Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default REVIEW: Avengers #33-Time Travel Shenanigans

I really enjoyed this issue, as it's classic Hickman, but at the same time, it's a tad confusing. The jargon I mean. I have to read each of these issues several times to really get what's going on, but at the same time, I'm positive I'm still missing stuff.

That being said, it's worth the extra read. My video review goes a bit more in depth. It's going to suck seeing Hickman leave this book.

And supposedly S.H.I.E.L.D. the second arc #5 and #6 will tie into Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers as well.

My interpretation of previous issues was that Isaac Newton had discovered the Multiverse ... and he didn't like it. He also claimed to have see the future and didn't seem to like that either.

Quote Originally Posted by failinginplace View Post
    newsarama just posted a preview of #34 and much to my EPIC surprise, that's not Iron Man at the end that catches Steve, it's IRON LAD, a la Young Avengers. Young Kang. now that's huge.
    spoiler tags maybe?

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    This issue bored me almost to tears. What happened to Hickman???
    Has he really done anything of note in Marvel aside from his Fantastic Four+FF run?
    S.H.I.E.L.D. was an interesting (if flawed and revisionist within the context of the Marvel Universe) concept, but ultimately has been unfinished and never really went anywhere aside from some Kirbyish 2001 concepts. His Avengers comics have had the same concepts since the beginning of his run but have ultimately shown little progress since then. Infinity didn't change anything up, had a lot of filler, and brought up a mess of plot points that have been untouched or barely touched since. Secret Warriors had similar problems to his Avengers, being way too long form.
    He seems to be someone be someone best suited for novels, writing in the comic book medium. Hickman's comics tend to be similar to a conversation with someone that drones on and on, repeating the same things in different ways throughout the nearly one way conversation. Even if some of the points of the conversation are interesting, it's not worth your time paying attention to it all.
    Like him or not, at least with Remender, he can build an epic story arc while progressing and keeping things interesting throughout with little filler, he's more of a classic Avengers writer in that way while Hickman is like the result of blending Bendis and Morrison together.
    A lot of Marvel's star writers have seemed to have one or two good (liked, not in terms of sales) series runs in them, consistency is tough to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    That's a good catch. Let's see
    Avengers #30 has two covers, one purple with Cap (different Caps) and one blue with different Hawkeyes. So Cap is the Space Gem and Hawkeye is the Mind Gem.
    Avengers #31 is Black Widow on a red cover, that's the Power Gem.
    Avengers #32 is...Hyperion? on a green cover, that's the Soul Gem.
    Avengers #33 is Starbrand on an orange cover, that's the Time Gem.
    Avengers #34 is Iron-Lad/Iron-Man on a yellow cover, that's the Reality Gem.

I'm not seeing a connection between the issues themselves and their respective covers, or between each Gem and the Avenger on the cover. Maybe they got the colors wrong again.
    Thanks for regaling us of the colours of the gems again. So Starbrand was on the orange cover, The Time gem of issue #33? There was a connection between the Avenger and the coloured gem, where the Blue Mind Gem and Hawkeye were the star in issue #30. Cap it seems has the purple Space gem because he travels the furthest than anyone. Some of this stuff will mean something, later.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    And supposedly S.H.I.E.L.D. the second arc #5 and #6 will tie into Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers as well.

My interpretation of previous issues was that Isaac Newton had discovered the Multiverse ... and he didn't like it. He also claimed to have see the future and didn't seem to like that either.
    Curious where you heard that as the preview to #34 has a reference to Hickman's SHIELD series, too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    Curious where you heard that as the preview to #34 has a reference to Hickman's SHIELD series, too.

Where have you read that? I only see the "Agents of the S.H.I.E.L.D. variant cover", but that is about the tv show. Asking because I haven't read the S.H.I.E.L.D. book and Avengers is one of the only two books I follow, so if it is said to be connected I could retrieve the mini series.

Extraordinary Member

This was one of those issues. Which you think, what a complete waste of paper.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Where have you read that? I only see the "Agents of the S.H.I.E.L.D. variant cover", but that is about the tv show. Asking because I haven't read the S.H.I.E.L.D. book and Avengers is one of the only two books I follow, so if it is said to be connected I could retrieve the mini series.
    In the preview there is a scene of a pyramid (same one that is in the SHIELD series. IIRC it was one of the first 6 issues)

Not specifically #34 but I thought I had read somewhere that the two last issues of Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. which are being finished by Weaver as the artist will have some tie-in to Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers storyline. However I cannot find the reference at the moment.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Not specifically #34 but I thought I had read somewhere that the two last issues of Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. which are being finished by Weaver as the artist will have some tie-in to Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers storyline. However I cannot find the reference at the moment.
    I bet you are right (seeing how Hickman likes to tie things together, hence the pyramid scene in issue 34 that harkens back to the SHIELD series)

BANNED

In the preview there is a scene of a pyramid (same one that is in the SHIELD series. IIRC it was one of the first 6 issues)
    Guess I will have to read it then. Anyway Hickman said Rabum Alal is a totally new character so I don't think he will be revealed to be Isaac Newton.

This was Hickman's least confusing issue ever. It's merely a proof of what was said at the very end of the last issue. Captain America has no idea what's going on, and he barely even cares. But his gut tells him that he's facing enemies, so he just starts punching things and believing that things will work out for the best. And then they work out for the best! He also finds out the eyeball bomb was not an explosive bomb, but a virus bomb. He crushes it under his boot and thinks "goddamn stupid annoying technology."

It's really just a demonstration of how Captain America feels every day. With art that makes the readers feel the same way as him.

Amazing Member ShadowSwordmaster's Avatar

This arc is getting weirder and weirder by the issue, I love it.

BANNED

The first issue of this arc where Cap and his group of Avengers confronting Stark and asking for explanations of his actions and the Illuminati was good. It made me remember the ''good'' old days of the Civil War, but after that, i lost track of the story completely.