Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, Tom King’s hated...goes and looks at the 2019 Eisner nominations.
    It's one thing to be hated by a large portion of the DC fanbase, but it's another to be liked by professionals inside the industry.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 04-26-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Incredible Member

Shifts units.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Dan Didio is DC's most hated writer. He's also an editor, but he's a writer too.
    Yes, fans think Dan DiDio is the Anti Christ (deservedly so..?), but outside from his Outsiders run, most people don't have a problem with his writing. He actually has a reputation by those willing to overlook his managerial mishaps as a writer who can oft be quite enjoyable. He wrote a great Metal Men backup in Wednesday Comics, His Manhunter one shot was quite excellent, his runs on Phantom Stranger and Omac are little known gems, and his Sideways was one of the most respected titles of the I'll fated New Age of Heroes line.

I'm not jesting when I say that DiDio as a comic book writer is better than about 60% of what DC is currently publishing.

I'd say Frank Miller is a lot more hated than King. James Robinson would also be a close second.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Ron Marz got no love during the HEAT days.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Bendis got a lot of hate, too, for his run on Avengers and then commandeering Guardians just in time to be on the comic when the movie hit.
    It got so bad that Defenders, an actually good series (because it played to his strengths), was snubbed by a lot of readers because it was Bendis.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I forgot about Dan Slott who someone mentioned. He probably is the one in the running for most hated this decade. He wrote Spider-man in a very similar way to how King writes his stories. Very antagonizing in their writing style to the fans and likes to prod them. Lot of shock value. Although King probably goes a step too far more often than Slott. That kind of style brings a lot of hate their way.

Retired

There have always been hated writers--at least since writers actually got credited in the comics and the readers knew who they were. Probably artists got more hate, because they were easier to identify. The expansion of electronic media has made it a lot easier for people to get together and attack a creator in unison--but fans got together and composed poison pen letters even when the means of communication was a spirit duplicator.

I'll always remember stopping by a comic shop one day and a gang of kids were drafting a letter to Marvel to complain about the new artist that had been put on their favourite super-hero. Their letter of complaint was attacking John Buscema who, in their collective wisdom, they had decided was a very poor artist. I had to restrain myself and bite my tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    It's one thing to be hated by a large portion of the DC fanbase, but it's another to be liked by professionals inside the industry.
    Except this is the same thing we see happen when a new creators goes from critically acclaimed low to medium tier books to the higher tier mainstream books that have a larger general audience pool. Let’s not confuse vocal sections of the internet as universal hate. It happened to Bendis, it happened to Johns, it happened to Snyder, and now it’s happening King. Quite frankly it’s almost a sign that he has made it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-26-2019 at 11:44 PM.

If you don't know that the answer to this question is "New52" Brian Azzarello, you better call somebody.

Oh, and lets not forget Cullen Bunn, because of him using a fantasy trope in a superhero comic.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Dan Didio?

I think that I heard his name here sometimes.. That the people is not really happy with his ideas(reboots?)..

Except this is the same thing we see happen when a new creators goes from critically acclaimed low to medium tier books to the higher tier mainstream books that have a larger general audience pool. Let’s not confuse vocal sections of the internet as universal hate. It happened to Bendis, it happened to Johns, it happened to Snyder, and now it’s happening King. Quite frankly it’s almost a sign that he has made it.
    As messed up as it is I agree with this. You haven’t really made it until you’ve gotten an A-List book and when you’re on said book you are guaranteed to make someone angry. It’s garbage that this is the state of the industry though.

I feel like people have a short term memory with King. Remember earlier on in King's Batman run when he had Holly, Catwoman's old friend, become a murder that killed hundreds of people and people got upset with that? Then there was that Talia orgy scene that ruffled people up. Then lets not forget that Future End's issue of Grayson where Dick killed someone and then seemingly died himself (unless you didn't understand the issue that is). That is his writing style. To poke readers and rile them up. This type of writing works best for smaller series, like we've seen on his Vision and Mister Miracle books, that can go under the radar, but in a BIG DC EVENT book this kind of style exponentially gets worse and the reactions are compounded like crazy.

Ya, Tom King’s hated...goes and looks at the 2019 Eisner nominations.
    The Eisner's are kind of a joke award, especially the nominations handed out imo. They basically are given to the creators the industry wants to promote. King has been the new creator darling and they have been pushing him quite a bit. Since it is better for the industry to have more big named writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Oh, and lets not forget Cullen Bunn, because of him using a fantasy trope in a superhero comic.
    Could you elaborate for me what this is referring to please?