Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellen Yindel

Default Ellen Yindel

Any fans of Ellen Yindel from THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS saga?

Has she ever made an appearance outside of DKR, DKR2, or DKR3?

Has she ever made it to main canon Batverse?

If so, when? If not, why not?

Personally, I'm kinda amazed that she hasn't become a bigger player in the Batverse by now.

Even if she isn't Jim Gordon's replacement as police commissioner, she could easily be an excellent foil for him (and Batman) while remaining a genuinely lawfully good character.

Is it DC's fear of a new Chuck Dixon/Bane royalty type agreement to Frank Miller that prevents her usage?

Anyone else like to see Ellen Yindel in the main Batman books?

She's fine in DKR and thats it for me. Same with Carrie Kelly. I don't want to see any more of Frank Miller put into mainstream Batman.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think she works well in the story she appears in, but I'm more of a fan of Ellen Yin .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think she works well in the story she appears in, but I'm more of a fan of Ellen Yin .
    Agreed. Ellen & Ethan were a great pair, until the Joker got to him.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    And then we got a pretty compelling Clayface saga out of it .

Precisely. Seeing him try to readjust to life was both inspirational and heartbreaking.

I think she could fit into the main canon as Gordon's replacement as the next commissioner but before that you could give her some stories/backstory like her being in the army alongside Kate Kane or working under Kate's father in the army to show her militant stance or maybe she could come from another heroes' city like Arrow or Black Lightning. As for her character I like her as a cop who acts like Batman, a bit of a foil: using force, doesn't trust anyone outside her team, using taxpayers money to start a war on crime.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 04-27-2019 at 03:39 PM.

She’s probably too similar to Maggie Sawyer

Precisely. Seeing him try to readjust to life was both inspirational and heartbreaking.
    Second this. I prefer seeing Yin over Yindel. Also Yin was voiced by Ming Na Wen so basically we got three seasons of Batman getting chased by and teaming up with Mulan/ Agent May.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Second this. I prefer seeing Yin over Yindel. Also Yin was voiced by Ming Na Wen so basically we got three seasons of Batman getting chased by and teaming up with Mulan/ Agent May.
    Wow! It's really nice seeing THE BATMAN get some love here! I thought I was the only one who liked that show!! As much as I love the Timmverse, I really do enjoy this series! I have to admit I was a little put off by the character designs at first, but it really grew on me. I also loved the action figures and managed to collect them all (even prototypes of some figures that didn't make it to retail).

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I liked her, though it feels odd that she looks so much like Babs in later life.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I liked her, though it feels odd that she looks so much like Babs in later life.
    Maybe shes really Barbara from Earth-3 lol

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I liked her in TDK, but bringing her into current comics raises two big issues.

I always thought she looked about 40 in TDK, so she'd be 10-20 now. There's no reason for her to appear at that age, unless she was going to be a side-kick or a story showing an origin for her anti-Batman stance (something I think TDK does perfectly well). With the character she has in TDK, she needs to interact with Batman as little as possible (preferably not at all).

Also, I don't take TDK as Batman's set future, so setting that up is a turn off for me. However, using a different version "now" seems a bit pointless as she'd be Yindell in name only.

Sometimes, it is better for something to be used once, then left alone. ***cough***TDK***cough***

PS, I'm joining in on The Batman love. Very underrated show. LOVED goth Riddler.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I liked her in TDK, but bringing her into current comics raises two big issues.

I always thought she looked about 40 in TDK, so she'd be 10-20 now. There's no reason for her to appear at that age, unless she was going to be a side-kick or a story showing an origin for her anti-Batman stance (something I think TDK does perfectly well). With the character she has in TDK, she needs to interact with Batman as little as possible (preferably not at all).

Also, I don't take TDK as Batman's set future, so setting that up is a turn off for me. However, using a different version "now" seems a bit pointless as she'd be Yindell in name only.

Sometimes, it is better for something to be used once, then left alone. ***cough***TDK***cough***

PS, I'm joining in on The Batman love. Very underrated show. LOVED goth Riddler.
    The Batman was fantastic. Wish they could've used Scarecrow and Two-Face.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The Batman was fantastic. Wish they could've used Scarecrow and Two-Face.
    As both this and the upcoming Batman Begins took place around Batman's early years, so I think there were restrictions. That theme by The Edge was sweet!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!