Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Aside from perhaps Ben 10, all of those shows are rather goofy and comedic with silly art styles.
    You've never seen a lot of Adventure Time or Steven Universe, that's pretty obvious

Astonishing Member

Aside from perhaps Ben 10, all of those shows are rather goofy and comedic with silly art styles. They aren't your typical "Boy's action." This goes back to why I'm glad this show wasn't green lit. It looks like it would have been a goofy Superman show, and that's not something I would like to see from Superman. I would rather see a "Boy's action" Superman show because...well, it's SUPERMAN. He's kind of the epitome of boy's action. Goofy looking family adventures with little kids isn't a direction I'd like to see him take at this point in time.
    If Superman Family is goofy and comedic, it wouldn't be a show for you.

However, kid audience could enjoy this show. That was the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    While I don't follow Adventure Time or Steven Universe much, art styles aside, those series have actually delved into some pretty serious and controversial topics over their runs. So just brushing them off simply because of how their animation looks, well, it goes against the age old adage of "don't judge a book by its cover".
    The animation is a good motive to brush any show off, since it's a visual media. If you don't like the designs, you don't need to see something.

Although I think the designs for Superman Family are charming.

However, the discussion was about what kids like. They could like something goofy and comedic with silly art styles. It doesn't need to be serious or controversial.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-24-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Aside from perhaps Ben 10, all of those shows are rather goofy and comedic with silly art styles. They aren't your typical "Boy's action." This goes back to why I'm glad this show wasn't green lit. It looks like it would have been a goofy Superman show, and that's not something I would like to see from Superman. I would rather see a "Boy's action" Superman show because...well, it's SUPERMAN. He's kind of the epitome of boy's action. Goofy looking family adventures with little kids isn't a direction I'd like to see him take at this point in time.
    We need to stop running from goofy, too. The all-powerful "worship the BatGod NOW!" crap that had permeated into the social consciousness since DKR and Burton has gotten into our heads, as well (mine too at times, I'll admit). But now, ironically around Batman's 80th anniversary, that mentality is moving on. So now, a goofy show is ok. And appealing to a wider market than teen boys is ok, too.

When I was a kid, I watched The Super-Powers Team, Masters of the Universe, etc. But I also watched Care Bears, Garfield, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. It doesn't all have to be fights.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy something more like the Ruby-Spears cartoons again - I absolutely would. But I'd be very much ok with this not being that. Superman needs more saturation, imo, and things like this could be a very good start.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If Superman Family is goofy and comedic, it wouldn't be a show for you.

However, kid audience could enjoy this show. That was the discussion.

The animation is a good motive to brush any show off, since it's a visual media. If you don't like the designs, you don't need to see something.

Although I think the designs for Superman Family are charming.

However, the discussion was about what kids like. They could like something goofy and comedic with silly art styles. It doesn't need to be serious or controversial.
    Yup, and I will openly admit I do not watch those shows, because they look silly and goofy. The art style doesn't appeal to me, and it wouldn't appeal to me if I was a kid. I already mentioned the types of shows that I like.

Kids can like something silly and goofy, but that is not the direction I would like to see Superman go. This is the point I have been stressing. In the context of boy's action--the direction I would rather see Superman go--I don't believe kids are going to be that into that kid character. If it's a goofy show, who knows, but I would rather not even see a goofy Superman show at this point in time. I will also openly admit that I personally do not like that kid, or the concept of that kid, and I don't think he should exist at all, whether in the context of comics or cartoons. It seems to me like Superman has been written more to appeal to dads and I think that is an overall bad idea for the character, and I'm happy this isn't being pursued further with this cartoon. So I do have a bias against it based on that factor as well.

- Don't like the kids.
    - Don't like the art style.
    - Don't like the tone.

The only thing that I am on board with here is the idea of a Superman cartoon. Just...not like this.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-24-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

In the context of boy's action--the direction I would rather see Superman go--I don't believe kids are going to be that into that kid character.
    Superman Family would probably not be the boy's action cartoon you want.

That said, I think kids can be appealed by kid characters in a boy's action cartoon.

As a child, I really liked kid or young heroes in the action stories.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    We need to stop running from goofy, too. The all-powerful "worship the BatGod NOW!" crap that had permeated into the social consciousness since DKR and Burton has gotten into our heads, as well (mine too at times, I'll admit). But now, ironically around Batman's 80th anniversary, that mentality is moving on. So now, a goofy show is ok. And appealing to a wider market than teen boys is ok, too.

When I was a kid, I watched The Super-Powers Team, Masters of the Universe, etc. But I also watched Care Bears, Garfield, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. It doesn't all have to be fights.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy something more like the Ruby-Spears cartoons again - I absolutely would. But I'd be very much ok with this not being that. Superman needs more saturation, imo, and things like this could be a very good start.
    I don't mind comedic cartoons, but I don't want comedic SUPERHERO cartoons. I'm fine with Fairly Oddparents and Dexter's Lab, etc. But if Brave & Bold, JL Action, and TT Go never existed, I wouldn't have minded.

I want a thrilling, dramatic, action-packed Superman cartoon. Again, give Greg Weisman a chance at a Superman cartoon. Let him do a densely-plotted worldbuilding saga with the Superman mythos, and I bet he could do wonders with it.

And I think kids would love it, too. Just because a comedic take might appeal to kids doesn't mean they wouldn't want something more straightforward. I know as a kid I loved it when I felt a cartoon show was aiming itself at an older age than what I was.

What makes you even think Weisman wants to do that? No offense but your post just reeks of some fanboy fantasy. In Young Justice Clark spent Season 1 as a deadbeat dad for Kon to angst over, and has been a nonentity in Season 2 & 3. Weisman doesn’t seem that interested in him at all, he clearly prefers Batman given the heavy presence Batman has had in the show. I’m not interested in another Superman show made by a guy who would rather be making a Batman show.

The Superman Family show would’ve attracted kids to the Superman character is a positive way. That’s more than we’d ever get out of Weisman. You guys are more obsessed with what you want rather than what is good for the Superman IP. This was a colossal miss on WB’s part.

Yup, and I will openly admit I do not watch those shows, because they look silly and goofy. The art style doesn't appeal to me, and it wouldn't appeal to me if I was a kid. I already mentioned the types of shows that I like.

Kids can like something silly and goofy, but that is not the direction I would like to see Superman go. This is the point I have been stressing.
    No, the point you've been trying to make is that kids won't like the show due to Jon being a star and the series having a lighter take. Which isn't the case at all as noted by numerous people here.

It's absolutely fine if you don't like the idea of the show, and it doesn't appeal to you. You're completely entitled to that opinion. But to write off a show as a failure because it isn't marketed directly to what you want, as opposed to what the target demographic wants, is ridiculous.

It's all a futile point anyway because the show isn't being made regardless.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What makes you even think Weisman wants to do that? No offense but your post just reeks of some fanboy fantasy. In Young Justice Clark spent Season 1 as a deadbeat dad for Kon to angst over, and has been a nonentity in Season 2 & 3. Weisman doesn’t seem that interested in him at all, he clearly prefers Batman given the heavy presence Batman has had in the show. I’m not interested in another Superman show made by a guy who would rather be making a Batman show.

The Superman Family show would’ve attracted kids to the Superman character is a positive way. That’s more than we’d ever get out of Weisman. You guys are more obsessed with what you want rather than what is good for the Superman IP. This was a colossal miss on WB’s part.
    Of course I don't know if Weisman wants to do it. I'm posting an idea, so yes it's based in what I would want.

I was just going by Weisman's track record of being head honcho on Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Young Justice -- all 3 solid shows that are beloved by fans.

I don't know if Weisman likes Superman, and you don't know that he doesn't. He may like Batman and even prefer him, who knows? That doesn't mean he wouldn't want to do a Superman show that would do justice to the character.

He knows how to write an involving, well-plotted, exciting show, and that's what I want for Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I've actually been waiting for Weisman to do Superman since I was a child, not just coincidentally being nuts about Gargoyles but discovering Captain Atom, which he co wrote with legendary Superman writer Cary Bates.

For all the family friendliness that would help Superman hit the young demographic that's eluded him for some time, we've seen them often shoot the mark because there isn't a shortage of people who want a kick butt adventure hero with good aesthetics. Superman family here is pretty phenomenal as a concept but it kind of revolves around Jon.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I don't mind comedic cartoons, but I don't want comedic SUPERHERO cartoons. I'm fine with Fairly Oddparents and Dexter's Lab, etc. But if Brave & Bold, JL Action, and TT Go never existed, I wouldn't have minded.

I want a thrilling, dramatic, action-packed Superman cartoon. Again, give Greg Weisman a chance at a Superman cartoon. Let him do a densely-plotted worldbuilding saga with the Superman mythos, and I bet he could do wonders with it.

And I think kids would love it, too. Just because a comedic take might appeal to kids doesn't mean they wouldn't want something more straightforward. I know as a kid I loved it when I felt a cartoon show was aiming itself at an older age than what I was.
    Something can be goofy and fun without going so far as Teen Titans Go! - this look a lot more like a lighter version of "The Incredibles" than anything.

I'd be totally fine with what you're talking about. But what we've been shown here, taken on it's own potential merits, should have some space to live, too. It'd be a shame for something like this not to exist because there are other things we'd prefer. It could be a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I've actually been waiting for Weisman to do Superman since I was a child, not just coincidentally being nuts about Gargoyles but discovering Captain Atom, which he co wrote with legendary Superman writer Cary Bates.

For all the family friendliness that would help Superman hit the young demographic that's eluded him for some time, we've seen them often shoot the mark because there isn't a shortage of people who want a kick butt adventure hero with good aesthetics. Superman family here is pretty phenomenal as a concept but it kind of revolves around Jon.
    I'm ok with it revolving around Jon, actually. Clark'll be a primary supporting character, and in this instance that's not bad. We'd see him and Lois a lot more than we ever did in Krypto, at least.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Kids can like something silly and goofy, but that is not the direction I would like to see Superman go. This is the point I have been stressing. In the context of boy's action--the direction I would rather see Superman go--I don't believe kids are going to be that into that kid character. If it's a goofy show, who knows, but I would rather not even see a goofy Superman show at this point in time. I will also openly admit that I personally do not like that kid, or the concept of that kid, and I don't think he should exist at all, whether in the context of comics or cartoons. It seems to me like Superman has been written more to appeal to dads and I think that is an overall bad idea for the character, and I'm happy this isn't being pursued further with this cartoon. So I do have a bias against it based on that factor as well.

- Don't like the kids.
    - Don't like the art style.
    - Don't like the tone.

The only thing that I am on board with here is the idea of a Superman cartoon. Just...not like this.
    Dismissing something that could expand the Superman franchise to many new kids simply because you don't like the franchise?

And, I have to ask, ever watched the 2000s Teen Titans series? It had moments like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ca2uAl8Ew

Where Terra sacrifices herself to save the Titans and the city. The kind of stuff you demand a show have. And yet, it had a good balance with things like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0PRHc7MirU&t=105s

Wild and outrageous humor (with some more mild jokes as well). The combination is why so many that grew up with it still have fond memories and really wanted that 6th season.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

I'm ok with it revolving around Jon, actually. Clark'll be a primary supporting character, and in this instance that's not bad. We'd see him and Lois a lot more than we ever did in Krypto, at least.
    Spider man could pull off a Renew Your Vows cartoon like he pulled off Spiderverse because he’s more established in most other media (greater success in film, animation, and games across a much shorter period) while Superman has been ceding ground to other characters in every particular outing. Smallville technically didn’t have Superman and Krypton doesn’t even have Clark (I still wanna see it but afaik it’s not like Gotham with Kid Bruce). They’re still in a phase of getting people to love the character. For many in what I call my generation, Robin wasn’t a part of the Batman experience. Similarly they put so much of a clear focus on making sure the X Men worked that there wasn’t much left for Gen X.

On top of character focus, the all ages “and son” thing that puts the appeal to a younger crowd up front seems more like an Adult Swim appeal instead of a Saturday morning appeal from where I sit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Spider man could pull off a Renew Your Vows cartoon like he pulled off Spiderverse because he’s more established in most other media (greater success in film, animation, and games across a much shorter period) while Superman has been ceding ground to other characters in every particular outing. Smallville technically didn’t have Superman and Krypton doesn’t even have Clark (I still wanna see it but afaik it’s not like Gotham with Kid Bruce). They’re still in a phase of getting people to love the character. For many in what I call my generation, Robin wasn’t a part of the Batman experience. Similarly they put so much of a clear focus on making sure the X Men worked that there wasn’t much left for Gen X.

On top of character focus, the all ages “and son” thing that puts the appeal to a younger crowd up front seems more like an Adult Swim appeal instead of a Saturday morning appeal from where I sit.
    True that Spider-Man has had more multi-media successes, but people do have a strong sense of who Superman is (as many on here often cite as a detriment). And this can very much play into that and work. So it'd be easy to catch people up. And while he wouldn't be the absolute front-and-center character every time, he'd be one of the two main ones just behind Jon (which isn't the case in any of these other shows).

I think these things can be overthought. People loved Mr. Incredible right away, so I don't see how this would have to be all that different (characterization aside, of course). As for time slot, I could see this as an earlier-afternoon cartoon show, or something specifically on DCU.

I love the idea of this because it's different, and reaching for a different crowd than what DC/WB has (up until recently) been chasing after to no real avail. Get the super-young kids, the girls, the women, get the people often left out of the usual comics/media market (again, up until recently anyway). That's the kind of different that strikes me as really good, and really needed.
    Last edited by JAK; 04-25-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Mighty Member

It's a shame that this show never came into fruition... while I've gotten kind of tired of Superhero cartoons being comedies, I still think this would have been a good run. I can see this being more in tone with the current Superhero Girls series over Teen Titans Go. (As in still rather hyperactive, but less mean spirited and...juvenile). If we're lucky it would have been more in tone with Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

I'm one of the weirdoes who like more cartoony and stylistic art styles (I preferred a lot of the New Batman Adventures designs to BTAS...and I loved Spectacular Spider-Man's art style... sue me!), so not being "realistic" art wise would never bother me. Superman is one of the few adult male superhero characters who can have a natural family dynamic, so this would have been great for him.