Default Questions About Recent Superman and DC Comics Releases

Hey, I haven't logged in here for a while, but as some folks might recall, I'm basically the New52 Superman guy- as in, he's my favorite Superman, and I never quite adjusted to "SuperDad". I gave the Rebirth comics a chance, but I had a lot of problems with them relative to my favorite era, and didn't feel like paying to keep up with them, ultimately, especially in the face of a lot of financial stress.

Anyway, my local library has a program where I can read DC Comics trade collections for free digitally by "checking them out" on a website using my library card ID on Hoopla. I'm limited to a half dozen a month (and have to "return" them), but I've been able to read all the Bendis Superman stuff that's been collected. I like the Bendis era stuff better than the Rebirth and the early Reborn Superman (This is still technically the Reborn Superman, of course, not a reboot or a retcon, but he's written a bit differently). Though it's by no means a return to the New52 Superman, which is the ideal for me, in style or substance, it's more of a generic Superman than Rebirth Superman (And it's not like I didn't like Superman before the New52, so while a generic isn't as good as New52 for me, it's better than the Rebirth Superman for me), with some of Bendis' humor and flair in there, which I enjoyed during his X-Men runs (Superman is genuinely funny! That's a plus.). It still leaves a little bit to be desired, I probably wouldn't pay for it, but for free (And legally so, to boot!)? Yup, I'll read it. It's an improvement at least. Jon's status quo change is helpful (I figure everyone who's read it knows what I'm talking about it, so I don't need to spoil it for people catching up), as is there being less focus on him in general- although at the point I'm at (Remember, the library program involves waiting on trades, so I'm a bit behind the latest monthlies) it's not 100% clear that'll stick (I hope it does- I feel like I can deal with Jon better that way, and it'll allow Bendis to continue to involve him a bit less in things as Jon would have greater independence). More typical Daily Planet drama and whatever is nice, too, etc..

Anyhow, got a few quick questions:

1. I remember at one point we were looking at a potential cover for Sideways that showed a presumably parallel universe Superman in the t-shirt and jeans look New52 Superman had during both the Grant Morrison run on Action Comics covering his earliest days in Metropolis and the one he adopted linewide during the Truth arc late in the New52 Superman's life as an independent entity. My favorite look was the Kryptonian body armor (Which is canon as a mostly unseen previous look for the current Superman now- He's shown in a flashback in that uniform when Lois is giving birth to Jon), but I liked the t-shirt and jeans thing, too, to a lesser extent.

So, my questions related to that are: A. Just in general, did that materialize as something worth checking out? You know, with that Superman having more than a cameo in the issue and him having a somewhat New52 like attitude? B. Is it in the trade the collects Sideways 1-6?, and C. If it's not in the trade, is there another Sideways trade coming out that will include it? I know the book was cancelled as a monthly, so I realize it could be that the issue with Superman may have never come out or may never be collected.

2. I remember there were a few "lost" issues of the New52 Superman-Wonder Woman series (Or something similar- might have been another Supes title that involved New52 Superman) that were drawn but never published as issues. A long time later, I read that they were collected in a trade or something. Anyone know what the name of that trade (or whatever) is? I want to check for it on Hoopla.

3. Any New52 Superman or New52 Superman-"esque" sightings outside of the Superman title and Action Comics (and the stuff mentioned above) that I could potentially find on Hoopla? No need to look into whether Hoopla has it or not, I can check that part, I just need to know what I'm looking for.

4. What trade covers Lex Luthor's transformation back into a bad guy? If you don't know the trade title, just knowing the series (i.e. Justice League) and issue numbers of story arc name or whatever you remember is fine. I'll figure it out from there.

Any other good trades from my "lost" time DC Comics wise? Doesn't have to be Superman related. I read Flash Wars and the following Flash trade, and will be keeping up from there. Also, I read some of Hitch's Rebirth Justice League- I liked the tie-ins to his JLA run and continuing acknowledgement that New52 Superman existed. Generally, parallel universes and time travel are fun.

Any good Green Lantern stuff? I hear the Grant Morrison title is good, already plan on checking that out when it gets to the service.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-24-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Welcome back crabbo.

1. I would tell you not to get your hopes too high because it's not the most significant appearance. But it's very much the early New 52 Superman so you might as well check it out. Would be the second trade I suppose.

2. To my knowledge, there were SMWW issues collected outside of the normal trade run, but no previously unreleased material brought to light.

3. Not really. I mean there are times you'll see the New 52 costume, like in the Revenge story, but I don't think that sounds like enough.

4. Lex abandons his super costume across Action Comics 985 and 986, then in the Apokolips story from Superman volume 3. He's fully back to his classic mode in Snyder's Justice League.

5. Probably Mister Miracle and Captain Atom as my top DC picks. Martian Manhunter by Orlando. Morrison and Sharpe are phenomenal on GL. If you like Batman you could just throw a rock and hit a good story these days.

I guess I'm that guy, but I'd hope you check out some initial stories to figure out what to support. If you like what they're putting down they deserve the funding for it, legally discovered or not.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    2. I remember there were a few "lost" issues of the New52 Superman-Wonder Woman series (Or something similar- might have been another Supes title that involved New52 Superman) that were drawn but never published as issues. A long time later, I read that they were collected in a trade or something. Anyone know what the name of that trade (or whatever) is? I want to check for it on Hoopla.
    You can find the unpublished issues of the SM/WW series in the "Superman: Savage Dawn" trade and in "Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 5: A Savage End". There are also 2 unpublished issues+1 annual of the BM/SM series in "Batman/Superman Vol. 6: Universe's Finest" if you are interested.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You can find the unpublished issues of the SM/WW series in the "Superman: Savage Dawn" trade and in "Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 5: A Savage End". There are also 2 unpublished issues+1 annual of the BM/SM series in "Batman/Superman Vol. 6: Universe's Finest" if you are interested.
    What? This is the first I'm hearing of these! Don't want to hijack SuperCrab's thread, but what happened here?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    What? This is the first I'm hearing of these! Don't want to hijack SuperCrab's thread, but what happened here?
    In a DC preview catalog or something, SM/WW #30-31 and BM/SM #33-34 and ANNUAL #3 were scheduled for a June and July 2016 release (so after the beginning of Rebirth) but they were never published (I'll let you speculated why). The SM/WW issues are set between Truth and Last Days, and are told from Diana's pov. From what I recall, the BM/SM issues were about SM dealing with a team of Bat-villains and Batman dealing with Supes rogues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    In a DC preview catalog or something, SM/WW #30-31 and BM/SM #33-34 and ANNUAL #3 were scheduled for a June and July 2016 release (so after the beginning of Rebirth) but they were never published (I'll let you speculated why). The SM/WW issues are set between Truth and Last Days, and are told from Diana's pov. From what I recall, the BM/SM issues were about SM dealing with a team of Bat-villains and Batman dealing with Supes rogues.
    Ah - how interesting! Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Ah - how interesting! Thanks very much.
    You're welcome.

That Sideways Annual where New 52 Superman shows up was written by Morrison himself, so he sounds exactly like New 52 Superman. It’s a Superman plucked from his world before Brainiac showed up, so he lacks the armor. I quite enjoyed his cameo but since then he hasn’t made an appearance. Maybe Morrison will use him in TGL or Snyder will use him in JL since he’s a huge Morrison fanboy and is telling a Multiverse story.

Lex Luthor becomes a villain again thanks to events in Tomasi’s Imperius Lex arc and Scott Snyder’s New Justice crossover.

Green Lanterns by Humphries stars Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz and it was great imo. Tynion’s Tec run is a great Batman Family title and his current Justice League Dark Title is my favorite incarnation of the Justice League Dark team. Get Yang’s New Super-Man run, I loooove Kenan he has a very cocky attitude that reminds me of New 52 Superman in his early days. Priest’s Deathstroke run made me a fan of the Deathstroke character. Dark Knights Metal was a pretty crazy event starting Evil Batmen that I found fun. Abnett’s Aquaman run was a pretty decent read, and I have absolutely loved his Silencer book about an ex-Leviathan assassin who is forced to take up her guns to protect her family again. The Terrifics is a fun title starring Mr. Terrific, Phantom Girl, Metamorpho, and Plastic Man written by Lemire but Yang is taking over writing duties so if you like New Superman come read it with us. Andrekyo current Supergirl run kinda merges Kara’s New 52 and Rebirth characterizations together and it’s been a blast to read imo.

Thanks! I was able to find the collection with the previously unpublished New52 Batman Superman stories referenced above. Lots of action! Always good to see the New52 Superman in Action (Or in Batman-Superman ) again.

Sadly, it looks like the SM/WW A Savage End trade isn't available on the service.

Will look into some of the other stuff. Good suggestions all around.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Sadly, it looks like the SM/WW A Savage End trade isn't available on the service.
    Check the "Superman: Savage Dawn" trade if it's available, it contains the same unpublished SM/WW issues of the "A Savage End" trade.