Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Nope, Sanctuary was fine. Wally was broken beyond repair and killed everyone. All blame lies on him. He was the one who tried to break the system that was working for everyone else. Even in the narration of this issue Wally says that Sanctuary is great and is working for everyone else but him. The Trinity will have no fault laid at their feet. Wally is the bad guy here.
    This was another part of this issue that didn't sot well with me. We saw that the virtual reality therapy wasn't working for anyone: Lagoon Boy used it to relive his trauma. Harley and Ivy used it to kill Joker over and over again. Wally himself used it to play pretend with a fake family. Then in this issue King tries to pretend that everything was working and Wally was the problem. Sanctuary was flawed from the start.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    This is the proper answer. The Flash book is tucking tail and basically hiding until the storm blows over, the trinity books don’t care since nothing affected this characters, and there’s no Titan book. Outside of what ever the heck Doomsday Clock does Wally’s story ends next month and dustbinned until required for future ANGST
    Wally will not feature significantly in Doomsday Clock. He is likely not to appear at all as anything other than a reference to things that have happened. It's a Superman story, it was never a Wally West story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    This was another part of this issue that didn't sot well with me. We saw that the virtual reality therapy wasn't working for anyone: Lagoon Boy used it to relive his trauma. Harley and Ivy used it to kill Joker over and over again. Wally himself used it to play pretend with a fake family. Then in this issue King tries to pretend that everything was working and Wally was the problem. Sanctuary was flawed from the start.
    I don't think that's entirely correct. We saw plenty of people who had been to Sanctuary (in the confessionals) who were out and about in the world. Bruce had gone. So had Barbara. I believe Kal implied he'd been, too. We also have no evidence Roy wasn't getting good help. While it's entirely fair to suggest that people with multifaceted problems will require different types of treatments (Sanctuary shouldn't be one size fits all), I don't think it's clear at all that Sanctuary was failing all of the people.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

The Trinity needs to face some consequences for Sanctuary. They set up an unlicensed mental health clinic and foolishly relied on AIs and simulations to treat hurt heroes instead of actual professionals. Left unsupervised, everyone there used virtual reality to relive their traumas or indulge in escapism. Then Wally went nuclear and killed everyone. What the Trinity have done is called EXTREME GROTESQUE NEGLIGENCE.
    Apparently Wally's been a ticking time bomb this whole time. I can't help but wonder if having actual professionals there would have prevented this or if it would have just added to the body count.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

What a seriously stupid story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Apparently Wally's been a ticking time bomb this whole time. I can't help but wonder if having actual professionals there would have prevented this or if it would have just added to the body count.
    I feel like a good psychiatrist might have been able to get through to Wally. Now that I think on it, Lilith is a shrink,has psychic powers and was a member of the Titans. Unfortunately in the current DC universe Titans characters are fodder and not allowed to be useful.

HiC was never about exploring mental health, the psychiatric setting was just an excuse to kill off characters, derail Wally and have King further indulge in his trauma fetish.

Here we go with Brother Eye Phase 2 and all of DC's Heroes attacking each other again.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I feel like a good psychiatrist might have been able to get through to Wally. Now that I think on it, Lilith is a shrink,has psychic powers and was a member of the Titans. Unfortunately in the current DC universe Titans characters are fodder and not allowed to be useful.
    Good lord, that reminds me. How many options did they go through before just deciding to let Dick go about his life the way he is now? Could psychics like Ms. Martian or Lilith have prevented "Ric"? Or healers like Djinn? There are so many easy outs for problems like the ones Dick and Wally are going through that I can't believe not a single writer has at least tried to explain why they didn't go those routes.

Hell, King never explains why Wally uses time travel to help cover up his accidental killings and frame two innocent people before killing himself...instead of just going back in time and stopping himself from killing all those people in the first place. He made this whole thing WAY more complicated and heinous than it needed to be.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Hell, King never explains why Wally uses time travel to help cover up his accidental killings and frame two innocent people before killing himself...instead of just going back in time and stopping himself from killing all those people in the first place. He made this whole thing WAY more complicated and heinous than it needed to be.
    It seems vaguely modeled on Jean Loring's killing of Sue Dibny in IDENTITY CRISIS, which HEROES IN CRISIS seems to be attempting to ape. The fallout to ID CRISIS back in '03 was pretty severe, but this just might top it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wally is not as important as Hal Jordan. He's not going to get his very own company wide event to absolve him of his wrong doing. He's going to get the Hank Pym treatment where this follows him around for his days so everyone can remind him he's the bad egg.
    I don't think it's a difference of "importance," but editorial at the time of GL Rebirth didn't have the issues against Hal that current editorial has for Wally so even if there was a Geoff Johns type who wanted to fix this I have my doubts they would actually be allowed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I don't think that's entirely correct. We saw plenty of people who had been to Sanctuary (in the confessionals) who were out and about in the world. Bruce had gone. So had Barbara. I believe Kal implied he'd been, too. We also have no evidence Roy wasn't getting good help. While it's entirely fair to suggest that people with multifaceted problems will require different types of treatments (Sanctuary shouldn't be one size fits all), I don't think it's clear at all that Sanctuary was failing all of the people.
    It sounds like King didn't do a good job of depicting Sanctuary's impact or the more positive effects of it as an institution (or mental health treatments in general).

Astonishing Member

Good lord, that reminds me. How many options did they go through before just deciding to let Dick go about his life the way he is now? Could psychics like Ms. Martian or Lilith have prevented "Ric"? Or healers like Djinn? There are so many easy outs for problems like the ones Dick and Wally are going through that I can't believe not a single writer has at least tried to explain why they didn't go those routes.

Raven and Ms.Martian were Dick 's teammates when he first became Ric. Raven conveniently lost her powers at the time and MM didn't even try to help Dick get better.Lilith has been in limbo since the Titans roster for retooled.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Eh just ignore it until it gets retconned out.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Replying directly to Title of Thread:

Who the heck cares?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    They won't care.

Flash year one is conveniently positioned in a point where they can avoid Barry dealing with it.

The other 3 will shrug.
    This right here. They effectively took him out back and shot him.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Eh just ignore it until it gets retconned out.
    Yeah. King was allowed to tell his story, but like CRY FOR JUSTICE before it, I think it's too unpopular to endure. I'm surprised Didio got the clearance for it and that he's willing to risk the backlash.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014