View Poll Results: Did you see this movie? If so, what did you think?

Voters
389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I saw it and loved it!

308 79.18%
  • I saw it and thought it was just OK. (Please explain.)

60 15.42%
  • I saw it and hated it. (Please explain.)

8 2.06%
  • I refuse to see this in theaters. (Please explain.)

6 1.54%
  • I refuse to see this, period. (Please explain.)

7 1.80%
Page 46 of 170 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    I disagree, it's her story as well as Kitty's. Omitting her is a huge mistake.
    Nope. This was Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique's story. Rachel was unnecessary to the movie.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Phoenix never stays dead and Cyke was never shown killed on screen. It wouldn't have been hard at all to have Rachel Summers running around, she could have served as the biggest mystery to moviegoers.
    She stayed dead in the movies according to The Wolverine, and Jean stated herself that she killed Cyclops in X-men the Last Stand. The reason there was no body was clearly because it was vaporized, just like Xavier's and many other people in the film. The only reason it wasn't revealed at that point was because that part of her powers were still being kept a secret and built up. Rachel appearing in the future would have made no sense at all.

Amazing Member

Since the thread is marked spoilers, I won't bother with tags, but I will say it for the record

HUGE FRIGGIN' SPOILERS!!!

From the events of the movie and the last scene in the school we can infer this:

X1: It happened - Rogue has the white patch of hair
    X2: 50/50 that it happened. Jean being alive would make a case against it happening.
    X3: Didn't happen. Cyclops' return confirms that
    Wolverine Origins 1: 50/50 Emma Frost confirmed dead and dissected by Trask, thus Teen Emma can't exist
    Wolverine Origins 2: Can't spend a movie grieving over a death that never happened.

Minor SPOILERS ahead...

Finally saw the film, it has been rough coming on the boards and not reading spoilers. The brilliance of this film comes in the combination of nostalgia with the flash hope that the best is yet to come. If Fox continues to give the X-Films a budget like this then the future is indeed bright for the X-Films.

While this still didn't feel like the comic books it is easily the most ensemble X-Men movie. We didn't get a sense of a true x-team per-say... it was disband and not reformed (...yet; with the major players we know and love); but it was not a Wolverine story. Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, and Wolverine had their roles to play and character arcs to go through and Beast, Quicksilver (who was the scene stealer), Shadowcat, Storm (finally got to cut loose and was given the most meaningful death), and Iceman played their supporting role parts. It is exactly what felt advertised and what I had hope for given the parameters given in the film series.

I find it funny that Kitty fans are insulted at the fact she was not sent into the future when she was given an increased roll with... a new power. As an Emma fan I was glad to see she was mentioned, but its implied she was killed (though no photo of her with the rest). At the end of the film I liked that we saw an blonde girl all in white in the halls which leads me to fanboy fantasize that that was Emma, however the happenings of the prequels were not erased and Emma is no more, I blame Jones garbage portrayal in the first one. Luckily this is comics and dead so rarely means dead and maybe Emma, like the X-films, will be reborn.

I have never been so thrilled by retroactive continuity shifts.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I have never been so thrilled by retroactive continuity shifts.
    I know, right? Who says retcons are always bad. Sometimes they are your dreams come true. lol

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTG View Post
    Since the thread is marked spoilers, I won't bother with tags, but I will say it for the record

HUGE FRIGGIN' SPOILERS!!!

From the events of the movie and the last scene in the school we can infer this:

X1: It happened - Rogue has the white patch of hair
    X2: 50/50 that it happened. Jean being alive would make a case against it happening.
    X3: Didn't happen. Cyclops' return confirms that
    Wolverine Origins 1: 50/50 Emma Frost confirmed dead and dissected by Trask, thus Teen Emma can't exist
    Wolverine Origins 2: Can't spend a movie grieving over a death that never happened.
    There was only 1 Wolverine's Origin. The Wolverine (2013) is a sequel to X3.

Going over the retcon/timey wimey revision of history, I've deduced the following timeline of events.

Original Timeline
    First Class (1962) > DOFP (1973 Raven Kills Trask version) > Origins Wolverine (1974-1979) > X-Men (2000) > X2 (2000-2001?) > X3 (200?) > The Wolverine (2013) > DOFP (2023 Mutant's hunted by Sentinels)

Altered Timeline
    First Class (1962) > DOFP (1973 Logan helps change history, Raven doesn't kill Trask) > Age Of Apocalypse (1980's) > X-Men (2000) events slightly altered > DOFP happy ending

X2 may have happened by the events wouldn't be exactly the same. Origins, X3 and The Wolverine can't happen thanks to the changes. Parts of Wolverine's origin like him serving in all those wars we saw can happen. However him getting the adamantium is a toss up now. Everything else like Deadpool (Reynolds), Gambit (Kitsch), and Stryker (Huston) recruiting Logan out of Vietnam; are all thrown out.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 05-24-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Honestly The Wolverine can still happen, just instead of being sad about Jeans death he'd be sad about something else. In general Wolverine leaving the school to live on his own a bit as a hermit is not something completely out of the character. Everything else was pretty much contained to Japan.

X2 might have also happened in some way. Stryker is still alive and his son was mentioned. Key difference would be that mutants probably would be at much better position than they were during X2 and it was easier victory for them hence Jean surviving and not triggering Pheonix stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyLovin View Post
    Someone else DID try. It was called X-Men: The Last Stand, and it was HORRIBLE.
    Nah. Mistakes aside, the fanboy hyperbole over that film is worse than the actual film itself.

It's okay, I used to be like you, with an undying hatred for what that film did. But the more I watched it, the more I realized how good it actually is in many ways.

Step aside from the death of Cyclops and the curing of Rogue, and the film honestly didn't do that much wrong.

It gave us the best version of Beast on film yet, the best version of Pyro on film yet, we finally see Magneto as the mutant terrorist that he had talked about being for 2 movies, and saw a comic side of the character that X-Men and X2 didn't exactly delve into, the split personality version of Phoenix, while underdeveloped, is much preferable to "space entity that inhabits Jean's body" version of Phoenix. Storm, while still wrong, was at her best here in the main trilogy, Iceman finally developed into a legit X-Man, and ices up for the first time.

The film is a bit too fast paced and underdeveloped, I'll concede that, that's where films like X-Men, X2, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and X-Men: Days Of Future Past were far superior.

But in terms of taking an established storyline and bringing it to a rather high stakes conclusion, X-Men: The Last Stand satisfies. It wasn't the movie that it should have been, and it didn't fulfill the promises made by X2, and that certainly isn't a shame, but not living up to hype and killing Cyclops don't make for a "horrible" film, even if it does make for a disappointing one.

In many ways, X-Men: The Last Stand is my favorite of the main trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    There was only 1 Wolverine's Origin. The Wolverine (2013) is a sequel to X3.

Going over the retcon/timey wimey revision of history, I've deduced the following timeline of events.

Original Timeline
    First Class (1962) > DOFP (1973 Raven Kills Trask version) > Origins Wolverine (1974-1979) > X-Men (2000) > X2 (2000-2001?) > X3 (200?) > The Wolverine (2013) > DOFP (2023 Mutant's hunted by Sentinels)

Altered Timeline
    First Class (1962) > DOFP (1973 Logan helps change history, Raven doesn't kill Trask) > Age Of Apocalypse (1980's) > X-Men (2000) events slightly altered > DOFP happy ending

X2 may have happened by the events wouldn't be exactly the same. Origins, X3 and The Wolverine can't happen thanks to the changes. Parts of Wolverine's origin like him serving in all those wars we saw can happen. However him getting the adamantium is a toss up now. Everything else like Deadpool (Reynolds), Gambit (Kitsch), and Stryker (Huston) recruiting Logan out of Vietnam; are all thrown out.
    You pretty much got your dates wrong on the movies.

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is set in 2023, and stated by Singer to be set 10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand. Meaning X-Men: The Last Stand is set in 2013. That movie takes place no later than a year after X2, if even that long, meaning that X-Men / X2 are set in 2012. The Wolverine takes place a year after X-Men: The Last Stand (Yukio states "I've been tracking you for over a year"), setting that film in 2014. The mid-credits scene to set up X-Men: Days Of Future Past is 2 years later, so that is 2016.

And, if you want to take it even further and connect these films to real life, 2012 is an election year. X-Men: The Last Stand has a different president than X2, and Storm even mentions that fact, meaning it is very likely that after the events of X2, there was an election, the president of X-Men: The Last Stand was elected, and sworn into office in January of 2013, thus setting up the new political stage.

So the dates you're looking at is X-Men / X2 (2012), X-Men: The Last Stand (2013), The Wolverine (2014), X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023).

Then in the prequels, you have X-Men: First Class in 1962, and while X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a bit trickier to pinpoint exactly, it would take place after the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past (which is 1973), and is heavily theorized to be 1975 when Stryker recruits Logan, and 1981 during the Weapon X portion.

The "15 years" references from X-Men and X2 would be incorrect, but chalk that up to a minor continuity inconsistency like Xavier's "I met Erik when I was 17" line (which Singer has addressed, and regrets).

-----

As far as X-Men: Days Of Future Past is concerned, I watched it again tonight, and yes, it was much better on the 2nd viewing.

My 2 main complaints remain the same - I don't like the retconning / rebooting of the franchise (especially if it's the McAvoy / Fassbender / Lawrence / Hoult versions of the characters, as those versions simply put don't feel like Xavier / Magneto / Mystique / Beast to me - well, Magneto does feel like Magneto, but McKellen's version of the character is much preferred for me), and there needed to be a lot more from the future portion of the movie. I wish the Rogue sequence was still in the movie, or that there was just... SOMETHING more. There was one portion of the movie that felt like a perfect segway to go in and check in on the future characters, and it wasn't taken, it went right back to another damn conversation between McAvoy and Fassbender.

A little bit more from the future portion of the storyline, a little bit more of a parallel storylines type deal, and this would have been the perfect film for me. The comic story is a lot more 50/50 than this one is. Even if it was just a scene showing the mutants watching over Kitty, giving a little bit of backstory and insight into the characters, while they await the inevitable Sentinel attack, and then later on show us the Rogue sequence after Kitty Pryde gets wounded by Wolverine. Just even 2 more semi-significant sequences would have made this movie virtually perfect for me.

There was so much from the future left on the cutting room floor. Basically, the entirety of the first trailer is cut from the film. I have never been concerned about extended cuts for films before, but I am hoping against hope that when this movie hits BluRay, there is an extended cut that has more future scenes, and the Rogue sequence, and not just put on there as deleted scenes. I'd like to see this incorporated into an actual cut of the movie.

I'm still unsure exactly where I rank this with the other movies, but it's on the higher end of the list.
    Last edited by Franchise408; 05-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.

BANNED

Good film. I am of course also, as a huge Kitty Pryde fan, unhappy that they didn't stick with the original plot of sending her back. OTOH, Wolverine has been the driving motor for the movie X-Franchise since it existed, so it's only to be expected that a bunch of suits would choose him over her.

But the movie was very good, the characters were solid. The action was nicely choreographed and the special effects also looked good. All in all, a return to quality for the movie X-Men.

Now, I hope that Marvel explicitly does not try to change the characters in the comics to mirror the movie characters. Kitty Pryde is quite fine with her current power set.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post

X-Men: Days Of Future Past is set in 2023, and stated by Singer to be set 10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand. Meaning X-Men: The Last Stand is set in 2013. That movie takes place no later than a year after X2, if even that long, meaning that X-Men / X2 are set in 2012. The Wolverine takes place a year after X-Men: The Last Stand (Yukio states "I've been tracking you for over a year"), setting that film in 2014. The mid-credits scene to set up X-Men: Days Of Future Past is 2 years later, so that is 2016.

And, if you want to take it even further and connect these films to real life, 2012 is an election year. X-Men: The Last Stand has a different president than X2, and Storm even mentions that fact, meaning it is very likely that after the events of X2, there was an election, the president of X-Men: The Last Stand was elected, and sworn into office in January of 2013, thus setting up the new political stage.

So the dates you're looking at is X-Men / X2 (2012), X-Men: The Last Stand (2013), The Wolverine (2014), X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023).

Then in the prequels, you have X-Men: First Class in 1962, and while X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a bit trickier to pinpoint exactly, it would take place after the events of X-Men: Days Of Future Past (which is 1973), and is heavily theorized to be 1975 when Stryker recruits Logan, and 1981 during the Weapon X portion.

The "15 years" references from X-Men and X2 would be incorrect, but chalk that up to a minor continuity inconsistency like Xavier's "I met Erik when I was 17" line (which Singer has addressed, and regrets).

Wow so they retconned the dates of the movies from outside the film continuity/IRL? That's even more exasperating. I doubt X1 and X2 took place in 2012. The level of tech outside of the Xavier Mansion screams early 2000's. Strykers office, Scott's car playing N'Sync (really Scott?), cell phones, the different president's as you mentioned etc. Also Styker being a young captain in the 70's (DOFP) but still a fairly spry old man in presumably 2012 (X2), seems unlikely.

Whatever. It's Singer's franchise, he can date his movies whatever he wishes. Reminds me how he said Superman Returns was a sequel to Superman II. Superman II which took place in 1980 and after a 5 year absence Superman returns to a world of digital tv, cell phones, and the internet ? Singer may want to refresh himself with history and how time works as he moves forward, or are we moving backwards?
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 05-24-2014 at 02:34 AM.

BANNED

I feared Quicksilver... he still looked horribly off, the make-up department should be flogged for what they did to the actor, but damn, his scenes were fun.

Also cinematic moment of pure beauty... The glass ceiling over Magneto shattering and glass raining down on him. Shot gorgeously.

The deaths in this were brutal. Iceman got killed in two deliciously gruesome scenes, Colossus had a very graphic second death. Sunspot lost a freakin' arm before getting taken out. Bishop exploded. (In before people bitch about racism) I think Warpath and Blink actually got killed mercifully compared to the rest.

Great use of Blink by the way. I would have loved to have seen more of the future, but I get why it didn't get more showtime. Brilliant how Singer just wiped X3 off the map, and Wolverine Origins never even existed, not even in this effort of creating a clean slate, it didn't get referenced at all I think.

This movie has SO MUCH going on, so many elements, so many plotlines and characters, it's one of those movies that you can easily watch a second time and still not be bored.

DoFP is the X-men movie we deserve, it is fun, fast, full of action and gorgeous special effects. It might actually be my favorite X-men movie of the whole bunch.

Pet peeves:
    Mystique, I liked Rebecca Romijn's version better, because she's such a blank slate, which makes her so much more of a threat. This version has a personality, but it isn't as wicked and as devious as it could have been.

"Oh, and all of these characters are DEAD!" that came out of nowhere. We only saw a couple of pictures, and the rest of them got mentioned, but Banshee, Emma, and pretty much all of the characters introduced in first class got killed off inbetween movies. I didn't care about Azazel, but Banshee and Emma did sting a bit, because I think Singer could have done wonders with Emma Frost. At least Havoc still lives.

BANNED

Charles was great
    Erik was great.
    Mystique was great.
    Quicksilver was great.
    Blink was great.

Hugh was good because he wasn't really given some scripts that will really make us feel him more. Same with the next in line
    Halle was good.
    Kitty Pryde was good.
    Sunspot was good.

I don't want to say the rest.

Anyway, I don't think Storm died. Yes she was impaled but I think she can survived it. She was just thrown but she did not die. Hehehe

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    Nah. Mistakes aside, the fanboy hyperbole over that film is worse than the actual film itself.

It's okay, I used to be like you, with an undying hatred for what that film did. But the more I watched it, the more I realized how good it actually is in many ways.

Step aside from the death of Cyclops and the curing of Rogue, and the film honestly didn't do that much wrong.

It gave us the best version of Beast on film yet, the best version of Pyro on film yet, we finally see Magneto as the mutant terrorist that he had talked about being for 2 movies, and saw a comic side of the character that X-Men and X2 didn't exactly delve into, the split personality version of Phoenix, while underdeveloped, is much preferable to "space entity that inhabits Jean's body" version of Phoenix. Storm, while still wrong, was at her best here in the main trilogy, Iceman finally developed into a legit X-Man, and ices up for the first time.

The film is a bit too fast paced and underdeveloped, I'll concede that, that's where films like X-Men, X2, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and X-Men: Days Of Future Past were far superior.

But in terms of taking an established storyline and bringing it to a rather high stakes conclusion, X-Men: The Last Stand satisfies. It wasn't the movie that it should have been, and it didn't fulfill the promises made by X2, and that certainly isn't a shame, but not living up to hype and killing Cyclops don't make for a "horrible" film, even if it does make for a disappointing one.

In many ways, X-Men: The Last Stand is my favorite of the main trilogy.

-----

As far as X-Men: Days Of Future Past is concerned, I watched it again tonight, and yes, it was much better on the 2nd viewing.

My 2 main complaints remain the same - I don't like the retconning / rebooting of the franchise (especially if it's the McAvoy / Fassbender / Lawrence / Hoult versions of the characters, as those versions simply put don't feel like Xavier / Magneto / Mystique / Beast to me - well, Magneto does feel like Magneto, but McKellen's version of the character is much preferred for me), and there needed to be a lot more from the future portion of the movie. I wish the Rogue sequence was still in the movie, or that there was just... SOMETHING more. There was one portion of the movie that felt like a perfect segway to go in and check in on the future characters, and it wasn't taken, it went right back to another damn conversation between McAvoy and Fassbender.

A little bit more from the future portion of the storyline, a little bit more of a parallel storylines type deal, and this would have been the perfect film for me. The comic story is a lot more 50/50 than this one is. Even if it was just a scene showing the mutants watching over Kitty, giving a little bit of backstory and insight into the characters, while they await the inevitable Sentinel attack, and then later on show us the Rogue sequence after Kitty Pryde gets wounded by Wolverine. Just even 2 more semi-significant sequences would have made this movie virtually perfect for me.

There was so much from the future left on the cutting room floor. Basically, the entirety of the first trailer is cut from the film. I have never been concerned about extended cuts for films before, but I am hoping against hope that when this movie hits BluRay, there is an extended cut that has more future scenes, and the Rogue sequence, and not just put on there as deleted scenes. I'd like to see this incorporated into an actual cut of the movie.

I'm still unsure exactly where I rank this with the other movies, but it's on the higher end of the list.
    I'm not sure where you heard this, but X1, X2 and X3 took place around 2005-2007

It was shown in the official timeline from Empire Mag and on the 25moments website.

The Wolverine takes place in 2013. Yukio had been tracking him for a year, but that doesn't mean only a year had passed between the events of X3 and that film.
    Last edited by The Weather God; 05-24-2014 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    I feared Quicksilver... he still looked horribly off, the make-up department should be flogged for what they did to the actor, but damn, his scenes were fun.

Also cinematic moment of pure beauty... The glass ceiling over Magneto shattering and glass raining down on him. Shot gorgeously.

The deaths in this were brutal. Iceman got killed in two deliciously gruesome scenes, Colossus had a very graphic second death. Sunspot lost a freakin' arm before getting taken out. Bishop exploded. (In before people bitch about racism) I think Warpath and Blink actually got killed mercifully compared to the rest.

Great use of Blink by the way. I would have loved to have seen more of the future, but I get why it didn't get more showtime. Brilliant how Singer just wiped X3 off the map, and Wolverine Origins never even existed, not even in this effort of creating a clean slate, it didn't get referenced at all I think.

This movie has SO MUCH going on, so many elements, so many plotlines and characters, it's one of those movies that you can easily watch a second time and still not be bored.

DoFP is the X-men movie we deserve, it is fun, fast, full of action and gorgeous special effects. It might actually be my favorite X-men movie of the whole bunch.

Pet peeves:
    Mystique, I liked Rebecca Romijn's version better, because she's such a blank slate, which makes her so much more of a threat. This version has a personality, but it isn't as wicked and as devious as it could have been.

"Oh, and all of these characters are DEAD!" that came out of nowhere. We only saw a couple of pictures, and the rest of them got mentioned, but Banshee, Emma, and pretty much all of the characters introduced in first class got killed off inbetween movies. I didn't care about Azazel, but Banshee and Emma did sting a bit, because I think Singer could have done wonders with Emma Frost. At least Havoc still lives.
    Wolverine Origins was referenced though because Logan had... BONE CLAWS!!! Lol
    In X2, Stryker says to Wolverine " You were always an animal. I just gave you claws". Going with the notion that Logan didn't possess them before he met Stryker.

Also in those blink and you miss it flashbacks Logan was having; there was a scene with Liev Scrieber Sabertooth steeping on Logan's bone claws. Which happened in Origins during the fight in the lumberjack area.

As i posted above the only film from the original series that can technically still happen unaltered is X1. X2 ends with Jean sacrificing herself to lift the Blackbird out of danger. The preceding events of X2 (journeying to Akalai Lake) can't have happened. It's a toss up if Logan even meets Styker in this new continuity since he was rescued by Mystique in disguise at the end of DOFP.