Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Dick is already being some hobo called "Ric" after being shot in the head. And he's pretty much isolated from the rest of the Bats.
    Yeah, but slowly getting back in the harness, dragged in by wannabe Nightwings that need nursemaiding.

His kind of memory loss is temporary, probably only lasting this long because he actually wants it to. He seems to have repressed a desire to come to a dead stop, and it's come to the fore thanks to the amnesia. Because of it, he avoids anything that might trigger complete recovery. I regard this as an interesting exploration of a previously hidden part of his character. Hopefully this will continue to be reflected and explored when the amnesia is gone. I wouldn't mind a less boring Nightwing. This is kind of exciting. Much better than just killing him off.

Because let's face it. Robin, for him, was a long long time ago. He's his own man now. As were Arsenal and Donna.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 05-04-2019 at 12:33 PM.

All-New Member

It might be quicker to list the things that I'm not disappointed in, but here goes with just my top 5.

1. HiC - this alone is enough to turn me off DC for a good long time. Just terrible conceptually, terrible in execution and all around leaves a bad taste. I have no idea how King justifies destroying a popular and loved character for the sake of telling a story about trauma. He doesn't even do it well - its heavy handed and rife with plot holes. I have no idea how the character recovers, or the fan base.

2. "Ric Grayson" - there just aren't words for how bad this has been.

3. Tom King's Batman - who's good idea was it to let him go on for 100 issues of meandering storytelling? I gave it a good solid 50+ issues, which were very uneven, but the "wedding" issue was the downfall. Don't worry though! It will all make sense in another 25-50 issues. Think about what a writer like Johns accomplished with Green Lantern in 100 issues and then compare to this.

4. Aquaman - I enjoyed the run until Abnett left, and then it took a quick downturn.

5. Green Lantern - I am enjoying the Morrison run so far, but at the same time its really weird to have that corner of the DC universe covered by Hal only. Gone is the decade of Johns followed by the uneven (but not terrible) Venditti run and all of their epic space tales. John, Guy, Kyle and rest are just all in limbo. It just seems really strange.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    This is being discussed on the Didio thread...and the possibility of a hard reboot is being discussed. It makes sense.
    I've said for years that I wish DC would do an "Ultimate" line of comics (like Marvel did years ago) that would start with a fresh universe. Keep the amount of monthly titles low, in a separate continuity, and NEVER cross it over with the mainstream universe. That's where Marvel messed up their Ultimate line. It was great until they merged it into the regular marvel-verse.
    I would love to see a fresh new DC universe, free of all the continuity and b.s. that the mainstream universe has turned into. I've never really been a fan of the "multiverse" to be honest and wish Crisis had never been undone.
    I'm not looking to replace the regular DC universe, just have a fresh "year one" take on another universe, separate from any crossovers, continuities, multiverses, etc. The "Earth One" books is kind of a step towards that, but overall I haven't been that impressed with those books. Some were ok.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I've said for years that I wish DC would do an "Ultimate" line of comics (like Marvel did years ago) that would start with a fresh universe. Keep the amount of monthly titles low, in a separate continuity, and NEVER cross it over with the mainstream universe. That's where Marvel messed up their Ultimate line. It was great until they merged it into the regular marvel-verse.
    I would love to see a fresh new DC universe, free of all the continuity and b.s. that the mainstream universe has turned into. I've never really been a fan of the "multiverse" to be honest and wish Crisis had never been undone.
    I'm not looking to replace the regular DC universe, just have a fresh "year one" take on another universe, separate from any crossovers, continuities, multiverses, etc. The "Earth One" books is kind of a step towards that, but overall I haven't been that impressed with those books. Some were ok.
    Until New52, most of DC's 'reboots' were maintenance retcons to clear up inconsistencies that resulted in the wake of CIE. In fact, it could be argued that CIE was too, but on a larger scale.

Marvel never needed that, but they went and did something like it anyway. The Ultimate line was the first step to that. It was used as a testing ground for possible future changes, as was the Avengers EMH cartoon. At this point, I kind of wish they would change gears and undo some of the mess that's developed over the years. Ah but what do I care? I stopped making mine Marvel in 2011. Their stuff was always on the bottom of my 'to read' stack. Sad.

Dissapointed to see Gleason leaving DC..

I hope never see one strong REBOOT(I know that I will see many Retcons) while I read comics..

They are terrible, able to erase important&interesting characters and stories and years of continuity..
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-06-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obezorz View Post
    It might be quicker to list the things that I'm not disappointed in, but here goes with just my top 5.

1. HiC - this alone is enough to turn me off DC for a good long time. Just terrible conceptually, terrible in execution and all around leaves a bad taste. I have no idea how King justifies destroying a popular and loved character for the sake of telling a story about trauma. He doesn't even do it well - its heavy handed and rife with plot holes. I have no idea how the character recovers, or the fan base.

2. "Ric Grayson" - there just aren't words for how bad this has been.

3. Tom King's Batman - who's good idea was it to let him go on for 100 issues of meandering storytelling? I gave it a good solid 50+ issues, which were very uneven, but the "wedding" issue was the downfall. Don't worry though! It will all make sense in another 25-50 issues. Think about what a writer like Johns accomplished with Green Lantern in 100 issues and then compare to this.

4. Aquaman - I enjoyed the run until Abnett left, and then it took a quick downturn.

5. Green Lantern - I am enjoying the Morrison run so far, but at the same time its really weird to have that corner of the DC universe covered by Hal only. Gone is the decade of Johns followed by the uneven (but not terrible) Venditti run and all of their epic space tales. John, Guy, Kyle and rest are just all in limbo. It just seems really strange.
    That pretty well sums it up for me.

HiC/Ric/Cancellation of Titans hurts the most for me, because those are my favorites. Making them all unlikeable is a knife in the gut, and a reason to just cull down my pull list at my LCS.

Aquaman is just unrecognizable and has lost it's charm for me.

I don't hate King's Bat-run as much as some, but the non-wedding of Bat/Cat, complete with Wedding specials, felt like a big bait and switch. The only way they could pull that out for me would be a reveal that they secretly DID get married and it was a ruse to fool Bane...or an elopement after Bane's arc is done.

Really feeling discouraged by everything DC is putting out lately, and questioning my $100 per month habit!

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

I hope never see one strong REBOOT(I know that I will see many Retcons) while I read comics..

They are terrible, able to erase important&interesting characters and stories and years of continuity..
    Does it really matter if an interesting story is "erased" by a reboot? Like, is a story worth less if it isn't in continuity? Most good stories often have little to no impact on stories that come later. And what would be so terrible about erasing literally decades of continuity? Could be freeing, and better for the health of the business over the long run, than a foreboding and complex history for newbies to try and understand.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

Eliminating stories and continuity is a good thing depending on the characters or franchise. Certain franchises rely too much on rehashing one or two stories. Reboots also create an opportunity to reinvent characters who need it.

From Legends #1...
    I only changed one word...

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    okay...but the book would probably have to be the Ultimate Batman...because it would probably sell.

Bruce as Batman, Richard as Robin and Barbara as Batgirl...of course, Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. It would be like an old Batman cartoon.

. . . Bruce as Batman, Richard as Robin and Barbara as Batgirl...of course, Joker, Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. It would be like an old Batman cartoon.
    Hopefully not as bad as the ones that came out pre-B:TAS . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hopefully not as bad as the ones that came out pre-B:TAS . . .

This was from 1968.

It was the Batman cartoon for the next 20 years!

Some episodes were better than many comics that I've read in the past decade and a half.

I still want Simon the Pieman to return.

This was from 1968.

It was the Batman cartoon for the next 20 years!
    Twenty years of sheer hell . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Twenty years of sheer hell . . .
    Really?

How was it worse than other cartoons from the 60s? 70s? (e.g. Superfriends)