Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should the Secret Avengers go back to their roots?

Does anyone feel that the current SA volume is far too funny and lighthearted? The MODOK stuff is interesting but the "ground missions" and interactions between characters are far too "Avengers-y" if that makes any sense. #5 was a lot "darker" than all the others but I feel that the team is just not right. Hawkeye especially. It just doesn'y "click" if that makes sense. What I'm saying is that SA should be more Metal Gear Solid and less Bendis New Avengers. It needs plots such as overthrowing Governments, preventing the Red Skull from launching a new Nazi army, stopping Zemo and the MoE from rulling Europe and Dracula from plunging the world into darkness, stuff like that.

As I said, I like the current volume, I just think that since Coulson will be going into the SHIELD book maybe when this vol is over, they could spin it around and take Ellis's direction with a bit of MG inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Does anyone feel that the current SA volume is far too funny and lighthearted? The MODOK stuff is interesting but the "ground missions" and interactions between characters are far too "Avengers-y" if that makes any sense. #5 was a lot "darker" than all the others but I feel that the team is just not right. Hawkeye especially. It just doesn'y "click" if that makes sense. What I'm saying is that SA should be more Metal Gear Solid and less Bendis New Avengers. It needs plots such as overthrowing Governments, preventing the Red Skull from launching a new Nazi army, stopping Zemo and the MoE from rulling Europe and Dracula from plunging the world into darkness, stuff like that.

As I said, I like the current volume, I just think that since Coulson will be going into the SHIELD book maybe when this vol is over, they could spin it around and take Ellis's direction with a bit of MG inspiration.
    The books roots were a cosmic arc featuring richard rider and a kirby esque evil. The book really has not sold since. The arcs then switched to kung fu and spy stuff and bled readers. The last couple remender arcs were pretty good but a little weird...but they were mostly straitforward avengers tales. Vol. 2 has basically never sold well.

My answer is no, because i think readers demands for kung fu and spy stuff is overrated by marvel. Also Hickman is doing some of the same stuff in avengers world...it makes secret a forgotten and pointless vehicle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    The books roots were a cosmic arc featuring richard rider and a kirby esque evil. The book really has not sold since. The arcs then switched to kung fu and spy stuff and bled readers. The last couple remender arcs were pretty good but a little weird...but they were mostly straitforward avengers tales. Vol. 2 has basically never sold well.

My answer is no, because i think readers demands for kung fu and spy stuff is overrated by marvel. Also Hickman is doing some of the same stuff in avengers world...it makes secret a forgotten and pointless vehicle.
    The locations may have been "exotic" but the main sotry arc was pretty darn espionage. They were basically trying to stop a secret organization from gaining power. And the issues with Moon Knight were "spy" issues as well. I don't think that SA is not needed, it's just that nobody knows how to make it work. The first MNOW! vol was great, but they relaunched it before its time.

My personal belief is that the book should have focused on some different characters...personally im just tired of hawkeye, black widow fury etc..

My personal belief is that the book should have focused on some different characters...personally im just tired of hawkeye, black widow fury etc..
    I don't know, they fit the tone of the book if it's going to be all espionage and stuff. And Natasha is one of my favourite characters in comics, if she's on the team then usually I'm happy. I liked the first marvel now volume with Mockingbird and stuff, it was stopped before it should have been unfortunately. But I think the first ever volume had some good variety with characters like Valkryie, War Machine and others.

BANNED

That as well. Hawkeye is a showoff, I like him in teams like the Avengers or the Thunderbolts, but not on a secret team. Ellis's MK is a perfect fit. We don't need anymore brawlers, but Marvel doesn't really have another good detective character. Embrace the Supernatural side of him and couple it with the detective aspect of his personality and bam! Add Mockingbird, War Machine (not Iron Patriot, War Machine), Hulk or Rulk, a couple more secret agents (Taskmaster, Natasha, Winter Soldier, Agent Venom) and Black Panther as the leader and here you go. Instant fave! If Richard returns, add him as well as the Cosmic support.

Yeah. I really didn't get the point of the relaunch after the second volume, because all it felt like they did was get rid of most of the characters who made it interesting. No Mockingbird, Taskmaster or Quake? And Hawkeye only really works on covert teams if Mockingbird's around, since the only reason he ever got involved with that stuff was because of her. Otherwise it's just a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Yeah. I really didn't get the point of the relaunch after the second volume, because all it felt like they did was get rid of most of the characters who made it interesting. No Mockingbird, Taskmaster or Quake? And Hawkeye only really works on covert teams if Mockingbird's around, since the only reason he ever got involved with that stuff was because of her. Otherwise it's just a bit weird.
    Well I could see him doing it with BM or Spiderwoman (well at the time with spiderwoman).

Since it is really a SHIELD book using Avengers maybe the new book does make this redundant.

Maybe Mockingbird, BW, Quake, and Spiderwoman can do some sort of birds of prey thing as agents of SHIELD.

BANNED

I approached the books because I read and appreciate Kot's Zero for Image and I have found the tone and direction of the book cool. I like the mix between serious plot and more lighthearted characters and voices.

BANNED

It might be too quirky for some but in my opinion the current run is great so if this approach sticks around for awhile, I'm good.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I like it personally, I like quirkiness.

Extraordinary Member

Its kinda lost its way, but its still good.

Yea I liked the 1st issue roster with moon knight, war machine, nova, cap, black widow, beast, valkyrie. They need a roster like that again with like B to C lister.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's very uniquely Ales Kot, but I think it's a kindred spirit to the Ellis run. I like the variety in tone and that it doesn't take itself deathly serious, like a Geoff Johns or Jon Hickman title along the same lines would. I would personally skew the cast more towards Shang Chi than Hawkeye, but I haven't had a problem with any of the characters yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post

I feel the same way, I really enjoyed Brubacker's run followed by Ellis' done in one issues, and I found Remender's to be good overall despite those subpar AvX tie in issues.

But since then, SA simply hasn't been for me. From the start of the second volume, tying it closer to the current SHIELD and giving it a much more comedic tone has been very jarring for my tastes plus I couldnt get into Spencer's tone. And about the current status I usually really enjoy Kot's writing, I love his Image book Zero; but SA just hasn't been my thing for a very long time now.

So yes, I'd very much welcome a shift back to the concept of the book when it launched; and a cast from those days would be a very nice plus.