View Poll Results: Did you see this movie? If so, what did you think?

Voters
389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I saw it and loved it!

308 79.18%
  • I saw it and thought it was just OK. (Please explain.)

60 15.42%
  • I saw it and hated it. (Please explain.)

8 2.06%
  • I refuse to see this in theaters. (Please explain.)

6 1.54%
  • I refuse to see this, period. (Please explain.)

7 1.80%
Page 53 of 170 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Jennifer Lawrence couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. Obviously you don't understand how Hollywood or awards work. It's not a game of who does it best.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I will also say this, I can see why there is a disconnect between all the great reviews this film is getting, all the casual fans that seemed to love the film and some of the more hardcore fans who seem disappointed with the film. The former groups are just evaluating the film for what it is ie a film about the X-men centered around a few core characters. In that regard I like them think this was a well made movie.

I think the hardcore crowd wants all these characters to get focus that simply isn't possible given the time constraints of the movie.
    I think people ultimately got the wrong idea, and for good reason, but thankfully I was able to read between the lines and understand that the film would be First Class focused. Singer made that clear long ago, and even pointed to the future portion only being 30% of the movie. That's not much to play with in a 2 hour film and an all star cast this huge(there was a reason Rogue was completely cut). Even in just the future portion, which consisted of 8 or 9 major characters, there's just no way to expect more than what was given. Hence, watching the opening sequence and the power piece videos would easily lead to someone ultimately being disappointed. I would have enjoyed if the film were more focused on the future, but I never expect this, because it was never indicated.
    Last edited by The Weather God; 05-24-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    That's what I've been trying to say. Any difference between the comic version of a character and the character in the movie version gets blown up by the hardcore fan/comic reader. If there's little focus on a certain character, fans of that character feel like it's a personal attack. It isn't. This is the movie-verse. Not the comics. There will be differences.
    Well there is that but I think it goes beyond that. The problem is there are too many X-men. Every movie has filler characters or who are there just to serve the plot. The difference is that in the Avengers or Spiderman, those characters get filled by a random or some minor character from the comics. In the X-men, you need a filler mutant character you inevitably end up picking a recognizable mutant with their own fan base which means many of those fans end up pissed over it.

That's the fundamental problem here. The future X-men were only there to show the nature of the threat. They were not there to be fully developed characters. In an Avengers movie you could just show a bunch of random humans getting their ass kicked but in the X-men you are showing mutants and so you pick mutants from the comic books. In Avengers a lot of humans died in New York. No one cares. In the X-men, you need a mutant for that role and all hell breaks loose.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-24-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. Obviously you don't understand how Hollywood or awards work. It's not a game of who does it best.
    Obviously you don't know good acting when you see it--or I'm guessing you've seen nothing she's been in but this and Hunger Games. You better stick to comic book movies anyway. I'm sure Academy Award worthy movies aren't to your taste.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Well there is that but I think it goes beyond that. The problem is there are too many X-men. Every movie has filler characters or who are there just to serve the plot. The difference is that in the Avengers or Spiderman, those characters get filled by a random or some minor character from the comics. In the X-men, you need a filler mutant character you inevitably end up picking a recognizable mutant with their own fan base which means many of those fans end up pissed over it.

That's the fundamental problem here. The future X-men were only there to show the nature of the threat. They were not there to be fully developed characters. In an Avengers movie you could just show a bunch of random humans getting their ass kicked but in the X-men you are showing mutants and so you pick mutants from the comic books. No one complains about all those random humans in the Avenger films not being developed but they will complain when it's a mutant.
    and that's not to mention the Avengers characters are developed in their own individual flicks. So ultimately when an Avenger movie roll around, character development in such a massive team based film isn't really necessary for everyone. The X-men have this problem because the only one who has any focus and development in and outside of the X-men films is Wolverine. It's essentially Avengers with Tony Stark focus for every X-men film, and that's going to lead to disappointed. I think they did a better job in this film because the focus was on Xavier, Raven and Eric. Despite the future characters being underdeveloped, their goal and purpose was clear as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    and that's not to mention the Avengers characters are developed in their own individual flicks. So ultimately when an Avenger movie roll around, character development in such a massive team based film isn't really necessary for everyone. The X-men have this problem because the only one who has any focus and development in and outside of the X-men films is Wolverine. It's essentially Avengers with Tony Stark focus for every X-men film, and that's going to lead to disappointed. I think they did a better job in this film because the focus was on Xavier, Raven and Eric. Despite the future characters being underdeveloped, their goal and purpose was clear as well.
    It's also why it's tough to compare X-Men films with Avengers films. Most Avengers get there own solo films and franchises that allow them to develop on their own for 2 hours. The X-Men is an ensemble cast and it's tough to do spinoffs with every member of the team.

You know I do wonder who exactly will be left for X-men Apocalypse, team/character wise I mean. I know that Fassbender, McAvoy, Hoult, Lawrence, Peters, and Channing Tatum(since he's Gambit) will all be in the film but who will be the X-men to fight Apocalypse, seeing as how Magneto and Mystique are both Villains(less in Mystique's case). I heard a rumor that younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and maybe even Nightcrawler could appear to join the X-men, which would be cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I do wonder who exactly will be left for X-men Apocalypse, team/character wise I mean. I know that Fassbender, McAvoy, Hoult, Lawrence, Peters, and Channing Tatum(since he's Gambit) will all be in the film but who will be the X-men to fight Apocalypse, seeing as how Magneto and Mystique are both Villains(less in Mystique's case). I heard a rumor that younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and maybe even Nightcrawler could appear to join the X-men, which would be cool to see.
    You heard correctly. I hope it happens. Would love to see Xavier listen to what Logan told him and go on to recruit Storm, Cyclops, and Jean.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    This is Fox masters of Disappointment.

You know that's way too good to be true.

You heard correctly. I hope it happens. Would love to see Xavier listen to what Logan told him and go on to recruit Storm, Cyclops, and Jean.
    I hope so, because after this movie, they will need some more X-men in the 80's. Especially after the post-credit sequence and what I heard about the new X-men: Apocalypse movie here.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...disaster-movie

I will also say this, I can see why there is a disconnect between all the great reviews this film is getting, all the casual fans that seemed to love the film and some of the more hardcore fans who seem disappointed with the film. The former groups are just evaluating the film for what it is ie a film about the X-men centered around a few core characters. In that regard I like them think this was a well made movie.

I think the hardcore crowd wants all these characters to get focus that simply isn't possible given the time constraints of the movie.
    I personally didn't want all of these characters to get focus, I just wanted about one, maybe 2 more brief sequences in the future, to make them feel more involved in the plot. Didn't have to be huge action sequences or anything. They could have just been dialogue to develop that future a little bit more. Well, and the Rogue sequence. There were a LOT of shots that were shown in trailers that I was looking forward to that didn't make the final cut.

But ultimately, I agree with you...

That's what I've been trying to say. Any difference between the comic version of a character and the character in the movie version gets blown up by the hardcore fan/comic reader. If there's little focus on a certain character, fans of that character feel like it's a personal attack. It isn't. This is the movie-verse. Not the comics. There will be differences.
    ...and with this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    I think people ultimately got the wrong idea, and for good reason, but thankfully I was able to read between the lines and understand that the film would be First Class focused. Singer made that clear long ago, and even pointed to the future portion only being 30% of the movie. That's not much to play with in a 2 hour film and an all star cast this huge(there was a reason Rogue was completely cut). Even in just the future portion, which consisted of 8 or 9 major characters, there's just no way to expect more than what was given. Hence, watching the opening sequence and the power piece videos would easily lead to someone ultimately being disappointed. I would have enjoyed if the film were more focused on the future, but I never expect this, because it was never indicated.
    I always knew the film was more "First Class 2" than it was "X-Men 4", but I disagree with you in saying it was never indicated.

You say 30% isn't a lot to work with in a 2 hour film, but I don't even think we got that much. I'd say that it was indicated that the future sequences would be more involved than they were. The vast majority of the marketing centered on the future sequences, all of the hype was about the "ultimate X-Men ensemble", which it didn't really feel that way because the future sequences were so short and rushed through, even when they were there.

I just felt underwhelmed by it, and not because I saw it all in trailers, at least not because of the nature that I had seen it already, but just because I felt it was wasted potential. There was potential here to involve the future cast moreso than they were, and make this film truly epic. As it was, it was a good movie that may actually be my favorite of the series, I don't know yet, but it certainly wasn't the epic that by all rights, it should have been.

I'm hoping for an extended cut when the BluRay releases that will give me a little bit more of what I'm looking for. I know the material is there. It was advertised to us. It just didn't make it into the final movie.

^ All shots that were heavily advertised in trailers, but not in the movie. And those are just a couple I found off google images, hardly exhaustive of what was shown in marketing but not in the final movie. Also what I could fit in one post

And I mean, I get how movies are made. I understand the marketing, and the editing process. I'm not saying it was a malicious thing, false advertising, or anything like that. But I don't think that you can totally fault the audience for having certain expectations when the final product doesn't give everything that was advertised.

There WAS more from the future that was indicated to be in the movie, that simply wasn't. Again, it's not malicious or false advertising. Singer's final vision didn't include all of those aspects.

But in my opinion, it is disappointing for me when I was expecting and hoping for more of a particular aspect of the movie, and it didn't deliver.

I typically agree with you, fans get far too sensitive about every character's development and such. I've never had much issue when certain characters get relegated to a background role. Even as a Gambit fan, when he finally made it into the movie, I wasn't all worked up about the fact that he was in it so briefly and that most of his scenes were already shown in marketing.

But this is probably the singular example in this franchise where I feel the movie actually needed -more- of something. I've wanted a few alternate cuts of past movies (for instance, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine have actual PROPER versions of certain scenes IN THE SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE BLURAY, that if they were the actual cut of the movie, those movies would have been much better in my opinion), but this is the first time where I really want an EXTENDED CUT. There needed to be more in the future, in my opinion.

Not tons more. No need to shift the focus to the future instead of the past. I'm not expecting Colossus to suddenly be deeply developed, or Bishop to be a central character. But a little bit more from the future would have been both welcome and... in my opinion, necessary.

An example of what I would have liked:

The shot with Iceman and Kitty Pryde looking at each other - I would have loved if that was before Kitty sent Logan back in time, and was a call to the comic book story where Colossus and Kitty Pryde discuss the nature of time travel, and how changing the past could possibly mean that their love never existed, with Kitty Pryde telling Colossus that it is worth it. It would have added only a minimal amount of time to the movie, but I felt added a lot of emotional weight. It would have helped give more feeling to the future segments.

Obviously, I would have enjoyed seeing the Rogue sequence. I was really looking forward to watching Magneto and Iceman break her out of the mansion's concentration camp, fleeing Sentinels on the way.

Perhaps even in a nice plot turn, it would have been them rescuing Rogue and returning to the temple that would have given their location away, sending the Sentinels their way for the final battle. It would have been a nice plot aspect of... this mission is doomed if Rogue doesn't come, but by going and finding her, it's jeopardized the mission. The return of Magneto and Iceman to the temple, knowing they had been discovered, could add a sense of urgency to the mission.

Probably an additional 10 minutes tops of footage, and only a minimally altered ending as it would be Rogue holding on to Logan at the end instead of Kitty, but I feel something like that would have made the movie infinitely more enjoyable for me, just to feel like the future was actually a part of the movie.

We got an extended cut of The Wolverine. I do hope there's an extended cut of X-Men: Days Of Future Past as well. If there is, then most of my disappointments about this movie will probably be dispelled.
    Last edited by Franchise408; 05-24-2014 at 02:47 PM.

If I could change the future segment, I'd make it so that Rogue was the mutant who had the ability for temporal astral projection, because she absorbed it from another mutant. Then I'd make Kitty be the one who gets sent back a few days each time, instead of Bishop, since her abilities would allow her and Rogue to avoid injury. Also, it would still be a nod to Kitty's role in the comics. Then the rest of the movie could still play out similarly with Wolverine being sent back.

I'm guessing Anna Paquin's work schedule with True Blood limited the time she could be on set, so her role wasn't as big as it potentially could have been. The same probably goes for Halle Berry and her pregnancy. Real life conflicts having an affect on the story. It's just how movies work.

I just wanted to see the stuff that was filmed and advertised. This movie was about 5-10 minutes of future footage away from being the best thing to ever happen to my life.

But I actually kind of liked Bishop being the "2 week time traveler". A nod to his own time travel history.

I feel like Kitty being the one to send Logan back IS the nod to her comic book role.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    I always knew the film was more "First Class 2" than it was "X-Men 4", but I disagree with you in saying it was never indicated.

You say 30% isn't a lot to work with in a 2 hour film, but I don't even think we got that much. I'd say that it was indicated that the future sequences would be more involved than they were. The vast majority of the marketing centered on the future sequences, all of the hype was about the "ultimate X-Men ensemble", which it didn't really feel that way because the future sequences were so short and rushed through, even when they were there.

I just felt underwhelmed by it, and not because I saw it all in trailers, at least not because of the nature that I had seen it already, but just because I felt it was wasted potential. There was potential here to involve the future cast moreso than they were, and make this film truly epic. As it was, it was a good movie that may actually be my favorite of the series, I don't know yet, but it certainly wasn't the epic that by all rights, it should have been.

I'm hoping for an extended cut when the BluRay releases that will give me a little bit more of what I'm looking for. I know the material is there. It was advertised to us. It just didn't make it into the final movie.

^ All shots that were heavily advertised in trailers, but not in the movie. And those are just a couple I found off google images, hardly exhaustive of what was shown in marketing but not in the final movie. Also what I could fit in one post

And I mean, I get how movies are made. I understand the marketing, and the editing process. I'm not saying it was a malicious thing, false advertising, or anything like that. But I don't think that you can totally fault the audience for having certain expectations when the final product doesn't give everything that was advertised.

There WAS more from the future that was indicated to be in the movie, that simply wasn't. Again, it's not malicious or false advertising. Singer's final vision didn't include all of those aspects.

But in my opinion, it is disappointing for me when I was expecting and hoping for more of a particular aspect of the movie, and it didn't deliver.

I typically agree with you, fans get far too sensitive about every character's development and such. I've never had much issue when certain characters get relegated to a background role. Even as a Gambit fan, when he finally made it into the movie, I wasn't all worked up about the fact that he was in it so briefly and that most of his scenes were already shown in marketing.

But this is probably the singular example in this franchise where I feel the movie actually needed -more- of something. I've wanted a few alternate cuts of past movies (for instance, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine have actual PROPER versions of certain scenes IN THE SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE BLURAY, that if they were the actual cut of the movie, those movies would have been much better in my opinion), but this is the first time where I really want an EXTENDED CUT. There needed to be more in the future, in my opinion.

Not tons more. No need to shift the focus to the future instead of the past. I'm not expecting Colossus to suddenly be deeply developed, or Bishop to be a central character. But a little bit more from the future would have been both welcome and... in my opinion, necessary.

We got an extended cut of The Wolverine. I do hope there's an extended cut of X-Men: Days Of Future Past as well. If there is, then most of my worries about this movie will probably be dispelled.
    You can't base the involvement of a character in a film off a trailer or a screencap, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. The Storm clip on Ellen made it looked like there was much more to be seen from her after that clip, when there wasn't. Advertizes don't really care how little a character is involved in a film if that person or character can be used to boost the sales of their product. Reading interviews from cast members, directors, producers is where you can get roughly what you're trying to find. Halle stated herself that she wasn't in it as much as she wanted, and Bryan made it clear that the future would not be the focus. Rogue was cut from the movie entirely(and she was involved and filmed an entire subplot), which suggest that they were already on borrowed time.

The future was definitely about 30% of the film. They had roughly 30 minutes of screentime in a 2 hour movie. The beginning of the film started in the future and was roughly 15 minutes long. The rest took place over the course of the film. That's for 8 or 9 major characters, which is not much to play with at all. Above all else, I expected them to share most of their time on screen and that is what happened. That's the only thing that be done or expected in order to give these characters any shot of development or a chance to shine, and I think Bryan did well with what he had to work with despite the odds. I don't think the potential was squandered because I don't think it'll be the last time we see these characters. There is an X-Force movie on the way that I'm sure will include several of them.

More in the future is not something I'm arguing against. I wanted more from the future. What I'm saying is that I didn't expect more. What we were given is about what I expected we would get, because of what I knew prior to seeing it. So I was ultimately not disappointed. I would love the extended cut. There was many things cut, including a big revelation about Storm that Halle said would be in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    I just wanted to see the stuff that was filmed and advertised. This movie was about 5-10 minutes of future footage away from being the best thing to ever happen to my life.

But I actually kind of liked Bishop being the "2 week time traveler". A nod to his own time travel history.

I feel like Kitty being the one to send Logan back IS the nod to her comic book role.
    In fact, that is the reason Kitty was give the time travel powers, as a nod to her role in the original comic story. Wolverine was chosen however since hes had his own solo movies and is the most recognizable xman. After all, if you know the xmen only from the movies, would you even remember who kitty pride was? The Director has stated so in interviews.

Also, storm couldn't have a bigger future xmen role because the actress was pregnant with an ever growing belly. That limited a lot of what she could do. At least they still gave her a nice kickass scene.