BANNED

Default Opinions The authority by Warren Ellis

I’m trying to get back into comics so I’m wondering if I should buy the upcoming The Authority Omnibus. I’d like to ask what you all think of Warren Ellis the Authority?

Thanks

Even though I don’t think it’s his best stuff, I still wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it, great stuff

Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar

I personally really enjoyed the early Authority run (I have both Absolute editions)......it's over the top but always fun.

BANNED

Ah thanks, been eyeing it but wondering about it.

Thanks guys

I think the original 12 issues of Ellis' Authority are great. It changed the way superhero comics were made, it's big explosive fun with crazy sci-fi ideas. It's a super edgy Justice League. A very stupid idea told by a very clever writer and an artist on top of their game.

I don't think the follow up by Millar lives up to it, I enjoy his series less and less the more I read it (and the older I get) while Ellis' original still holds up.
    I've only read one of the spin off series (Hawksmoore) and it was okay but nothing spectacular.

My advice would be to get the trade of the original 12 issues or the hc or the absolute if you can find them for a good price (Absolute edition for the art obviously).
    As far as omnibuses go Ellis' Planetary is a much better choice for an omnibus buy in my opinion (also connected to The Authority but not essential to understand it).

I would wholeheartedly agree. Planetary is extraordinary.

I read Ellis' Stormwatch/Authority years after it was originally released, so I think I missed out on some of what made Authority (specifically) such a blockbuster. If it was indeed an industry trendsetter, by the time I got to it I was familiar with the tropes it introduced. I enjoyed it, I think I was just a victim of the hype train.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I would wholeheartedly agree. Planetary is extraordinary.

I read Ellis' Stormwatch/Authority years after it was originally released, so I think I missed out on some of what made Authority (specifically) such a blockbuster. If it was indeed an industry trendsetter, by the time I got to it I was familiar with the tropes it introduced. I enjoyed it, I think I was just a victim of the hype train.
    it's mostly the storytelling from Hitch that was inventive. It felt like a big summer blockbuster and the term "widescreen" applied to this series first I believe.

The way it was done heavily inspired The Ultimates too and using Hitch as an artist for it also made that series what it was.

Even if you are coming in years after I think it's still a prime example of balls to the wall, no limits superhero storytelling.
    Although if you read Stormwatch first I think it lessens the effect a bit since that series took a bit of time to find its voice.

I like his Stormwatch run and than early Authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think the original 12 issues of Ellis' Authority are great. It changed the way superhero comics were made, it's big explosive fun with crazy sci-fi ideas. It's a super edgy Justice League. A very stupid idea told by a very clever writer and an artist on top of their game.

I don't think the follow up by Millar lives up to it, I enjoy his series less and less the more I read it (and the older I get) while Ellis' original still holds up.
    I've only read one of the spin off series (Hawksmoore) and it was okay but nothing spectacular.

My advice would be to get the trade of the original 12 issues or the hc or the absolute if you can find them for a good price (Absolute edition for the art obviously).
    As far as omnibuses go Ellis' Planetary is a much better choice for an omnibus buy in my opinion (also connected to The Authority but not essential to understand it).

Agreed that Planetary is far superior to The Authority.......As for Millar's run, my hat goes off to you for reading his work on The Authority repeatedly. I like some of Millar's books (Especially Jupiter's Legacy), but I could only read his abysmal work on The Authority once and could never bring myself to pick up that book again. That was almost as bad as Old Man Logan.

I'd say a decent follow-up to Ellis's original run would be the Brubaker/Nguyen maxi-series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Agreed that Planetary is far superior to The Authority.......As for Millar's run, my hat goes off to you for reading his work on The Authority repeatedly. I like some of Millar's books (Especially Jupiter's Legacy), but I could only read his abysmal work on The Authority once and could never bring myself to pick up that book again. That was almost as bad as Old Man Logan.

I'd say a decent follow-up to Ellis's original run would be the Brubaker/Nguyen maxi-series.
    I used to like Millar around over a decade ago or maybe more, in my late teens/early twenties and then I liked him less and less.
    What I've read of the Jupiter's stuff was pretty good though.

Never read the Brubaker stuff, actually never even heard of it before this new tpb came out recently.
    Everyone talks about Millar's follow up and maybe the Abnett-Lanning post apocalyptic series (I remember that being pretty solid).

I enjoyed the series immensely.

I used to like Millar around over a decade ago or maybe more, in my late teens/early twenties and then I liked him less and less.

Never read the Brubaker stuff, actually never even heard of it before this new tpb came out recently.
    Everyone talks about Millar's follow up and maybe the Abnett-Lanning post apocalyptic series (I remember that being pretty solid).

I'd highly suggest the Brubaker tpb, it's worth reading......The Abnett-Lanning run sounds interesting.

Back to Millar, out of his older body of work, the only book I particularly liked was Superman: Red Son (Overrated, but pretty good). I don't remember liking any of his other stuff back then, aside from Kick-Ass......I far prefer his newer titles. Jupiter's Legacy/Circle and The Magic Order are his best books, in my opinion.....Empress, Reborn, Starlight, and Chrononauts were OK, but nothing great. They were fun to read, but didn't leave a lasting impression like the Jupiter titles & The Magic Order.

The Worlds End stuff, just as they were in the process of winding down the wildstorm universe was very good, would be nice to get a worlds end omni at some point (I can dream)