Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I recall reading something that the whole Wampa scene in Empire was put there as a way to "injure" Luke on screen and thus be able to explain the changes to Mark Hammil's face due to the accident.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It seems while the second tier actors in Star Wars films usually go on to promising careers, sometimes the leads aren't so lucky.

Mark Hammil of course is well known for his voice acting but his live-action career didn't quite go the way of Harrison Ford's, or even Carrie Fisher.

Hayden Christensen, likewise, also seems to have mainly drifted away from acting, and many of his films were pretty much eventually direct to video, while Natalie, Ewan etc. still do a lot of work.

Now it looks like Ridley's latest film is in deep trouble:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/daisy-ridley...kin-1834250904

She hasn't really done that much apart from the Murder on the Orient Express either since the star of TFA it seems.
    TBH, I don't think she's a very good actress (maybe not bad, but nothing special), so I think she's destined for the convention circuit and "remember Star Wars!" castings. I'm sure she'll get some offers here and there, but I don't really expect her career to go very far outside of Star Wars.

Sort of on the same topic,It's kind of interesting that some of the bit players in some Star Wars actually go on to pretty big careers.

Keira Knightley, Rose Byrne played handmaidens in TPM.

Sally Hawkins is an extra in TPM, seen during the big crowd scene at the end of the film.

A lot of the minor supporting roles from the various films have had pretty substantial careers in Britain, as that's where most of the studio work for the films was done (With the exception of the prequels that were mostly filmed in Australia, and hence often had more Australian/New Zealand actors). Shane Rimmer of course, Jeremy Bulloch who played Boba Fett was pretty well known in Britain even before Fett....Hannah John-Kamen's (Ghost from Ant-Man 2) first film was a First Order officer in TFA, and one of the resistance pilots in TFA, Tosin Cole, is now Doctor Who companion Ryan.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I honestly don't see her as having that "it" factor that pushes an actor to that level of of star. Maybe I am wrong and she will really shine in other roles, but just going by what I have seen so far she is pretty bland and forgetable.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

She's one successful MCU or DCEU movie away from being typecast as Rey...or if she has a prominent role in something bonkers such as another JUMANJI movie.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    She's one successful MCU or DCEU movie away from being typecast as Rey...or if she has a prominent role in something bonkers such as another JUMANJI movie.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Speaking of ... Latino Review had her and Oscar meeting with possibly being cast in the Eternals and/or side characters that cameo with Charlie Hunnam in Eternals that sets up the next phase.

Also, she looks pretty amazing in Ophelia:

Hamlet from Ophelia's perspective? Count me in!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Boisterously Confused

Insufficient data. Humphrey Bogart was second banana gangster character until George Raft didn't want to do The Maltese Falcon, and Julia Roberts was little more than an extra until Darryl Hannah turned down Pretty Woman. Anything can happen in movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I honestly don't see her as having that "it" factor that pushes an actor to that level of of star. Maybe I am wrong and she will really shine in other roles, but just going by what I have seen so far she is pretty bland and forgetable.
    Pretty much my opinion about her as an actress. She can act well enough but she lacks that "je ne sais quoi", that charisma, that presence who makes the difference between a good actor and a star.

Extraordinary Member

To me, it pretty much comes down to how her agent does in getting her films post-TROS. I think she's got plenty of charisma and skill, and *at minimum* could go to the stage and refine her skills even more and build the only kind of reputation English actors respect, that of being a theater actor, there.

As for whether she can be a "star" as well as an actor...

...Honestly, to some extent, the old idea of a "star" is kind of dead in this world of thousands of different formats in which to get your performance on screen. Now to be a "star," its more about either just building an exhaustively powerful resume by grinding it out for years, or rising to the occasion when given the perfect role in some major film... and not having someone sabotage that role with bad writing or directing. Nothing about Ridley's performances say that she's unable to exploit a good role, so she's not a Sam Worthington.

Her biggest issue right now, I'd say, is that the writing for her character in The Last Jedi was horrible, hollowed out her character and made her shallow, and wasted her greatest strengths as an actress and in the groundwork laid by TFA. While I don't think any of the actors in TLJ were well served by the script, with the exception of Mark Hamill (because as bad as I think the plotting was for Luke, the role was at least maximized for Hamill's range and skill), Ridley was stuck with maybe the most high-risk, negligible-reward writing for Rey, where no one was really capable of elevating that character arc because of its issues.

While Finn was wasted by an apathetic script, Boyega was at least given the job of mostly holding the character in a static "stasis" form similar to TFA (just not growing in any real way.)

While Kylo Ren was babied, pampered, and arguably made even more entitled and loathsome by the script's blatant double standards favoring the character, Rian Johnson full understood the type of head-space he wanted Driver to play, and subtle inner turmoil with occasional outbursts is how Driver rolled in TFA, so that was okay for the actor.

Rey, on the other hand? Rian Johnson's script required neutering the character's agency, perspective, and general protagonist role to make her a tool for the plots of Luke and Kylo, in a nonsensical and unbalanced way unsupported by the actual script, and with no real growth or challenge outside of a pseduo-romance with Kylo that would embarrass Stephanie Meyers and probably most Twilight fanfiction writers with how trite and under-developed everything was. How was Ridley supposed to convey anything organic, sincere, or believable with a film that fundamentally views everything through a "Yeah, but how does Kylo feel?" prism and is willing to erase or downplay *everything* that brings up uncomfortable questions about that?

TFA shows everything that Ridley has that can make her a star - strong physicality, extreme skill at emoting, comic timing, intensity, quiet charisma and an ability to engage the audience without dialogue. TLJ just shows that you can undermine all of that with poor enough writing, simply by making a character so blatantly artificial that not even Meryl Streep can help you.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 05-17-2019 at 05:53 AM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Given her age I figure she might get stuck taking whatever roles Emma Watson turns down.

Kristen Stewart was able to make a career for herself post Twilight and if she could it,
    I see no reason why Ridley can't.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Given her age I figure she might get stuck taking whatever roles Emma Watson turns down.

Kristen Stewart was able to make a career for herself post Twilight and if she could it,
    I see no reason why Ridley can't.
    Stewart has done major films since Twilight?

I like Daisy but given her current film "Chaos Walking" is being touted as "unreleasable" that worries me a bit. Granted, they're not saying its because of her acting, but I'm sure it will tarnish her rep a bit to be associated with a film that appears to be so bad that the studios can't release it. I wish her luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I like Daisy but given her current film "Chaos Walking" is being touted as "unreleasable" that worries me a bit. Granted, they're not saying its because of her acting, but I'm sure it will tarnish her rep a bit to be associated with a film that appears to be so bad that the studios can't release it. I wish her luck!
    Shouldn't that spell doom for Tom Holland, too? He's opposite her in it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Holland is supposed to have a stellar carreer after Spider-man? I'm not really sure about that.

BANNED

Don't forget the kid that played Anakin in the Phantom Menace...poor kid the lure of Stardom can ruin those so young.