst of all MCU movies. The choice to age Janet 30 years looks even worse now that Endgame retconned how time works in the Quantum Realm.

I wondered the same thing. I just chalked it up to the Red Skull not being as notorious in the MCU as he is in 616, seeing as how in the MCU he disappeared in 1945 and was never seen again. Add in a disoriented Clint & Natasha with major problems on their mind, lost on an alien planet, and I guess it's plausible that they don't realize they're dealing with the Red Skull.

But Captain American certainly would have known. I think having Cap give the Soul Stone to the Red Skull, as was implied in the ending, is a plot hole. I can't imagine him doing that. At the very least they should have shown us their interaction.

The last part of the ending of Endgame- everything post Tony's death- is its weakest point. Too many things don't make sense. It was a great movie other than that.