Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Iron Man: James "Rhodey" Rhodes, the War Machine Appreciation 2019

War Machine

James "Rhodey" Rhodes is Tony Stark's personal pilot and one of the playboy's oldest friends. Rhodey has often donned
    the Iron Man armor when the burden has been too much for his friend, but has also established his own identity as the War Machine.

Origin

James Rupert Rhodes was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He first met Tony Stark while flying combat missions in Vietnam.
    Rhodes' helicopter had been shot down by Viet Cong rocket fire, and while trying to get the aircraft airborne again, he encountered Stark
    in a bulky prototype suit of powered armor. At that moment the Viet Cong attacked, and Stark, in his suit, helped to drive them off.
    Together, Rhodes and Stark made their way to a nearby enemy base where they stole another helicopter, flying it back to the American lines.

After the end of the Vietnam War, Stark, who had secretly become the superhero named Iron Man, offered Rhodes a job as his personal pilot,
    and Rhodes soon became one of Stark's closest associates and confidants as well as Stark Industries' chief aviation officer.
    As a result, he had numerous adventures with his employer where his daring and skills were valuable assets.
    When Tony relapsed into his alcoholism, James Rhodes took over the Variable Threat Response Battle Suit (War Machine).
    James Rhodes took up the superhero identity of Iron Man for some time, and would return to using this suit.

James Rhodes becoming Iron Man

Creation

James Rhodes was created by Bob Layton and David Michelinie and first appeared in Iron Man # 118 (1979).
    The War Machine armor first appeared in a cameo in Iron Man # 281 and fully in Iron Man # 282.
    James Rhodes first became War Machine in Iron Man # 284.

BANNED

Iron Man #118 Jan 1979
    First appearance of James Rhodes and Mrs. Arbogast in "At the Mercy of My Friends!"
    Tony Stark has been invited to be a guest speaker at a special S.H.I.E.L.D./NATO conference.
    Before leaving for the conference, Tony affects some last minute repairs
    to his armor and secures it inside of a special briefcase bound to his wrist.
    His secretary Mrs. Arbogast intercoms him and tells Tony that Bethany Cabe has arrived to see him.
    Tony goes to the reception hall Stark International and greets Bethany. However, he's on a tight schedule and doesn't really have time to talk.
    He goes to the airfield where he instructs his personal mechanic Rhodey to let him fly solo on one of the SI helicopters.

Stark flies to the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier where the joint conference is being held.
    He is suspicious of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s recent actions since he knows that Spymaster,
    who recently tried to assassinate him, was armed with S.H.I.E.L.D. ordnance.
    Nick Fury greets Tony in the hanger bay, but neither men are aware that
    they are being secretly monitored by a group of rogue S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
    Fury assigns the agents to keep an eye on Tony until the conference is ready to begin.

Tony manages to sneak away from his chaperons and enters one of the many computer rooms located on the carrier.
    He attaches a syphon relay from his briefcase into the computer terminal and downloads
    information that might answer the question of why S.H.I.E.L.D. would send Spymaster to kill him.

The rogue agents discover what Tony is doing and release PC-2 gas into the room knocking Stark out.
    They collect his unconscious body and pitch him (as well as his handcuffed briefcase) out of an open hangar bay.

As Tony begins plummeting to his death, he suddenly awakens and
    quickly removes the components of his Iron Man armor from the briefcase.
    He dons the armor mere inches before he would hit the ground.

He flies back up to the Helicarrier and tracks down the men responsible for throwing him off the ship.
    He overhears them admitting to hiring Spymaster as well as their intended scheme to put pressure on
    SI's stockholders to sell their shares to S.H.I.E.L.D. Iron Man attacks and stuns two of the three agents.
    Their ringleader, Buck Richlen, tries to escape, but Iron Man gives chase and corners him in the main conference room.
    As Iron Man flies into the room, he finds that Buck has incapacitated Nick Fury and is holding a gun to his head.
    He tells Iron Man that he must take his own life or else he will kill Fury.

Plot by David Michelinie and Bob Layton. Script by David Michelinie. Art by John Byrne (layouts) and Bob Layton (finishes).
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 04-24-2019 at 12:35 AM.

iMan 42s

1792957-warwrtech.jpg

I may be in the minority on this one but I was kind of into the Eidolon days. Sure the art wasn't always that great and the stories went from goofy to The Crossing, but it was kind of refreshing to look into. Kind of a weird experimental era for War Machine I wish would've continued.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I do find it interesting how he evolved from an everyman archetype into a soldier archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    1792957-warwrtech.jpg

I may be in the minority on this one but I was kind of into the Eidolon days. Sure the art wasn't always that great and the stories went from goofy to The Crossing, but it was kind of refreshing to look into. Kind of a weird experimental era for War Machine I wish would've continued.
    The look did not work for me, but the concept did. A real differentiator for a brief time between him and stark/iron man. I wish they’d give us a vol 2 trade that fills in the gap between the end of vol 1 and the crossing.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

BANNED

Iron Man #181 Apr 1984
    "Though My Life Be Forfeit..."
    Inside the Mandarin's mainland fortress, the Invincible Iron Man is in dire straits!
    The ten-ringed super-villain emerged triumphant after their battle last issue and took control of Shell-Head's mind!
    And now the Mandarin has ordered Rhodey to remove his helmet and slit his own throat! Is the end near for the armored avenger?

Fortuitously, Jim gets another splitting headache and it breaks the mind control!
    And with surprising help from the Chinese air force,

Iron Man turns certain defeat into an inspiring victory!
    When Rhodey at last returns to New York City, Morley Erwin tells him about a massive energy source in Central Park.

Iron Man rushes to investigate... and then suddenly disappears!
    Notes: Iron Man appears next in the first issue of the Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (1984) limited series.
    Sometimes forgotten... it was Jim Rhodes that went to the Beyonder's world as Iron Man, NOT Tony Stark.
    The Mandarin returns in Iron Man 241.

Script by Denny O'Neil. Pencils by Luke McDonnell. Inks by Steve Mitchell.

BANNED

Thumbs up The disrespect towards IRON MAN: James "Rhodey" Rhodes

This issue of Captain America showcases the disrespect towards the comicbook character Jim Rhodes..

..the comicbook character Tony Stark recalls the comicbook character Captain America's shield being destroyed
    and repaired by sheer force of will during 'their' war with the Beyonder..

..which is incorrect since it was the comicbook character Jim Rhodes, who was the secret identity of IRON MAN,
    who was present during Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.
    No Tony Stark present at all

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    The look did not work for me, but the concept did. A real differentiator for a brief time between him and stark/iron man. I wish they’d give us a vol 2 trade that fills in the gap between the end of vol 1 and the crossing.
    A redesign would work for me. As much as I like it, I think a redesign would be needed if it was to show up again. I'd be down to see what the MCU would do with it especially given how good they made Iron man's current suits.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

War Machine #1 Apr 1994
    "Something to Believe In!" Part 1 of 4.
    No longer working for Tony Stark, James Rhodes strikes out on his own. Armed with War Machine, a weapon of mass destruction
    whose power rivals even the Invincible Iron Man's, Rhodes plans to take on the criminal element with iron-fisted courage.
    When a Human Rights Activist is taken hostage,

War Machine plans to set things right.

However, his involvement will cause an international incident.
    Plus, the man called Cable shows up

and things just get worse from there.

Story by Scott Benson and Len Kaminski. Art by Gabriel Gecko and Pam Eklund.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    1792957-warwrtech.jpg

To me, the Eidolon Warwear was fine as a temporary armored look.

Rhodey was the MVP of today's issue of Iron Man. Big damn hero.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

I always thought Rhodey would work very well in a Secret Avengers or Thunderbolts kind of team enviroment. Preferably teaming up with U.S. Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I always thought Rhodey would work very well in a Secret Avengers or Thunderbolts kind of team enviroment. Preferably teaming up with U.S. Agent.
    please bring back the iron man 2.0 stealth armor

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    This issue of Captain America showcases the disrespect towards the comicbook character Jim Rhodes..

..the comicbook character Tony Stark recalls the comicbook character Captain America's shield being destroyed
    and repaired by sheer force of will during 'their' war with the Beyonder..

..which is incorrect since it was the comicbook character Jim Rhodes, who was the secret identity of IRON MAN,
    who was present during Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.
    No Tony Stark present at all

What issue of Captain America is this?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    What issue of Captain America is this?
    Mark Waid's run from 1998. I think this is #22. Kinda weird considering nowadays Waid would be all over that continuity.