Page 102 of 106 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1579
  1. #1516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Which one?? Why would you say this and not tell us what it is??

    Was it Cap saying "Avengers Assemble"?? I need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Article is not clear at all.
    It was literally in the second paragraph, which was followed immediately by a quote.

  2. #1517
    Swollen Member GOLGO 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Given that they equate obesity with depression (and mental illness) and lack of masculine virtue that does seem to be the case.
    Story checks out. I'll allow it.

  3. #1518
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Given that they equate obesity with depression (and mental illness) and lack of masculine virtue that does seem to be the case.
    If they thought he lacked masculine virtue, then why did they have join in the time heist? Why didn't they see him and go, "Oh you're fat now. BYEEEEE FATTTIEE!"? Or however the kids make fun of the portly these days, I dunno.

    Instead they brought him in and gave him an important mission to help save half off all life in existence. Seems like they valued him despite his beer gut. Seemed like he held his own even while fat against Thanos in the end battle. At the end of the film, all the while still being fat, he comes to a personal acceptance of his role in life (i.e. never wanted to be a leader, and moves away from leadership role) and joined a new crew/life where he is confidant and proud about.

    Yeah, this is totally a fat shaming movie.

  4. #1519
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    If they thought he lacked masculine virtue, then why did they have join in the time heist? Why didn't they see him and go, "Oh you're fat now. BYEEEEE FATTTIEE!"? Or however the kids make fun of the portly these days, I dunno.

    Instead they brought him in and gave him an important mission to help save half off all life in existence. Seems like they valued him despite his beer gut. Seemed like he held his own even while fat against Thanos in the end battle. At the end of the film, all the while still being fat, he comes to a personal acceptance of his role in life (i.e. never wanted to be a leader, and moves away from leadership role) and joined a new crew/life where he is confidant and proud about.

    Yeah, this is totally a fat shaming movie.
    It's a fat shaming movie, I agree, but one of the key points of the movie though was that even with the massive PTSD and the obesity that came with it, Mjolnir came to him because his worthiness didn't depend on his depression. The other Avengers had him join in the time heist because they believed in him even if he didn't.

    That's not to say that it justifies the fat shaming at all. The movie can have Thor display both, it's just that the weight gain is played up for humor rather than as a real consequence of depression, and that's what turns it into fat shaming. It's done poorly. Just a few minor tweaks here and there and it wouldn't be the case (Watchmen, for all its faults, didn't really play Owlman's weight gain for humor, but rather to show that his life had changed and he had aged, for example).

    (on the same token, I understand while people would giggle or cheer when Thor decapitated Thanos, but that reaction kind of irks me, because I really don't think it was meant to be played for humor that came from a meme. Rather, Thor decapitated Thanos for redemption and couldn't find it after the fact, and so I really feel like Hemsworth was trying to play it as tragic vengeance, making his PTSD all the more understandable. This is a guy who wallowed in regret every single moment of every single day since Wakanda, and that was even before the 5 year jump).
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-16-2019 at 03:29 PM.

  5. #1520
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Honestly, I half expect them to state that Vision's android body had enough of the mind stone's imprint that created the neural pathways that would form Vision's memories and personality, and they just need a substitute power source to restore energy through those pathways. That is, the mind stone created the riverbeds, they just need a new source of water to restore the river.

    YES, I've been watching a lot of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes lately.
    Yeah maybe they could slide an arc reactor in his chest to help him out. lol

  6. #1521
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah maybe they could slide an arc reactor in his chest to help him out. lol
    Fish it out of the river! That's it!

  7. #1522
    The Ozman Who Laughs The Ozman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    (on the same token, I understand while people would giggle or cheer when Thor decapitated Thanos, but that reaction kind of irks me, because I really don't think it was meant to be played for humor that came from a meme. Rather, Thor decapitated Thanos for redemption and couldn't find it after the fact, and so I really feel like Hemsworth was trying to play it as tragic vengeance, making his PTSD all the more understandable. This is a guy who wallowed in regret every single moment of every single day since Wakanda, and that was even before the 5 year jump).
    This I agree with. The way he says "I went for the head" was really well delivered by Hemsworth, as you could tell that was the moment the full weight of his perceived failure hits him. Up until that point he'd really just been pissed, as Rocket points out, but he still had hope it could be undone, especially when they get a solid lead on Thanos. Once it becomes clear the stones are destroyed and all hope of reversing the snap was gone, he realises the only thing he has left is vengeance, so he does what he feels he should have done the first time hoping it will somehow redeem him. You can literally hear how hollow that victory feels as the shock hits him.

    The tragic part is that it was Thor's need for vengeance that allowed Thanos time to snap his fingers in the first place. If Thor had no real emotional connection to killing Thanos, he may very well have gone straight for the head the first time. After what had been done to his people, Loki, and specifically Heimdall, he wanted Thanos to know who killed him, and he wanted to see the pain and fear in his eyes as he pushed the axe into his chest. That indulgence is what cost them. Probably even more than Quill's mistake on Titan. That was a pure red mist moment. It was still a dumb move, but Quill has form for letting his emotions drive his actions, so the way he reacted was understandable. Thor had time to stew on what Thanos had done to him, and he knew he wanted to make Thanos suffer before he died.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

  8. #1523
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    It's a fat shaming movie, I agree, but one of the key points of the movie though was that even with the massive PTSD and the obesity that came with it, Mjolnir came to him because his worthiness didn't depend on his depression. The other Avengers had him join in the time heist because they believed in him even if he didn't.
    Hmmmm...Don't agree it's a fat-shaming movie. It's played for laughs at first because it's unexpected, but it's not like he's called names or portrayed in a negative light because of his body shape. It's a key part of his emotional journey.

    And...Mjolnir came to him because he got his head on straight after talking to his mother. He never tried to pick it up before that.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  9. #1524
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    It was literally in the second paragraph, which was followed immediately by a quote.
    It was also my favourite moment of the movie. It was so subtle and such a small moment within an epic scene, yet it made me catch my breath with the sheer brilliance of the callback. It also cleverly sets up the handing over of the shield.

  10. #1525
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,160

    Default

    i keep wanting to tell people "spoiler, Sherlock Holmes dies in Avengers."
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless


    "That's the problem with our opposition – they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

  11. #1526
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hmmmm...Don't agree it's a fat-shaming movie. It's played for laughs at first because it's unexpected, but it's not like he's called names or portrayed in a negative light because of his body shape. It's a key part of his emotional journey.

    And...Mjolnir came to him because he got his head on straight after talking to his mother. He never tried to pick it up before that.
    The writers also said the reason Thor didn't magically get back into shape when his armor and braids magically appeared was because they didnt want to send the message that fat people cant be super heroes.

  12. #1527
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    seattle washington
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Oh and, has no one mentioned that the fate of the universe depended ON A MOUSE hitting the right button to release Scott from the Quantum Realm?
    the one scene I missed refilling my popcorn
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

  13. #1528
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    5,006

    Default

    People theorized that the mouse might have been more than it seemed. Some have said it was really Loki, for instance.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  14. #1529
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Oh and, has no one mentioned that the fate of the universe depended ON A MOUSE hitting the right button to release Scott from the Quantum Realm?
    It has certainly been mentioned and theorised. We have to remember this is the one in 14 Million futures, so a few chance occurrences can be hand waved as ripples from Doctor Strange’s choices.

  15. #1530
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,927

    Default

    I assume he means the mouse is representative of Disney?
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •