Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue. I think the team realizing that they aren't the good guys, the development of a relationship between Fred and Betsy, and the firing of Moneta was enough forward plot progression. It also helps that I just generally enjoy the character moments in this book. It was also nice to see Betsy's body swap issues somewhat dealt with. I think it helps that so far although we have seen the team sort of pushing against Nate's reprogramming no one has really woken up the way we have seen in Marvelous. I think it was a smart decision to save that moment as the turning point.

BANNED

This was ok. Not great, not bad. Betsy's scene with the Blob was good and made better by the fact they didn't start a cliche romance. The rest was alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I mean just a few years back he helped keep Dazzler captive in a medically induced coma so he could harvest MGH from her, but sure he's good at heart
    And years ago Jean Grey abused her telepathy to force Warren to go along with what she wanted multiple times and she’s considered the patron saint of the X-Men. As I specifically said he’s good at heart here. Wouldn’t be the first time someone changed their lives around after an event like this wanting to be better.

Also, everything about Dazzler was basically the reaction of a sick addict. I think he needed the hormone because of M-Day. It does not justify what he did but even Magneto showed mercy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And years ago Jean Grey abused her telepathy to force Warren to go along with what she wanted multiple times and she’s considered the patron saint of the X-Men. As I specifically said he’s good at heart here. Wouldn’t be the first time someone changed their lives around after an event like this wanting to be better.
    Being brain washed/reality rewritten does not make a character have a heart of gold. Whatever writer can do whatever they want with this, but this is not showing some side of a character that was just waiting to be explored, this could be done with every single character every written, but the fact is that this is a character whose behaviour is altered by another force, and not showing anything about their nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Also, everything about Dazzler was basically the reaction of a sick addict. I think he needed the hormone because of M-Day. It does not justify what he did but even Magneto showed mercy.
    I know 'continuity' only matters to support what people like, but Blob is literally one of the oldest X-Villains. 35 years of stories. He is a bad dude.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Being brain washed/reality rewritten does not make a character have a heart of gold. Whatever writer can do whatever they want with this, but this is not showing some side of a character that was just waiting to be explored, this could be done with every single character every written, but the fact is that this is a character whose behaviour is altered by another force, and not showing anything about their nature.
    Tell that to Frenzy who was inspired by the person that she was in Age of X and joined the X-Men as a result. It’s not about finding some hidden side of themselves but knowing they can be better than who they are now. The X-Men are brainwashed currently but I doubt they leave this without some kind of realization about themselves.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I haven't read much of Betsy before she switched bodies nor do I even share the issues she was dealing, but for some reason, that scene with her talking about body issues really hit me. Great scene.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

I know 'continuity' only matters to support what people like, but Blob is literally one of the oldest X-Villains. 35 years of stories. He is a bad dude.
    At this point x-men will have to accept any villain that want redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Some points of interest from this issue:

- Betsy's altered memories continue to play merry hell with her sense of here and now; we get a couple of spots where she's not sure if the memories in her head are actually hers or those she's picked up from elsewhere.

- Betsy does remember her time in Kwannon's body, and how she had fewer body image issues during that time because it wasn't her body. Just a tad creepy there.
    I thought it was a touching look inside the personal of an X-Man which is a rarity these days
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

Betsy was always a confident woman.
    While Brian was the shy kid, she was the outgoing one.
    She was a supermodel and never had problems showing her body:
    because as everyone knows supermodels and people who are quick to show their bodies oft have high self-esteem lol
    Frenzy was not a villain also before Age of X?

Blob can be the new Frenzy.
    in limbo? I'd be ok with that
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Tell that to Frenzy who was inspired by the person that she was in Age of X and joined the X-Men as a result. .
    yeah but in AoX they were hero's/ freedom fighters whereas Blob and the noseX-Men are the cootie police
    besides Fred will probably get mindwiped :/
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I haven't read much of Betsy before she switched bodies nor do I even share the issues she was dealing, but for some reason, that scene with her talking about body issues really hit me. Great scene.
    Yeah dude me too. it not only made Betsy a more sympathetic hero but she became a lil bit more of likeable character overall...IMHO

Fred turning around because of this event would be good because it makes him more interesting and he's not even a good villain anyway. Something gained, nothing lost.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I love Leah's previous work but I really am not enjoying this. I think the whole event is very disappointing honestly. Maybe it's because it's such a stark contrast to the typical X-faire we get. Not a lot of action or obvious conflict, it's all very much internal dialogs and mysterious frameworks that don't seem like they have an easy resolution. Considering these books only have a couple issues left each I'm not really sure how they can wrap this up and not make it feel rushed and forced in every title.
    What a critique! Keep it easy to digest with action and convenient denouement?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    At this point x-men will have to accept any villain that want redemption
    At this point, they don’t even need to want redemption

Super Villain: I want a place to crash for a few months, a mansion would be good.

X-person:Great! We love redeeming villains! Here’s the keys to the liquor cabinet and the banking PIN.

Super villain: ...thanks

This issue was actually good. Very nice character moments and better pacing that the last two issues. The art is still uneven but when it’s “on” it’s really lovely.

It is well known that many supermodels have eating disorders and problems with their image. And many times extroverted personalities are defense mechanisms (like Mary Jane Watson).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this characterization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    As mentioned super models are the people with the worst body image perceptions. Just bc they flaunt themselves in front of the camera, doesnt mean they see themselves as beautiful. Body dysmorphia is a real thing within that profession
    I totally agree with this. Even the most beautiful are not exempt from having body or self esteem issues.

BANNED

Hope they continue into the 616 like all the other ships in this AU. Wait.....only one of these ships are gonna continue into 616 to create drama? Now why would they do something so contrived?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I thought it was a touching look inside the personal of an X-Man which is a rarity these days
    It was affecting and a really good look at the state the body-swapping and blurring of self has left Betsy in (and Nate's brainwashing *cannot* be helping there). But there is still a creepy, body-snatcher undercurrent to the notion of "I never did like my body, but the one I was using was beautiful", and I don't think it's something Williams is writing unawares.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 04-25-2019 at 01:00 AM.