Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    To be fair, the robo t-rex kick was way later in Dino Thunder. According to the thread title, we're using MMPR Tommy which is Season 1-3.

Which is for the best honestly. Tommy got ridiculous later on.
    He's still jumping 15' in the air, man.

Better?
    Always.

And, aside from the main character's damage soak (he blocks a metal bat hit with his forearms and takes one across the back almost without flinching), I'm partial to this one as well.

There's a bit too much fanciness with the knife fight at the end (and parrying knife on knife), and I'm never a fan of icepick grip (which, fair enough, is personal preference), but I do like the fight.

Warning: Actual fight ugliness.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

My memory of PR is Tommy was the best over all in the martial arts.

Miguel from what I saw in Covea Kai was a noob, learning the ropes, and is very much a puny human in comparing to mother trucking Tommy Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Miguel from what I saw in Covea Kai was a noob, learning the ropes, and is very much a puny human in comparing to mother trucking Tommy Oliver.
    He's an excellent protagonist, but part of his struggle is that he's such a noob. He's not even the best fighter in the show (by design).

Then there's also the scale, naturally. Both Daniel and Johnny are still superior to him and yet they're older and achier (and Ralph Macchio now is older than Pat Morita in the films). But even in their teenage primes, they were fighting on a more realistic and grounded scale than anything in MMPR.

Miguel is upper tier in his show, but his show is a much lower tier than MMPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    He's an excellent protagonist, but part of his struggle is that he's such a noob. He's not even the best fighter in the show (by design).

Then there's also the scale, naturally. Both Daniel and Johnny are still superior to him and yet they're older and achier (and Ralph Macchio now is older than Pat Morita in the films). But even in their teenage primes, they were fighting on a more realistic and grounded scale than anything in MMPR.

Miguel is upper tier in his show, but his show is a much lower tier than MMPR.
    Not dissing him as a Star. The developing star is a positive thing in a story. It’s just yeah, Tommy is high tier on a show that is more high tier than Miguels. That’s the issue.

My memory of PR is Tommy was the best over all in the martial arts.

Eh....Kinda? They usually show him as equal to Jason (The two notoriously could only tie with each other in matches) but Jason notes in the episode "Gung Ho" that he's stronger and faster than Tommy but Tommy's a better swordfighter.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Not dissing him as a Star. The developing star is a positive thing in a story. It’s just yeah, Tommy is high tier on a show that is more high tier than Miguels. That’s the issue.
    Never said you were dissing him at all. I'm just saying that the levels they operate on are really killing Miguel in this fight.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...Yeah, Tommy would wreck Miguel, head to the Cobra Kai school and beat up everyone there, then go back in time to beat up the original Cobra Kai just cause.

...Basically Tommy is way beyond anyone in the Karate Kid franchise as a fighter.

He still beat robbie,only reason that happened was because he showed mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    He still beat robbie,only reason that happened was because he showed mercy.
    Mercy does not exist in Cobra Kai!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Weren't the putties that everyone regularly pounded on like, prreeetty strong actually? I feel like they had some wallsmashing and stuff here and there.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Weren't the putties that everyone regularly pounded on like, prreeetty strong actually? I feel like they had some wallsmashing and stuff here and there.
    I got all of the unmorphed fights in the MMPR Era right here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4322890

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Yes. And in the semi canon comics (Papercutz, Marvel, and Hamilton are maybe canon to the original, and of course Boom!Comics is not canon, but in another timeline) they stomp a bunch of cops and soldiers.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    ...Yeah, Tommy would wreck Miguel, head to the Cobra Kai school and beat up everyone there, then go back in time to beat up the original Cobra Kai just cause.

...Basically Tommy is way beyond anyone in the Karate Kid franchise as a fighter.
    You can't really say that with ones like johnny lawrence who has tons of experience and has foight off guys using crowbars and a bat.

If your going against the entire franchise then your delving into Mr. Miyagi territory,cutting glass bottle tops without knocking them over. Breaking a massive wooden house beam over his best friend to free him without causing damage.

Then just casually beating up anyone and everyone no matter how many. Tommy is very good,but Miyagi was borderline mystical at times.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    You can't really say that with ones like johnny lawrence who has tons of experience and has foight off guys using crowbars and a bat.

If your going against the entire franchise then your delving into Mr. Miyagi territory,cutting glass bottle tops without knocking them over. Breaking a massive wooden house beam over his best friend to free him without causing damage.

Then just casually beating up anyone and everyone no matter how many. Tommy is very good,but Miyagi was borderline mystical at times.
    Tommy kicked a robo tbrex to the face and it was effective. Plus he and Jason survived attacks from
    Titanus And did not die at a point in original series.