Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite film or tv special originated from a children's book

What has been your favorite film or tv special that was adapted from a children's book.

It can be from a full-fledged book like Harry Potter or The Wizard of Oz...

or it can be from a picture book like How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I still consider it to be a great movie.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Probably Mary Poppins, if I have to pick just one.

The Witches with Angelica Huston as the big baddie.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Retired

The Chuck Jones adaptation of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS is perfection itself. The live action movies are unnecessary.

It was on PBS for a few years but the children's educational show Martha Speaks was really cute and well done. I watched it with my niece and got really hooked.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Even though it differed so much from the book, I have to go with The Wizard Of Oz. When I think of the fact that it was filmed in 1939, the special effects were remarkable. And the actors, songs, and sets were magical.

Before VHS, dvd, or streaming, my family planned our week around watching it when it came on tv once a year. It was an annual event for us.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Even though it differed so much from the book, I have to go with The Wizard Of Oz. When I think of the fact that it was filmed in 1939, the special effects were remarkable. And the actors, songs, and sets were magical.

Before VHS, dvd, or streaming, my family planned our week around watching it when it came on tv once a year. It was an annual event for us.
    Oh yeah, right around Easter time. Never missed it.

Retired

My memory is that THE WIZARD OF OZ was always shown around Christmas time in our local area (thus explaining why I always had nightmares at Christmas). I just take it as granted that WIZARD OF OZ is up there as one of the greatest movies ever made. However, I've yet to read the book--I've only read the comic book that was based on the movie--so I don't know much about how well it adapted the story.

The Grinch.

...or The Great Pumpkin. I'm not sure how "based on a children's book" this is, but I'm counting it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My memory is that THE WIZARD OF OZ was always shown around Christmas time in our local area (thus explaining why I always had nightmares at Christmas). I just take it as granted that WIZARD OF OZ is up there as one of the greatest movies ever made. However, I've yet to read the book--I've only read the comic book that was based on the movie--so I don't know much about how well it adapted the story.
    It's not too far off. In the book, Dorothy really did go to Oz, it wasn't just a dream. And the Oz characters being based on neighbors and farm hands was not in the book. Also, Dorothy's shoes were silver in the book, not rubies. A few more things, but it was still a great movie.

"You're a mean one, Mister Grinch..."

Need I say more? Of course I'm talking about the classic animated one. 30 minutes, yet done right. The Jim Carrey one has some funny moments, yes. But the original is the best for a reason.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Chuck Jones adaptation of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS is perfection itself. The live action movies are unnecessary.
    This, straight up.

And while a lot of people didn't like it, I am fond of the movie version of Where The Wild Things Are.

Retired

I thought of another one where I've read the book and seen the movie and enjoyed them equally: THE RAILWAY CHILDREN; the book by Edith Nesbit (1905) and the movie directed by Lionel Jeffries (1970). Jenny Agutter, Dinah Sheridan, Bernard Cribbins, Sally Thomset and Gary Warren star in the movie.