Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Hated? I wouldn't go that far. He can bounce back. He found his niche with stories like Mister Miracle and Omega Men.

Can hate the work but there is no need to hate the writer.

Any fucknuggets who send death threats cause of things that happen in comic books are honestly just reprobates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirica View Post
    Could you elaborate for me what this is referring to please?
    The fantasy trope was something that was used in the tale of King Arthur, with Uther deceiving Igraine in order to sire Arthur.

In Aquaman, Siren disguised herself as Mera, most likely to get pregnant with Arthur's child as a plan of gaining the throne in the future.

Readers didn't like the use of the trope in a superhero comic, Bunn was forced to quit Aquaman and the story was dropped.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

I think a big problem with King is that he comes up with pretty "klick baity" concepts, that create a lot of hype beforehand, but later don't live up to it.

The worst example is probably the wedding issue, they hyped up the wedding about a year, and what we got in the end was an overlong issue full of pretty splash pages, with next to no plot and a cliff hanger, for something that might be now about 20 issues later finally start. With everyting in between being mostly aftermath of the wedding and a painfully slow build up coming story line.

DC has another controversial writer already in Brian Bendis. Yeah, the guy who had Iceman outed after decades of dating women. I remember reading death threats toward Marvel for killing Gwen Stacy so there was that.

Incredible Member

If you're hating people who write comic books, you probably need to re-evulate your life

The extreme hate I see for him concerning stories that are yet unfinished, because both HiC and the wedding storylines didn't end yet, makes no sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    The extreme hate I see for him concerning stories that are yet unfinished, because both HiC and the wedding storylines didn't end yet, makes no sense.
    Nah, sorry don't agree

You don't need to have eaten the dessert to know you didn't like the starter or main

Comics being written for a volume or trade, or as a limited might flip things at the end but if the journey isn't holding up how do you get there

Sure they might bring things around at the end but you have to make the journey worth it

An comics ain't free, 8 issues hoping it might go ok by nine, no thanks

I kept thinking that Mr miracle might turn it around and stayed with it, and imo the ending was trash

Of course opinions vary, but I don't think anyone needs to read all the issues to know if they are enjoying it

If that's what the industry hopes for, it's not a sustainable plan

Imo part of the problems floppies have nowadays is they are written in arcs over months often with too little payoff mid run, it's no mystery, each book needs some payoff or people gonna go

Other media provide faster alternatives these days

Imo it's no mystery floppies lose numbers

Sure this doesn't count for everyone, but I think a good number of readers ain't sticking around in case the last issue of a long monthly event pays off

Of course some love doing that too

But as an industry I think less and less

Extraordinary Member

I think in terms of the wedding story that he is still dragging it out is something that you can criticise.
    There was a lot of filler before the wedding, the wedding it self was basically a filler, and a lot of the stuff since then was also just filler.

I mean seriously King is not writing for trades, he is writing for omnibuses.

I myself think that some stories depend more on the ending than others. HiC, being a murder-mystery, is one of those that depend more. I think HiC is not bad but also not great. It's been good. The moments are good, but the story as a whole is not because the moments don't connect well with each other, the sum is worse than the separated parts. I'm enjoying, but reserving judgment. And yes, 8 issues, but the biggest problem people have only concerns to issue 7, which is Wally The Murderer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think in terms of the wedding story that he is still dragging it out is something that you can criticise.
    There was a lot of filler before the wedding, the wedding it self was basically a filler, and a lot of the stuff since then was also just filler.

I wonder how much of it is editorial. Perhaps they shouldn't have marketed the wedding so much. And another thing I disliked, Knightmares, may also have been editorial because I can't believe a good storyteller such as him would engage in 5+ issues filler dream sequence.
    Last edited by paulojrmam; 04-27-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I wonder how much of it is editorial. Perhaps they shouldn't have marketed the wedding so much. And another thing I disliked, Knightmares, may also have been editorial because I can't believe a good storyteller such as him would engage in 5+ issues filler dream sequence.
    Don't know if thats really the case, I'm pretty sure King said around the wedding that the next big thing would happen in issue #75.
    Knightmares is a extreme, but he has imo written before some issues that are purely filler, or stretched out stories unnecessarily. The story with "The Gentle Man" was imo at best a story for one issue, but he made two out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    . . . his runs on Phantom Stranger and Omac are little known gems . . .
    Say what?

The issues he did on the New52 Phantom Stranger are far from "gems" in my book, at least the ones he got sole credit for prior to J. M. DeMatteis coming on board with issue #4.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you don't know that the answer to this question is "New52" Brian Azzarello, you better call somebody.
    Again, totally subjective. The Azzarello/Chiang run was definitely divisive, but it was truly enjoyed by many as well as hated by some others.
    (Now when the Finches took over that series, that in my mind was the real travesty!)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I agree

Much of his batman feels like that to me

Some nice bits here and there aside

Astonishing Member

I myself think that some stories depend more on the ending than others. HiC, being a murder-mystery, is one of those that depend more. I think HiC is not bad but also not great. It's been good. The moments are good, but the story as a whole is not because the moments don't connect well with each other, the sum is worse than the separated parts. I'm enjoying, but reserving judgment. And yes, 8 issues, but the biggest problem people have only concerns to issue 7, which is Wally The Murderer.

You do realize the murder mystery for HiC is over, right? The last issue is an epilogue on the events and a wrap up. Mystery's over, we're just waiting on what Wally did in the interim. Not that literally anything he can do short of rewriting history is going to make up for this, and even if he rewrites history we still know he's a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    You do realize the murder mystery for HiC is over, right? The last issue is an epilogue on the events and a wrap up. Mystery's over, we're just waiting on what Wally did in the interim. Not that literally anything he can do short of rewriting history is going to make up for this, and even if he rewrites history we still know he's a monster.
    I don't know. I really think something's missing. I doubt anyone would write Wally covering a murderous accident while incriminating other people. There must be more to it. Mainly, I just can't believe DC and Tom King would do this.