Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    It was definitely the Bucky line.
    That line was a callback to Civil War, not BvS.

There seems to be disagreement over how the time travel worked in this movie and if any alternate realities were created due to the temporary removal of the infinity stones from the past.

I think I worked it out where it makes sense to me. However one thing I still cannot understand...

How do you return the soul stone? Did Cap travel back to Vormir in 2014, learn the Red Skull was the stone's keeper and just give it back to him!?

It has been repeatedly stated..."a soul for a soul". Could he have exchanged the soul stone for Natasha's life?

Is Natasha alive and well somewhere?

I thought it was great. Got chills when all the women were together. I was afraid Captain America was going to somehow sacrifice himself with the soul stone to get Black Widow back and she would be the one at the end that they are walking towards. Especially since they were grieving her and the rumors of Black Widow getting her own movie in the future. I'm glad that was not the ending.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    There seems to be disagreement over how the time travel worked in this movie and if any alternate realities were created due to the temporary removal of the infinity stones from the past.

I think I worked it out where it makes sense to me. However one thing I still cannot understand...

How do you return the soul stone? Did Cap travel back to Vormir in 2014, learn the Red Skull was the stone's keeper and just give it back to him!?

It has been repeatedly stated..."a soul for a soul". Could he have exchanged the soul stone for Natasha's life?

Is Natasha alive and well somewhere?
    You can agree or disagree with whether it makes sense, but I think the movie did a decent job explaining how time-travel was supposed to work in a general sense.

Basically, it boils down to these two rules:

1. If you go back in time and significantly alter history as you know it, you create a new branching timeline.

2. If you go back in time and manage to avoid significantly changing history, you don't create a new branching timeline.

So going back and, say, killing Thanos as a child would create a new reality and wouldn't help people in the original timeline. But Cap going back and quietly living his life without affecting history allows him to stay in the original timeline.

In the scene with the Ancient One and Banner, its explained that returning the Infinity Stones would erase the branches. That's also more or less what Cap says he's going to do in the end.

Now as far as the Soul Stone goes, I think Cap simply gives it back to the Red Skull...which is an interesting meeting I'd loved to have seen on-screen! But no, that wouldn't undo Natasha's death. Unless of course, somewhere down the line she's resurrected and it turns out that returning the Soul Stone might have had something to do with that.

Just got back from seeing it. Some random thoughts.

- I liked it a lot. A solid B+ for me. That's about as high as I go for most movies anyway unless they completely exhilarate and enthrall me from start to finish.

- The movie was 3 hours, and it felt like it. There was just a lot of setup and getting everyone in the same place. A lot of portentous speeches, not a ton of action. Once they got back to the present with the Infinity Stones, things picked up, but there were draggy parts before then.

- I liked that the original 6 Avengers: Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, and Hawkeye were the stars of the movie. It was appropriate especially since Black Widow and Hawkeye didn't do a ton in Infinity War. Even Captain America wasn't huge in IW for that matter.

- I liked that it all came down to Iron Man to save the day. This was very appropriate since it was Iron Man who began the MCU.

- I liked the ending for Captain America. He got to be with Peggy and they had a life together without negating his career as Captain America.

- However, the time travel stuff was a bit haywire, causing time paradoxes all over the place.

- Even though Endgame was bigger and "more important," I think I liked Infinity War better.

- This is not a movie I can see again anytime soon. It's just way too long, and there wasn't enough in it to reward repeated viewings now that all the plot points are known.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    You can agree or disagree with whether it makes sense, but I think the movie did a decent job explaining how time-travel was supposed to work in a general sense.

Basically, it boils down to these two rules:

1. If you go back in time and significantly alter history as you know it, you create a new branching timeline.

2. If you go back in time and manage to avoid significantly changing history, you don't create a new branching timeline.

So going back and, say, killing Thanos as a child would create a new reality and wouldn't help people in the original timeline. But Cap going back and quietly living his life without affecting history allows him to stay in the original timeline.

In the scene with the Ancient One and Banner, its explained that returning the Infinity Stones would erase the branches. That's also more or less what Cap says he's going to do in the end.

Now as far as the Soul Stone goes, I think Cap simply gives it back to the Red Skull...which is an interesting meeting I'd loved to have seen on-screen! But no, that wouldn't undo Natasha's death. Unless of course, somewhere down the line she's resurrected and it turns out that returning the Soul Stone might have had something to do with that.
    Could these time paradoxes lead to Kang showing up in future movies.
    Enjoyed this movie especially to the end parts, Cap using Mjolnir was epic.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I think my only...”issue” was Thanos, actually. We watched him all the way through Infinity War, only for that version to be killed quickly. The past version of Thanos had no emotional connection to The Avengers, and they didn’t with him either, really.

A part of me wishes it was “current” Thanos. Similar things could happen with him changing his mind and wanting to wipe EVERYTHING out, just this time I would have felt more of a connection.

But I also understand why they did what did, and the whole “I am inevitable” thing made Thanos less of a character and more of a destiny.

I loved it, the last battle may be the most satisfying thing I've ever seen in a movie. Was bouncing in my damn chair. Black Panther returning got applause from the audience and that was just the start.

Time Travel seems to be the hot topic: It seemed mostly straight forward to me. Almost a copy of the way time travel worked in DBZ. You can't change your present no matter what, you can create alternate timelines though. The only thing that stops that from working perfectly is Cap at the end. So I assume so long as you don't do anything major or contradictory the timeline isn't all that bothered. So I guess Steve just retired to a quiet life and didn't make any waves.

So definite confirmed alt timelines.
    Loki Escapes (This could be the Loki TV series. In a way it's brilliant and lets them have full control in that show without worrying about continuity)
    No more Thanos (There's now a universe where Thanos just up and disappeared)
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    97% of critics liked the movie. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean that's wrong. And I say this as someone who was colder on the movie.
    RT methodology is the problem. After reading a lot of fresh reviews, I realized about half of them are negative reviews, but are considered fresh by RT. This has always been a nock RT, unfortunately it’s not new.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wasn't aware that Cap could age.

Fantastic Member

I was also thinking that we don't even know that he spent his life with Peggy. All we know for certain is that he found her, they had their promised dance, and that he lived a life somewhere. Her history would have certainly changed had she been secretly married to Steve for 70 years. Now I'm thinking about this too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    A couple quick thoughts on the whole time-travel thing:

1. Include me in the group of people who believe Steve was always Peggy's husband and that returning to that time only fulfilled his destiny along the main timeline, rather than create a divergent timeline based upon his arrival. It plays into the lack of reveal of Peggy's husband, her years of looking at Steve's picture longingly can be interpreted as her missing him while she's at a new post (like Los Angeles in AGENT CARTER, assuming Steve arrived before the events of that show), and it could also explain why Sharon would be an ideal candidate to babysit the young Steve who awoke in the future. Yes, this makes the single kiss Steve and Sharon kissed a bit more than awkward, but like her aunt Sharon is a spy and can keep her trap shut and roll with the odd objectionable thing for the sake of the greater good of a mission.

2. As far as 2014 Gamora goes, when Tony dusted Thanos's forces, Gamora had already moved on from Thanos and his mission in her heart, well before traveling to the present, so I suspect the Gauntlet realized this on some level and spared her.

3. I just realized that it's a shame Marvel's primary time-traveler is a villain like Kang. If they had a Booster Gold-like hero whose primary motif is time travel, this film could've been a perfect launching point for that character getting his or her own film series, as well as a way to introduce new characters not tied to the present like Agents of Atlas, the Western heroes, and the like.
    Fantastic four can be the time traveling heroes. Maybe trying to fix any damage done during endgame to the time line.

Does the timeline really need repairing? Maybe it's just my inner comic book nerd talking but 2-3 alternate timelines, pfft that's nothing to worry about, I think the X-Men feature more than that with their average roster.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 04-27-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I think the X-Men can top that with their average roster.
    Hell, Fox-Men have that done that already.

There’s the Original trilogy ending, reset by DofP.

Then the current one that’s “40 years old” for no real reason, that’ll be reset with Dark Phoenix.

Then there’s whatever Wolverine Origins was.

And Logan’s Universe.

And then everything Deadpool.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    If that's all true though Dr Strange is screwed in Doctor strange 2 because The stones are all gone thanks to Thanos. Dormammu on his way lol. Naw Mordos next but the stones are gone in the present and that's not good
    No, Dormanmu will now stay rroght where he is.

They have a bargain
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor