View Poll Results: Did you see this movie? If so, what did you think?

Voters
389. You may not vote on this poll
  • I saw it and loved it!

308 79.18%
  • I saw it and thought it was just OK. (Please explain.)

60 15.42%
  • I saw it and hated it. (Please explain.)

8 2.06%
  • I refuse to see this in theaters. (Please explain.)

6 1.54%
  • I refuse to see this, period. (Please explain.)

7 1.80%
Page 55 of 170 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

Jennifer Lawrence was great in this, as well as Silver Lining and American Hustle.

I dont get the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    and that's not to mention the Avengers characters are developed in their own individual flicks. So ultimately when an Avenger movie roll around, character development in such a massive team based film isn't really necessary for everyone. The X-men have this problem because the only one who has any focus and development in and outside of the X-men films is Wolverine. It's essentially Avengers with Tony Stark focus for every X-men film, and that's going to lead to disappointed. I think they did a better job in this film because the focus was on Xavier, Raven and Eric. Despite the future characters being underdeveloped, their goal and purpose was clear as well.
    Yes exactly which is why they really need to develop different teams/solos. Then you can bring the stars from those different teams together into an Avengers still movie.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I do wonder who exactly will be left for X-men Apocalypse, team/character wise I mean. I know that Fassbender, McAvoy, Hoult, Lawrence, Peters, and Channing Tatum(since he's Gambit) will all be in the film but who will be the X-men to fight Apocalypse, seeing as how Magneto and Mystique are both Villains(less in Mystique's case). I heard a rumor that younger versions of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and maybe even Nightcrawler could appear to join the X-men, which would be cool to see.
    They could solve this by having the 4 horsemen be X-men. Personally I would take 4 X-men likely to appear in solo movies and have them be Horseman. So you can have them be villains in the X-men movie and then explore their hero lives in the solo.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I really hope they don't use X-Men as horseman. That is literally the lamest thing about Apocalypse.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post
    There's really very little she would have added to the movie. It adds an unnecessary side-plot that would only confuse people. It's been 9 years since The Last Stand and a lot of people have long since forgotten who Rogue is. Sorry to make everybody feel old but to put it in perspective, a 10 year old kid watching DoFP was an infant when TLS was in theaters. An audience member who has only seen First Class and has some idea of who Wolverine is can enjoy this movie without any problems.

Kitty trying to maintain the link while being wounded provides enough dramatic tension to keep the future scenes relevant and lets the movie flow much more smoothly than it would have if multiple Rogue scenes had chopped up the 70's narrative.
    I don't agree with this. Mainly because there was plenty in the film that would have confused a 10 year old...

Time travel is not confusing. Are there plot holes? Sure. And most movies without time travel have those too.

Vice High Priest ~ CTT

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Time travel is not confusing. Are there plot holes? Sure. And most movies without time travel have those too.
    For a 10 year old(which this movie is not designed for), there is plenty in the film, time travel included, that would be confusing. Them going to rescue a mutant that can mimic the powers of another would not be anymore confusing. Not exactly saying them having Kitty ride it out was a bad choice either, but the Rogue sequence probably would have been better and added more to OT story, along with a couple of other things that were removed(most likely due to time constraints).

Am I the only one that doesn't want to see any of these proposed solo spinoffs? Even Gambit, and I'm a huge Gambit fan. Just too much overkill at that point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't want to see any of these proposed solo spinoffs? Even Gambit, and I'm a huge Gambit fan. Just too much overkill at that point.
    No, I think it's stupid as well. X-Men are a team, not a collection of individual heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I really hope they don't use X-Men as horseman. That is literally the lamest thing about Apocalypse.
    I completely disagree. I loved Angel as Archangel and the original Horsemen, though anything after that was the idea being butchered beyond recognition.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    No, I think it's stupid as well. X-Men are a team, not a collection of individual heroes.
    I think they have to do individual movies if we are ever going to get to know any characters besides Magneto, Xavier, Logan and Mystique. 14 years, 7 movies, and they are the only ones who have had any decent background/point of view expressed.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. X-Men is not Avengers, and I don't want X-Men following the Avengers formula. Thematically or format wise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    and that's not to mention the Avengers characters are developed in their own individual flicks. So ultimately when an Avenger movie roll around, character development in such a massive team based film isn't really necessary for everyone. The X-men have this problem because the only one who has any focus and development in and outside of the X-men films is Wolverine. It's essentially Avengers with Tony Stark focus for every X-men film, and that's going to lead to disappointed. I think they did a better job in this film because the focus was on Xavier, Raven and Eric. Despite the future characters being underdeveloped, their goal and purpose was clear as well.
    I've watched all 7 X-Men movies in the past week, and I realized something. From the opening minutes of the first movie, it's clear that Singer's X-Men story wants to be about Charles Xavier and Magneto. Not Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, or any of the other characters whose lack of screen time and focus that people frequently complain about. Not even Wolverine.

Wolverine's emergence as the protagonist of the series arises from an inherent contradiction in the early X-Men movies. They're action movies where the two most important characters are old men. They may be superpowered old men, but they're old men nonetheless. This is where Wolverine comes in. Not only can he be the idea action star- a guy that can be shot, stabbed, and thrown from great heights dozens of times without forcing the audience to suspend the disbelief- he can also be the audience's surrogate, our window into Charles and Erik's world. He doesn't know any of the back story, we learn it through him as we watch him grow into a hero the same way that we experience the wizarding world through Harry Potter's eyes. Wolverine is our protagonist. Everybody else is secondary. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means that it's simply unreasonable to expect Storm or Cyclops or anyone else to share top billing with Wolverine.

First Class works so well because it allows the X-Men series to be what it wanted to be from the beginning- Xavier and Magneto's story. It's able to do so because it lacks the contradiction of the earlier films. Xavier and Magneto are young, and they're free to run around and be the action stars that these kind of big-budget movies need. They don't have to be the guys acting as chess masters, guiding their pawns through the multimillion dollar set pieces. They can be the focus of those set pieces themselves. The immediate benefit of this? First Class doesn't feature Wolverine. It doesn't need him. Magneto and Xavier are doing the world-building in front of our eyes. We don't need a surrogate so we can be brought up to speed. We can see it all happen in front of us.

Days of Future past is great because it uses Wolverine to his full potential. By sending him back in time, the film can use his growth as a character in the previous films to aid in the growth of our new leads. Wolverine is essential in passing the torch from Stewart to McAvoy. Stewart's student become McAvoy's teacher.

A crucial difference between the X-Men movies and the Avengers is that the X-Men movies (when they've succeeded) have been driven by character, not plot. This is where The Last Stand went wrong. It tried to add plot threads that didn't need to be there. There are times when important characters are literally standing around on the battlefield because the plot gives them nowhere to be. It's also why X-Men Origins failed while The Wolverine succeeded. Origins was cornered. It's plot dictated that Wolverine lose his memory to set up the events of the other movies. There's no room to grow as a character when the plot dictates that all growth is erased by the end. On the other hand, the Wolverine worked because it's all about growth. Wolverine is able to move on from the events of The Last Stand and understand that he still has a purpose and a chance to make his life mean something.

The X-Men movies shouldn't be like the Avengers. They're not ensemble films. The best X-Men movies (X2, First Class, and now Days of Future Past) have understood this and have let each character play the role that they were meant to play, whether big or small.
    Russia is cold, why can't Batman have a warm hat?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmankoff View Post
    The X-Men movies shouldn't be like the Avengers. They're not ensemble films. The best X-Men movies (X2, First Class, and now Days of Future Past) have understood this and have let each character play the role that they were meant to play, whether big or small.
    bingo... right on the money

BANNED

The more I see Quicksilver the less I want to see this film in fact I give up on this crap fest of a series all of my favorite characters are just turned into stupid gimmicks.