Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member RickWJ324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Shouldn't that spell doom for Tom Holland, too? He's opposite her in it.
    Time will tell. Hopefully they both will have bright futures in the field.

  2. #32
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Most of the cast did just fine....Ford, Christopher Lee, Portman, Mark Hammil is still a star maybe not in a ton of big films but who doesnít know who he is? Even haydinson is Rich

  3. #33
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    Most of the cast did just fine....Ford, Christopher Lee, Portman, Mark Hammil is still a star maybe not in a ton of big films but who doesn’t know who he is? Even haydinson is Rich
    Hamill got his Hollywood star recently, correct?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Christopher Lee was already pretty well established long before Star Wars.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  5. #35
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Christopher Lee was already pretty well established long before Star Wars.
    Was thinking the same thing.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    4,629

    Default

    Donít know why but I feel like Disney might consider Adam Driver a strong contender for Cyclops in the MCU. Itís a role I can imagine him doing. I think Daisy will do okay personally.

  7. #37
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Christopher Lee was already pretty well established long before Star Wars.
    Yes. That's like saying Star Wars made stars of Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness.

    Now, I had no idea who they were when Star Wars came out in 1977. Because of SW, I found out about "Lawrence of Arabia" and about the Hammer Films movies with Cushing which in turn was how I found out who Christopher Lee was. It's possible someone first found out about Lee because of the prequels. But, as you said, he was a famous actor forty years before he was in a Star Wars movie.
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

  8. #38
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. That's like saying Star Wars made stars of Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness.

    Now, I had no idea who they were when Star Wars came out in 1977. Because of SW, I found out about "Lawrence of Arabia" and about the Hammer Films movies with Cushing which in turn was how I found out who Christopher Lee was. It's possible someone first found out about Lee because of the prequels. But, as you said, he was a famous actor forty years before he was in a Star Wars movie.
    Yeah, and I don't think it really boosted anyone's career. Maybe Liam Neeson? That might've been his first action role. But I don't think anyone for significantly bigger after Star Wars.

  9. #39
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Yeah, and I don't think it really boosted anyone's career. Maybe Liam Neeson? That might've been his first action role. But I don't think anyone for significantly bigger after Star Wars.
    It depends on how you look at it. If you look at it as a step on the ladder, then for Harrison Ford, getting the role in "American Graffiti" led to Star Wars which led to the Indiana Jones role which was really what made his career but Han Solo was the role that caused him to become well known. Likewise, Mark Hamill became well known because of SW. Before that, most people didn't know his name. He was just one of those actors in a movie that you don't remember seeing. Then when he becomes famous, you see an old episode of a show that you know you saw before and you think, "Woe. He's in this episode. I didn't even remember him except now I've seen him in Star Wars."

    Liam Neeson played Sir Gawain in "Excalibur" in 1981 and fights Lancelot so Star Wars wasn't even his first action role and he was hired for Star Wars because he was already famous.
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

  10. #40
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It depends on how you look at it. If you look at it as a step on the ladder, then for Harrison Ford, getting the role in "American Graffiti" led to Star Wars which led to the Indiana Jones role which was really what made his career but Han Solo was the role that caused him to become well known. Likewise, Mark Hamill became well known because of SW. Before that, most people didn't know his name. He was just one of those actors in a movie that you don't remember seeing. Then when he becomes famous, you see an old episode of a show that you know you saw before and you think, "Woe. He's in this episode. I didn't even remember him except now I've seen him in Star Wars."

    Liam Neeson played Sir Gawain in "Excalibur" in 1981 and fights Lancelot so Star Wars wasn't even his first action role and he was hired for Star Wars because he was already famous.
    Harrison Ford is the obvious exception, where he went onto a much bigger career.

    Sure, Mark Hamill is known for Star Wars, but my point is does it help them with the rest of their career, or are they "that Star Wars character" for the rest of their career. He's (to me) the iconic joker voice, but I don't think it's enough to say it's boosted his career.

    Did Liam fight as Gawain? I don't really recall that as being much of an action movie, more of a medieval fantasy soap opera. Mostly just Richard Gere (?) hooking up with Sean Connery's (?) wife, and them him, in grief (?) having sex with his sister.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Neeson's big breakthrough was pretty much Schindler's list. Michael Collins and Rob Roy were pretty successful for him in the interim as well. Funny thing is, when fans were making mock up posters and images before the offocial episode I posters/trailers came out but there were rumors that Liam was playing a Jedi, they used Rob Roy as the "model".

    He'd been in a number of smaller parts in certain films, such as the the final Dirty Harry "Dead Pool" (Which also had a brief appearence by Jim Carrey before he made it big as well).

    Pretty sure he read for James Bond at one point as well. There's two stories about that-one that he was getting married and didn't want to commit to such a contract; and the other-somewhat less believable-is that he didn't want to do action movies.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Funny thing about Harrison, he almost didn't get the role of Indiana Jones because Lucas didn't want to turn him into his "Jimmy Stewart"-Tom Selleck was the first choice but the Magnum P.I contract got in the way (Similar situation delayed Pierce Brosnan getting into the James Bond role earlier). His career didn't take off immeadiatly after Star Wars either-he starred in a few forgettable war (Apart from Apocalypse now of course!) and western movies before doing Han again, and then got Indy shortly thereafter.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,620

    Default

    I'm sure Selleck would have made a damn fine Indiana Jones.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Lee was also doing LOTR at the same time.


    I suppose one could say that Lee was in a slight career slump in the 80's and 90s as a lot of roles he got were in B-movies (Howling II, the Rob Brown Captain America, Police Academy 7) or ones that were played for laughs at his other roles (Gremlins II), but I think working with Jackson and Burton really restored him to star status.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  15. #45
    Smiles but not on command Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Harrison Ford is the obvious exception, where he went onto a much bigger career.

    Sure, Mark Hamill is known for Star Wars, but my point is does it help them with the rest of their career, or are they "that Star Wars character" for the rest of their career. He's (to me) the iconic joker voice, but I don't think it's enough to say it's boosted his career.

    Did Liam fight as Gawain? I don't really recall that as being much of an action movie, more of a medieval fantasy soap opera. Mostly just Richard Gere (?) hooking up with Sean Connery's (?) wife, and them him, in grief (?) having sex with his sister.
    Wrong movie. "Excalibur" is not the Sean Connery movie.

    I agree that, before he got the Joker, Hamill was just the guy who played Luke Skywalker. I get now what you meant. Do they really have fame beyond just that they were in a Star Wars movie. For instance, Neeson is famous among people who probably have forgotten he was in a SW movie.
    "I'm not what you think I am". Higher, further, faster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •