Question Recommended classic Hulk runs?

So I've never been the biggest Hulk fan, but Ewing's Immortal run has really ignited my interest in the character. I've been meaning to read some of the best classic runs, but I don't know where to start.
    I've already read the first six issues by Lee, Ditko and Kirby, but I'm not sure the rest of those initial issues (Tales to Astonish/the first issues of the Incredible Hulk ongoing) are worth it.

I want to get to PAD's run someday, but I thought of reading some of the earlier classics before that.
    Do you guys recommend starting with Thomas, Englehart, Wein, Stern or Mantlo?
    Are there any I should skip?

Hulk changed writing hands a lot in the 70's, but the book was always good because of the art, especially Trimpe's and then Sal Buscema's. The 60's Astonish stories aren't as good but are worth a look for Ditko, Kirby, Severin, Everett, and Kane (one of the Kane stories has a page with Rick clinging to the Hulk's leg that breaks my heart, forgot the issue.) It also has the origins of Leader and Abomination, so... important! But for a fan of Immortal, all of that is clearly most influenced by Mantlo and Buscema's run, which for my money is on the same level as any era of PAD. And if you're done with that, there's only 20 issues left until PAD.

Huh, I'm not a big Hulk guy, but that book really has been generally pretty exceptional.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mantlo's stuff pretty much set the course for the modern Hulk, becoming far less reliant on the Savage Hulk persona (Which still pretty much remains the 'mainstream' Hulk though)....starting mainly with the "Banner Hulk" in which Bruce retained his personality in the Hulk's body (and could change back and forth at will) for a much longer time than usual. However, due to a number of factors this Hulk led way to a mute, even savager hulk, which also ended with perhaps Mantlo's biggest contribution to Hulk lore-that Bruce was abused, and the Hulk personas are basically his fractured mental state given form. Peter David, Paul Jenkins, Pak and Ewing in particular have focused on this aspect of the character most often, and of course it formed part of the basis for the 2003 Ang Lee Hulk movie.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

PAD's run on Hulk is not fully collected is it?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    PAD's run on Hulk is not fully collected is it?
    Not yet. But nearly complete.

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1: #331-339

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 2: #340-348

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 3: #349-348, Fantastic Four #320 and Web of Spider-Man #44.

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 4: #355-363, Marvel Comics Presents #26 & 45

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 5: #364-372 & Annual 16

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 6: #373-382

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 7: #383-389 & Annual 17

Hulk Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 8: #390-396 & Annual #18:

Epic Collections pick up where the PAD HULK VISIONARIES left off.

Vol. 19: Ghosts of the Past
    Collects Incredible Hulk #397-406 & Annual 18-19 and Return of the Defenders material from Namor the Sub-Mariner Annual 2, Silver Surfer Annual 5, and Dr. Strange, Sorcerer Supreme Annual 2, plus material from Marvel Holiday Special 2

Vol. 20: Future Imperfect
    Collects Incredible Hulk (1968) 407-419 & Annual 20; Hulk: Future Imperfect 1-2; Incredible Hulk Ashcan Edition; Material From Marvel Holiday Special 3

Vol. 21: Fall Of The Pantheon
    Collects Incredible Hulk #420-435, Tales to Astonish (1994) #1, and Incredible Hulk vs. Venom (1994) #1

Vol. 22: Ghosts of the Future
    Collects Incredible Hulk (1968) #436-448, Savage Hulk (1996) #1, Cutting Edge #1, Cable (1993) #34, and Onslaught: Marvel Universe

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So I've never been the biggest Hulk fan, but Ewing's Immortal run has really ignited my interest in the character. I've been meaning to read some of the best classic runs, but I don't know where to start.
    I've already read the first six issues by Lee, Ditko and Kirby, but I'm not sure the rest of those initial issues (Tales to Astonish/the first issues of the Incredible Hulk ongoing) are worth it.

I want to get to PAD's run someday, but I thought of reading some of the earlier classics before that.
    My sweet spot for the Hulk starts with Wein and goes thru part of PAD's run.
    HULK #179-426.
    #427 and up was plagued with problematic stuff going on in the industry at the time, crossovers, and starts/stops that were out of PAD's control.
    I recommend the "Tales to Astonish" stuff, especially the Lee/Ditko material. That's where they establish the transformation scheme we're all familiar with, and the first appearance of the childlike Savage Hulk and his 3rd person speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

The Hulk has never been my favorite character, but the Peter David run was awesome.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I'll repeat what I posted at another thread, months ago:

But let's go; I'll tell you how I did and how it worked for me. You could start with Mantlo's Incredible Hulk #271, which introduces the first radical change in the Banner/Hulk dynamics in the decades (Banner takes control of Hulk's body). Mantlo's run ends with #313.

Then, John Byrne's short, but important run, start with #314, ending with #319. Al Migrom takes it from there, until #330 (PAD has a fill-in issue with #328). I can say that those provided the "primordial soup" for what David did in his seminal run.

PAD's run officially starts with #331, and you can go from there.

That's what worked for me, and i think it's somewhat logical. I really hope it helps!

I’d get mantlo’s 3 trades + byrne’s first visionaries collection for a real nice long continuous varied run that will keep you entertained for awhile.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Wow, thanks for so many responses, guys! Looks like Mantlo is the most polular around here I'll probably start with his run and maybe select some key issues from the others.
    Is there anything before Mantlo I absolutely can't miss?

The Sal Buscema issues with Len Wein, Roger Stern and Bill Mantlo are a must in my opinion.