Mighty Member

Default Marvel Comics...like a kids messy bedroom! Help!

I'm definitely a Marvel fan, but my three favorite characters are Iron Man Thor and Hulk/Bruce Banner. So, I've been looking online at some reading guides. I'm currently in the 1960s version of those three characters so I haven't gotten to the complex tie ins and events of later Marvel. The thing is for example, I only care about reading about Thor and the Asgardians and by extension Avengers since both he and Iron Man are part of that group. Once I get to a certain event whether it be Axis Fear Itself Infinity or whatever because each event is sometimes over 100 issues including tie-ins plus 6 issues of the main event, I'd like to read the Thor tie in issues plus the 6 issue main event. But once I get back to the main track of Thor comics, then Thor might refer to an event that he experienced in a Nova crossover tie in issue with (insert Marvel event here) I'll feel like I'm missing part of Thor's story by skipping it, so now I feel like I'd have to wade through all tie-in issues plus the event because it seems like all the tie ins affect Thor Iron Man Hulk. A lot of reading just to find out what happens to my favorite characters! I hope I'm wrong though...

No modern event makes you read anything beyond the character's tie-in and the event to follow what the character is doing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

You are going to find plenty of stories well before the mega events that refer to another book that the character guested in. Since I doubt you plan on reading every book that Thor could possibly guest star in you don't have any reason to read every book that ties in to a major event that you are only following for Thor, so you may as well just stick to the titles that seem like the main story and look up anything that gets referenced, whether it is an event tie in or just some out of the blue issue like Thor shows up in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16.

Mighty Member

Yeah thanks for the help. I guess I'll stick to reading Thor and then whatever tie in issues his book has with the main event and then read the main event itself then go back to reading Thor again. It's the best strategy I can think of. I'm guessing the references will be pointed out in a certain issue with the Asterix and the issue