Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Green lantern vs Silver Surfer

The current green lantern vs Silver surfer, who’d win.

Surfer. Too fast and with the firepower to put a Lantern down before he knows he’s in a fight.

Who is the current GL? Any power ups or just standard Lantern package?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Who is the current GL? Any power ups or just standard Lantern package?
    That’s what I’m wondering, what the current GL’s abilities are. And it’s Hal Jordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    That’s what I’m wondering, what the current GL’s abilities are. And it’s Hal Jordon
    Just plain Rebirth Hal? Yeah, Beadle got it right.

Surfer overwhelms Hal's auto shielding defenses at the bell with a massive speed blitz.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I will note Hal is racking up the feats lately-- he took point on leading two other Lanterns on making a sun for two hours in Morrison's run, and he had a bunch of really bad wanking in the previous "Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns" series. He still gets blitzed, and probably still loses sans blitz, but he's catching up to Kyle if this winds up being consistent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I will note Hal is racking up the feats lately-- he took point on leading two other Lanterns on making a sun for two hours in Morrison's run, and he had a bunch of really bad wanking in the previous "Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns" series. He still gets blitzed, and probably still loses sans blitz, but he's catching up to Kyle if this winds up being consistent.
    Yeah, I believe he got swatted by some Kryptonians led by Zod.

Only for him to later ROFL stomp Zod.
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-24-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, I believe he got swatted by some Kryptonians led by Zod.

Only for him to later ROFL stomp Zod.
    He got swatted by Zod under two suns then Zod deliberately lost to him yes

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Honestly though, that comes across as Zod mostly trying to save face. It doesn't actually make any sense in narrative and he was battered and bruised just fine and he can't lower his durability or anything.

It was a REALLY stupid comic so it is possible the authors meant for Zod to actually throw fight, but it doing so didn't further his goals in anyway that beating up Hal wouldn't have and it raises a whole bunch of other questions too.

At best, it is an MCU Thanos thing where the authors meant Zod to be clever when he actually wasn't, but unlike the Thanos stuff there is actually a reasonable explanation in narrative. Zod is proud and wanted rosacea face in front of his wife and child.

Ultimate Member

But why though? he looked a little messed up after Hal smashed the fighter constructs into him.

(I can't legit remember the comic that well except for the fights to be honest)
    Last edited by Username taken; 04-24-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Because he wanted the data or something and the Guardians to look the other way

https://i.postimg.cc/HsPQrMdV/RCO019-w.jpg
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TkFxKWuuL...600/RCO020.jpg

He basically otherwise beat both Hal with his own ring and two rings but then Hal can beat him with Kyle's ring? Don't think so. Also in that run a mind controlled Hal was given a hemorrhage by Superman. So while Hal is insanely powerful these days I don't think he's powerful enough to be beating Kryptonians under two suns especially when he loses fights against them even with two rings just issues ago

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Honestly though, that comes across as Zod mostly trying to save face. It doesn't actually make any sense in narrative and he was battered and bruised just fine and he can't lower his durability or anything.

It was a REALLY stupid comic so it is possible the authors meant for Zod to actually throw fight, but it doing so didn't further his goals in anyway that beating up Hal wouldn't have and it raises a whole bunch of other questions too.

At best, it is an MCU Thanos thing where the authors meant Zod to be clever when he actually wasn't, but unlike the Thanos stuff there is actually a reasonable explanation in narrative. Zod is proud and wanted rosacea face in front of his wife and child.
    Yeah but the writer has Ursa specifically ask the question of "Couldn't we have done that by killing the lanterns also? " and Zod actually beating Hal VERY conclusively just issues ago

Ultimate Member

Because he wanted the data or something and the Guardians to look the other way

https://i.postimg.cc/HsPQrMdV/RCO019-w.jpg
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TkFxKWuuL...600/RCO020.jpg

He basically otherwise beat both Hal with his own ring and two rings but then Hal can beat him with Kyle's ring? Don't think so. Also in that run a mind controlled Hal was given a hemorrhage by Superman. So while Hal is insanely powerful these days I don't think he's powerful enough to be beating Kryptonians under two suns especially when he loses fights against them even with two rings just issues ago
    Ah...I see.

So, Hal isn't quite up there i.e he isn't up there enough to take down Silver Surfer.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

If Hal has enough time to get a thought off, I don't see how being under two suns would really help Zod hit a guy who is phasing, or transmuting him into lead, or converting the solar energy in his body to something else, etc...

To be fair, though, there's really no reason that Zod should let Hal get that thought off in the first place, and none of that would be useful against Surfer, who is faster than Zod and can counter all those tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    If Hal has enough time to get a thought off, I don't see how being under two suns would really help Zod hit a guy who is phasing, or transmuting him into lead, or converting the solar energy in his body to something else, etc...

To be fair, though, there's really no reason that Zod should let Hal get that thought off in the first place, and none of that would be useful against Surfer, who is faster than Zod and can counter all those tricks.
    Extra solar energy can turn Kryptonians immune to Kryptonite, glowing golden gods, capable of overwhelming reality warping devices or even transmuting on their own when fillef with enough solar energy. So being under two suns firstly, it's going to be harder to affect them as much

The second bit stinks of "creative uses of the ring never shown in the comics". Kryptonians have shrugged off transmutation, in fact their biology has been noted multiple times to be completely different, they have phased through objects themselves, sometimes are written to be bending reality or have protective energy auras

Just saying "what if Hal Jordan's ring becomes a plot device" doesn't really work against folks like that. I'm not saying it couldn't do it, but it needs comparable feats for that sort of thing. For instance, one time multiple magic users like Captain Marvel and Alan Scott managed to depower thousands of Kryptonians by working in tandem. Yet Captain Marvel or Alan Scott on their own have never depowered such folks. So it's not like even Alan Scott whose ring is basically "magic willpower plot device" (More often than a regular Lantern) can do stuff like this on his own. The Spectre however has feats for depowering the league casually. He definitely can handle a Kryptonian.

What I'm getting at is feats matter. Just because a character like Lantern or Surfer is versatile doesn't automatically give them the win, for eg Juggernaut is basically brute force but has feats for so much brute force versatility or esoteric powers hardly matter