Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    You can't really say that with ones like johnny lawrence who has tons of experience and has foight off guys using crowbars and a bat.

If your going against the entire franchise then your delving into Mr. Miyagi territory,cutting glass bottle tops without knocking them over. Breaking a massive wooden house beam over his best friend to free him without causing damage.

Then just casually beating up anyone and everyone no matter how many. Tommy is very good,but Miyagi was borderline mystical at times.
    The Rangers also have tons of experience and have fought off large groups of enemies on a daily basis.

Also, Tommy's been fighting actually mystical enemies since MMPR Season 1.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Plus he and Jason survived attacks from Titanus And did not die at a point in original series.
    To be fair, they were morphed when that went down.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Tommy kicked a robo tbrex to the face and it was effective. Plus he and Jason survived attacks from
    Titanus And did not die at a point in original series.
    Wtf? I already said not in morphed form. Unmorphed only....and from what other people said here that kick ti robo trex happened post mmpr. Im talking high school level tommy in mmpr. No ranger abilities

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

This rumble is not, fortunately for Tommy, a fight against Miyagi. It's against Miguel, and Tommy owns him badly.

Miyagi is another animal entirely.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Incredible Member

My memory of PR is Tommy was the best over all in the martial arts.
    Nope. Tommy and Jason were always portrayed as complete equals in martial arts skills. Jason even commented in an episode of "Zeo" that only Tommy was able to match him move for move.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAce
    Jason notes in the episode "Gung Ho" that he's stronger and faster than Tommy but Tommy's a better swordfighter.
    True but I've always considered that to be Plot Induced Stupidity. The entire plot of "Gung Ho" was "Jason and Tommy need to learn to work together and stop trying to one-up each other." Jason "admitting" that was just to resolve the plot. Now if he'd said that in a different episode, one that had nothing to do with learning to work together, then sure, that would be fine. But as it stands it seems like Jason just said that to resolve the plot, hence PIS.

Off-topic but out of curiosity does Karate have any jumping kick techniques? I know that Taekwando is the martial art that really focuses on advanced kick techniques but are there any other styles that have aerial kicking techniques? Even relatively simple ones.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 04-27-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Nope. Tommy and Jason were always portrayed as complete equals in martial arts skills. Jason even commented in an episode of "Zeo" that only Tommy was able to match him move for move.

True but I've always considered that to be Plot Induced Stupidity. The entire plot of "Gung Ho" was "Jason and Tommy need to learn to work together and stop trying to one-up each other." Jason "admitting" that was just to resolve the plot. Now if he'd said that in a different episode, one that had nothing to do with learning to work together, then sure, that would be fine. But as it stands it seems like Jason just said that to resolve the plot, hence PIS.

Off-topic but out of curiosity does Karate have any jumping kick techniques? I know that Taekwando is the martial art that really focuses on advanced kick techniques but are there any other styles that have aerial kicking techniques? Even relatively simple ones.
    Some styles do,when goju went to japan it incoorperated higher kicks. Kyokushin karate as well. In general the traditional okinawan styles refrained from kicking above the belt due to the stature of most men in that country.

In american parker kenpo which i study. No kick is above the belt. Tang soo do and taekwondo which are both korean do have high kicks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    Some styles do,when goju went to japan it incoorperated higher kicks. Kyokushin karate as well. In general the traditional okinawan styles refrained from kicking above the belt due to the stature of most men in that country.

In american parker kenpo which i study. No kick is above the belt. Tang soo do and taekwondo which are both korean do have high kicks.
    Thank you very much.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

I thought the Crane Kick Daniel used is actually from Crane kingbfu.

Yeah those karate kid movies do not care for actual martial art ( reboot in China, where no Karate, it’s king fu you stupid Hollywood knuckle heads.)

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I thought the Crane Kick Daniel used is actually from Crane kingbfu.
    It's kind of a BS move in any martial art, and I would suggest it was made up for the movie. The whole 'Stand posing on one leg' is nonsensical.

Not to say that the sort of hopping snap kick that is done is out of the question (I've seen people KO'ed by a hopping snap kick in MMA), but it's done while MOVING (with the lift of the first leg not only generating some power, but acting like a feint), not statically off a one-legged 'Pose for the Crowds'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

How is Tommy Oliver not winning this?

He's agile, faster, hits harder, and far better skilled than Miguel ever was.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I don't think there's any question of that. We've topic drifted.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

The irony of this whole thing is that Tommy and Miguel are basically supposed to be like a year maybe two years apart. Both high schoolers