4 23.53%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

5 29.41%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman # 69 review

What did you guys think?

I rather enjoyed it. This traveling band approach gives Wonder Woman people to bounce off of which is nice. It is a tad jarring since this is the first time in quite a while since Wonder Woman has had anyone to bounce off of in her own book to this extent, though it makes for some fascinating chemistry with the four characters being so different from one another.
    Maggie was interesting, though my favorite bit would easily have to be the sight of an army of fanged baby men attacking en masse. That was just such a wonderful image. XD
    The bit of people drama was a rather nice touch to see and the whole thing with the town is certainly curious. Looking forward to seeing where things go.

I really *really* want to like this run, but this formula is getting stale, and I'm not overly fond of Diana's 'voice' as GWW writes her.

1. Diana is faced with a problem
    2. Diana attacks the problem with physical violence (Ares, stone giants, cupids)
    3. Someone else uses a non-violent solution by commanding them to listen/obey (Aphrodite and Maggie)

I miss the days when Diana would take all the non-violent solutions she could think of *first*, but instead, we get useless lasso (again) followed by Aphrodite stepping up and taking care of the problem. Diana's 'I keep punching them til they fall down because that's what I do' attitude just makes me kinda sad.

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the part where Wonder Woman was shield-bashing toddlers and then when that proved ineffective so she was like, "Time to draw blood now" and I literally said out loud, "YAAS QUEEN SLAY!"
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-26-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Fun issue.

I liked the banter and interplay between Diana, Aphrodite, Maggie, and Cadmus. Xermanico clearly had fun with all of the inhabitants of Summergrove, and the male and female profiles used to outline the frames on one spread are gorgeous. Or the despondent cupids after Aphrodite chastised them. I also like how the last page, introducing Atlantiades, mirrors the last page of #60 where we first met Aphrodite.

But I'm curious why they call themselves Antlantiades. Is it a typo, or is it reflective of how they were changed in the transition to Man's World? And I like how Wilson sidesteps Atlantiades' origin, since the most well-known myth carries more than a bit of transphobia and rape connotations. She also continues to crib lines from the movie, this time with Diana saying "and if you will not address it, then I must".

On the other hand, this was clearly an issue to set up the problem, not to solve them.

The lasso not working was a little weird, and I'm not sure if or how Wilson will address it. Come to think of it, has Wilson described how she thinks of the lasso? If it is the lasso of submission, given by Aphrodite and driven by love, then it makes all sorts of sense that it would have little effect on the cupids. Not sure why they go by that name here, since it's the latin one. They were called "erotes" in Greek, though that was mainly used for Aphrodite's named children.

As for Gaelforce's criticism of Diana rushing in with punching, I both agree and disagree. We have the attempt at diplomacy with Veronica Cale, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson is out to reform or change Diana, critiquing not only the Diana of her own run but the Diana of prior runs. But in order to do so, Wilson has to show that behaviour in Diana first and lampshade it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The issue is when Wonder Woman rebirth runs before her don’t go to violence often how is this critique it? Sure some of Diana’s runs relied on violent but generally it wasn’t the case

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The issue is when Wonder Woman rebirth runs before her don’t go to violence often how is this critique it? Sure some of Diana’s runs relied on violent but generally it wasn’t the case
    I think violence is but one aspect of this. The way that our three mythketeers contrast the way they fit into modern society with the way Diana fits into it is another aspect. A third is that Diana can be viewed as a character that would be highly critical of our modern society, and would want to transform lots of aspects of it, but has come to become a part of it that tries to improve it rather than change it.

Rucka didn't have Diana that two-fisted, but then you have the runs after Rucka's. I like Fontana's arc, but it wasn't that much about non-violent problem-solving. Then you get Robinson's run and Orlando's run.

I'm not saying that Wilson's run is going in that direction, but it fits with some of the things she has said in interviews, and you can see some of the aspects of it already. I do think she is playing a very long game with her storytelling.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

As for Gaelforce's criticism of Diana rushing in with punching, I both agree and disagree. We have the attempt at diplomacy with Veronica Cale, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson is out to reform or change Diana, critiquing not only the Diana of her own run but the Diana of prior runs. But in order to do so, Wilson has to show that behaviour in Diana first and lampshade it.
    My fault for not being clear.

The 'formula' that I keep seeing repeated is Diana meets foe, Diana fights foe, someone else finishes the fight for her with a non-violent solution.

Her taking the violent route was more a specific criticism about this particular issue, though there have been flashes of it before. Diana is just, overall, being written very unevenly in my opinion - one minute seeking the 'let's hug it out' solutions, and the next the 'let's punch it in the face!' answer. I really don't like 'I beat stuff up and never back down' Diana.

I was enjoying the story up until that point, which just was a bit letdown for me. She not only fails to solve a problem on her own for the third time, but she fails because she takes the 'I have to beat it up' tactic.

Super cool and almost everything a Wonder Woman comic should be, there was a talking flying horse kicking killer cupids. That has to qualify as the mythological kitchen sink.

I resented Wonder Woman coming in with an "only I can fix it" mindset to basically be a buzzkill for the town but then she surprised me with her open mindedness and sound reason. Of course the sound reason went out the window when she didn't figure out Aphrodite's son was the cause of the confusion which should have been obvious. The elevation of Themysciran weapons to a point past Hephaestus' made up for it but the lasso got nerfed again. The power of love allowing the encircled's release made sense since Diana used the same thing to defeat Darkseid in Robinson's run. It was just as annoying used here. The lasso hasn't been quite right since Flashpoint I'd like to know why. A storyline addressing it would be appropriate. Diana was slightly full of herself but I loved her bravado and refusal to retreat. She was done playing games when Aphrodite stepped in to save us from the distasteful visual of Wonder Woman hacking up winged babies.

This journey to Themyscira is becoming more interesting than Marvel's War of the Realms and I'm totally here for War of the Realms. Atlantiades being so gender fluid with unisex attendants was great, leave it to Wilson to infuse modern politics into her writing by adhering to forgotten Greek myth.

The art was amazing especially the cherubs forming a face and that magnificent last page!
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-27-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Can Xermanico just be the regular artist already? This issue had the best art in the run so far.

I'd be more annoyed at Aphrodite resolving the situation if it was coming at the end of the arc, not at the beginning. And her solution was temporary, as Atlantiades regained control of the cherubs. There is still room for Diana to resolve the situation on her own. We are 2 for 2 as far as that's concerned: Aphrodite and Maggie came out of nowhere and solved the problems in the two big arcs, but Diana diffused the Cale situation on her own and helped the refugees meet up with Ferdinand.

The lasso having no effect on the cherubs will be neat if it is indeed like Kjn speculates, that it is due to their connection to Aphrodite and her children. I favor the pre-Crisis lasso and its ties to Aphrodite anyway, so that would be fine by me, as long as it's deliberate and just not another lazy story beat to get around the lasso.

Atlantiades has a neat design.

So Atlantiades is male? And separate from Eros?

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermaphroditus

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Atlantiades is Hermaphroditus who’s intersex i.e both male and female. However, since trans activists have deemed the word “hermaphrodite” offensive, “they” goes by Atlantiades now which is beyond ridiculous if you ask me

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Atlantiades is Hermaphroditus who’s intersex i.e both male and female. However, since trans activists have deemed the word “hermaphrodite” offensive, “they” goes by Atlantiades now which is beyond ridiculous if you ask me
    It's not a new name for them, so why not use it?