Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Well, in my opinion to get new audiences you need new, different books. Of course, some of the new audience will like the same things the old audience liked, but that means you don't need to change already-liked books/characters. Actual new audience can only come from new characters, books and ideas that your already existing IPs don't cover.
    Well, not exactly.
    Sometimes, companies like DC need to take already established properties and do some "freshening up" of them to make them more new-reader friendly.
    Example that comes to mind is John Byrne's Superman after CoIE. Many things that he helped establish or things that were changed / added after he had left the property are things that many currently "old readers" feel are necessary. (Things like Jonathan and Martha Kent still being alive when Clark was an adult living in Metropolis were added by Byrne's reboot. Prior to that, Ma and Pa Kent had been dead during Clark's time in Metropolis in nearly fifty years worth of stories.)

All-New Member

100% agree on Teen Titans, Grayson, and Batman!

Am I disappointed by DC??!!

In a word, yes.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Agreed, HiC has been a dull mess. But not all DC is a loss. Two words: The Terrifics. Enjoyable, interesting, well-plotted. It is a delight.

And if that doesn't do it for you, two more words: Batman Beyond. The real future of Batman.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, I'm always disappointed by something happening at DC. I'm also always satisfied by something happening at DC.

It just depends on what you point at. Some of their stuff is really good right now, some of it isnt.

Just like always.
    This.

Also DC is putting out a lot of good stuff on media, and the App too. So they are doing a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, not exactly.
    Sometimes, companies like DC need to take already established properties and do some "freshening up" of them to make them more new-reader friendly.
    Example that comes to mind is John Byrne's Superman after CoIE. Many things that he helped establish or things that were changed / added after he had left the property are things that many currently "old readers" feel are necessary. (Things like Jonathan and Martha Kent still being alive when Clark was an adult living in Metropolis were added by Byrne's reboot. Prior to that, Ma and Pa Kent had been dead during Clark's time in Metropolis in nearly fifty years worth of stories.)
    Following Aquaman's movie success the "freshening Up" of the character did the contrary to attract new readers. As a matter of fact it gave any potential new reader nothing to connect with the movie. Had they been wise they could have capitalized on the movie, even if they managed to attract a 0.5% of all those who saw the movie it could have meant thousands of new readers. Instead they come up with a amnesiac guy who instead of Arthur Curry is called Andy. They took out of the picture Mera, Orm, etc Definitely not the way to attract new readers. Ok they gave him tattoos after five months, to make more like Jason Mamoa, but it takes more than tattoos to connect with the movie.
    Besides freshening characters doesn't mean you make them murderers like they did with Wally. The Wally fiasco is one of the lowest points in the history of DC, its like when Aquababy was murdered, which was possibly even worse killing an innocent baby.
    These are superheroes, making them murderers betrays the very concept behind them, that good prevails over evil. That in the end superheroes always manage to find a way to achieve this. Altering characters is not freshening up. They have resisted all these years because they have been in large part true to their original concept. Making small additions, giving them some sort of new outlook, improving the design etc is all good but not altering characters, relationships and all they stood for all these years. This kind of Change does not attract new readers and makes you lose the old ones.

I am just disappointed with there collected department.
    They treat us like a bunch of horses in training.
    Lower the carrot ...... now pull it away .....
    now lower it again ............

Incredible Member

To say the least I'm disappointed with DC. I've been pretty unhappy over the Jon thing, And after with this HiC thing with Wally this past week I've kind of have been in a depressed funk the last few days trying to get my thoughts in order. The situation with it looking like they're replacing Kent as Fate over JL Dark also has me worried for the potential future of the JSA revival since Kent Nelson Dr Fate would have been a no brainer. And feel very let down about many of the other issues brought up like Titans falling apart, the amnesia plots with Aquaman and "Ric Grayson". I've seen a lot of things I liked and other potential opportunities from rebirth fall apart so much, right now I don't have much trust, good will or hope towards DC. It seems like to me the only ways DC is ever going to change direction permanently for the better is if there is a massive shake up and clearing out in the management/editorial. I definitely think Didio needs to go.

Yes, but not seemingly for the same reasons as most people.

I'm fine with King doing his thing, but Snyder... man.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

^Yeah, Snyder has been a bigger disappointment. King still has much going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What did Bendis do with Jon Kent? I haven't caught up with the character since Super sons got cancelled.
    I'll try to give you a quick recap, mostly spoiler free. Not sure how much you follow the Super-titles so you might know some of this already.

Jon was having a hard time at home (just moved to Metropolis from the farm, got turned down by the Titans, assorted other kid problems) and decided to take a summer trip exploring space with his grandfather Jor-El (who's alive because of stuff the previous creative teams and Johns were doing). Things went wrong and Jon ended up spending several years in space before being imprisoned in an alternate dimension for more years. He eventually made it home, but while only weeks had passed for everyone else he had spent about six-seven years away (time travel is involved, obviously). So now he's around 16-17 instead of 10.

Over the last few issues of Superman, Jon has been telling his story and explaining what happened to him. We don't know yet what the new status quo will look like or how the family will deal with this, how they'll try to explain their son suddenly being older, ect.

It's been a real hit, losing 10 year old Jon, who was a national treasure. However, this new "Space Prince" Jon has been interesting. We'll see how it goes and what the new "normal" is, but I think it has promise. Whether you'd enjoy it? That's for you to decide.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Agreed, HiC has been a dull mess. But not all DC is a loss. Two words: The Terrifics. Enjoyable, interesting, well-plotted. It is a delight.

And if that doesn't do it for you, two more words: Batman Beyond. The real future of Batman.
    I have never considered Beyond the true future of Batman and were I in charge I'd make that explicit. The future glimpsed in Tom King's Batman annual#2 also directly contradicts it

Eh, there's no such thing as a "true" future in comics, every future they show is no more than yet another Elseworld of one type or another. That's the fun of future set stories.

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

I find as Snyder, Tynion, and Bendis have become big architects in the DC Universe at large, my interest has summarily waned. I typically do not enjoy anything they write. Many do though, which is fine, I just unfortunately happen to find myself on the wrong side of the fence for now.

At least with King, he keeps things pretty interesting even if I may not like his execution here and there. But the others, honestly they just bore me.

All-New Member

Yes I do agree with you except Bendis work on Superman and Action which I have liked (I hadn't read his work before). The success of the MCU has made me get into Marvel, I think Captain America and Immortal Hulk are great. Aside from the Superman books I don't like any other books, and for the first time, thanks to Tom King, I haven't read a Batman book in over two years.