Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I initially found a cool fake Thundarr Comic cover. Or one I am pretty sure is fake.
    Thundarr was also one of the first I thought of, and I went down the same rabbit hole, although I knew there had never been an official comic, was hoping at some point there was at least a promo or mini-comic, or at least something celebrating the animation, Kirby's style guides featured on the cover, or some Alex Ross homage cover?
    Instead, like you, came across several of those fun, fake covers.
    Love it when it's the fans that do a better job of keeping a franchise alive, then the rights holders.

it's sad that Thundarr, Arial and Ookla and their great setting and concept were never given a series.
    Was hoping at the time Future Quest was being developed, they'd run a parallel launch for Ruby-Spears universe. .
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-25-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And don't forget, they changed the line-up when Malibu brought them back in the '90s. (I think lining it up with a video game version or something?)

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...tants-question

And, also not a contest entry:
    I never knew that! The 1990s lineup looks alot like the old lineup in many ways, just some swapping of genders and races, maybe. But I did find out about the video game in my looking around. Wonder how that game was
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

This is long after the apocalypse:

Last edited by Rob Allen; 04-25-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

it's sad that Thundarr, Arial and Ookla and their great setting and concept were never given a series.
    Was hoping at the time Future Quest was being developed, they'd run a parallel launch for Ruby-Spears universe. .
    Someone somewhere must own the rights and simply doesn't think it is viable or something. Or just an ass.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Invincible Member

Basically it was a tongue in cheek rip-off of the Mad Max movies which everyone and their brother was doing in the mid-80's. This one from the creative team famous for mid-70's Master of Kung Fu.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-26-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Someone somewhere must own the rights and simply doesn't think it is viable or something. Or just an ass.
    DC/WB currently owns it. That's why I was hoping they would give it a similar push as their HB / Future Quest. (although not sure how successful that was)
    A smaller company might push it to the top. DC/WB have so much on their plate, Thundarr (which covers much of the same ground as Kamandi) is probably near the bottom of a large stack of all the (still waiting for relaunch) properties they've acquired.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Funny, I was searching if there were Thundarr comics just before returning to this thread and found just fakes. Here's one with Kamandi.

NOT AN ENTRY

And who can forget the intro to the series:

Hmm, I seemed to have missed that comet way back in 1994.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Sorry I didn't vote or anything. Was distracted by finals! :O

MarcySimon5.jpg

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think the Incursions in Hickman's New Avengers were apocalyptic.

Never mind
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 05-01-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Perhaps it is my background, but I have a rather strong sensibility of what post-apocalyptic should be, that is distinct from apocalyptic or dystopian. I'm thinking of stories like Wilson Tucker's The Long Loud Silence, or Vonda N. McIntyre's Dreamsnake, or the fantastic Soviet-era movie Dead Man's Letters. Or Harlan Ellison's short story "A Boy and His Dog". So my vote goes to Gary_B.

Honourable mentions to Ajax_X, seismic-2, Tami, and Javasaurus, who also managed to find covers with great post-apocalyptic sensibility.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])