View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

    33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

    34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

    12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

    13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

    6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

    1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

    3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 383
  1. #316
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Avatar made a grand total of 34 million in its release.

    Titanic made 58.5 million it its two rereleases.

    Neither needed them for their massive totals.

    Titanic is especially impressive as it made its money during a time when tickets were only $5. Adjusted for inflation Titanic made 1.22 billion domestically. Avatar by the way made 877 million domestically after adjustment, a number that Endgame won't likely hit even with the rerelease.

    But whatever it takes for you to not acknowledge that Avatar and Titanic sold MORE tickets than Endgame.
    Titanic made $1.8 billion during its initial release in 1997 and 1998. It rose to $2.1billion with subsequent re-releases which include a 3-D release. Avatar made $2.74 billion in its initial release and Endgame is already at $2.74 billion. Point is, Endgame should have blown past both movies by the end of its initial theatrical run without the re-releases.

    And no, I'm not downplaying Avatar or Titanic. I've never done that.

    I understand your point but it doesn’t really matter. No one knows exactly how many tickets were sold for any movie (we can only do rough calculations) so it’s ultimately a moot point. Not to mention the entire dynamics of movie releases has changed completely over the last few years.

    In addition, Avatar was 3-D only in many territories around the world, so ultimately any calculation done around its tickets sales should take that into consideration.

    All that matters is the title “biggest movie ever” which Endgame will likely attain upon the re-release.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-20-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  2. #317
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    True, but now Marvel fans can never cry about it because they pulled the same stupid stunt

    It’s all fair to be honest.

    Endgame is already at $2.7 billion which is a mind numbing figure already. I’m pretty sure another movie will do the same thing in the future and blow past Endgame.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  3. #318
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s all fair to be honest.

    Endgame is already at $2.7 billion which is a mind numbing figure already. I’m pretty sure another movie will do the same thing in the future and blow past Endgame.
    The question is, will it require an extended universe buildup or just more special effects wizardry to sell it ?

  4. #319
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The question is, will it require an extended universe buildup or just more special effects wizardry to sell it ?
    Who knows? When movies gross this much, it generally comes out of the blue.

    I remember when Titanic was released in 1997 and no one ever thought the movie could break records the way it did. Most of it was doom and gloom until it caught on and folks simply fell in love with the movie (for whatever reason). Same with Avatar and even Star Wars (which actually did only $220 million in its initial release but grew into a monster on subsequent releases).

    All this being said, some movies (like Endgame and Jurassic Park) simply have that monster "heat" behind and look to hit it big. Maybe not biggest movie ever big but something big.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  5. #320
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    It gives you an idea of how many tickets were sold.

    For all their success Endgame and Avatar can't even compare to Gone With the Wind and the first Star Wars in getting people into the theater.
    Speaking of 1939 it is usually considered Hollywood's best year Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Of Mice and Men, Ninotchka, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Stagecoach, The Roaring Twenties, Dark Victory, Confessions of a Nazi Spy, Young Mr. Lincoln, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Wuthering Heights, The Women, Gunga Din, The Little Princess, Marx Brothers at the Circus, and Jesse James so it makes Gone with the Winds Box Office even more impressive. But also back then there was a belief because of no home television or home video that once a film left theaters it was gone if you were lucky it might get another release a few years down the line but that's it. Even Star Wars was still in theaters a year or two after release while modern films can be found online on opening weekend. Modern films have the benefit of higher ticket prices to add to totals but older films had their own benefits for higher ticket numbers.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-20-2019 at 06:17 AM.

  6. #321
    Mighty Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The question is, will it require an extended universe buildup or just more special effects wizardry to sell it ?
    A maybe bit of both. Avengers and Avatar were cultural phenoms, So was Black Panther. So was Game of Thrones. How much money would Game of Thrones final 3 episodes as movie made in Theaters(with satisfying ending)? It is not a exact science. Avatar spent 7 weeks at number 1, Avengers spent 3 weeks. Avengers made its money on the sheer following it built up over the years. Avatar made its money by being premium product that was a must see in the most expensive formats you could see it in. Avengers had a good enough bootleg the first day it was released. It make perfect sense for special effect wizdary to be a part of your gimmick. You couldn't/can't bootleg Avatar theater experience. We know Imax and 3D tickets are more expensive so if you are going to watch one movie in one of those formats it will be movie like Avatar.

    Avengers was a 3 hour movie,You want your movie to clock in around 2 hours, So it can play more. What is your competition? Dark Phoenix is bomb but if it was release on its Feb date,You can make argument for 3 weeks it would have been the best movie in the theater and probably done decent just like Battle Angel did. It is hard to see a movie dominating at box office for extended periods because they are little smarter about how they release movies. It wasn't a surprise when John Wick 3 knock avengers from 1. Weirdly if movie stays at 1 for awhile that creates the "hmmm this movie is so good I have go see it factor" and movie makes more money because of that buzz. There is the China factor Wandering earth made 700 million dollars worldwide and 691 million dollars in China, Aquaman basically made 300 million in China, It made 335 in US and Canada.

    The giant point is it is a lot of factors in play. You need a lot of things to line up. You don't know if first big superhero movie with predominantly Black cast is going to become a cultural event for Black people and wide generation of black people to see it a lot which greatly helps the regular big audience number that it was going to put up. Last(or first) of big proven franchise and huge well made spectacle movies do well but other than luck and smart planning.

  7. #322
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,953

    Default

    I only just noticed they were releasing an extended Endgame, but I cant resist saying I called it. I mean not the exact details but it seemed obvious that given a target Marvel would take aim at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Looking at the current figures I would imagine Marvel/Disney will have Avatar in their sights now, and will endeavour to tweak the number of discount matinee performances and all the other tricks of the trade to try and push the takings over that target worldwide. If they can squeeze another 75-80 million out of the domestic market I would imagine that would be enough to tip it. That would be at the very top of current estimates, but where there is a will.

    They could even re-release Infinity War for the last holiday weekend of the run and show them as a double feature in matinee theatres if it looks close.
    To be honest, it is still touch and go that it could reach the #1 worldwide spot anyway, without this. Also, it all depends on whether we count the 10.74 million that 'Avatar: Special Edition' took, which is a trivial amount really, but when your movie is only 44 million away from a record every 10 million counts. When the dust settles we will be able to compare each release separately and see which one has the crown without special editions, but that won't be the headline, and that isn't what the target is here.

  8. #323
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I only just noticed they were releasing an extended Endgame, but I cant resist saying I called it. I mean not the exact details but it seemed obvious that given a target Marvel would take aim at it.



    To be honest, it is still touch and go that it could reach the #1 worldwide spot anyway, without this. Also, it all depends on whether we count the 10.74 million that 'Avatar: Special Edition' took, which is a trivial amount really, but when your movie is only 44 million away from a record every 10 million counts. When the dust settles we will be able to compare each release separately and see which one has the crown without special editions, but that won't be the headline, and that isn't what the target is here.
    Quoted in agreement.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  9. #324
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    5,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I only just noticed they were releasing an extended Endgame, but I cant resist saying I called it. I mean not the exact details but it seemed obvious that given a target Marvel would take aim at it.



    To be honest, it is still touch and go that it could reach the #1 worldwide spot anyway, without this. Also, it all depends on whether we count the 10.74 million that 'Avatar: Special Edition' took, which is a trivial amount really, but when your movie is only 44 million away from a record every 10 million counts. When the dust settles we will be able to compare each release separately and see which one has the crown without special editions, but that won't be the headline, and that isn't what the target is here.
    Quoted in agreement.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  10. #325
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,416

    Default

    I got ripped to shreds here when I suggested that AVATAR got its extra money because it was "re-released" and I was schooled that it hadn't actually been re-released. So I'm going to stay out of the debate whether ENDGAME's new end credit gives it a "re-release"--since it's still in theatres and hasn't left.

  11. #326
    Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    7,170

    Default

    How about people don't go to theaters that much BECAUSE it's getting more and more expensive, and they have way more options than they had before?

    Naah, it' because older movies were just more popular. All of them. Sure.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

  12. #327
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,416

    Default

    End credits are like house ads in comics, there's no real ad revenue from them although they help to promote the upcoming issues. It would be profitable to give that ad space to other movies that aren't being put out by the same studio--rent the spot to other studios. So the end credits in Marvel movies would promote Universal, Paramount and Warner movies--and vice versa. Give Tom Cruise a scene at the end of a Marvel movie to promote the next Mission Impossible. Let Brie Larson do a walk-on for the WONDER WOMAN 1984 end credits to push the next Captain Marvel picture.

  13. #328
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got ripped to shreds here when I suggested that AVATAR got its extra money because it was "re-released" and I was schooled that it hadn't actually been re-released. So I'm going to stay out of the debate whether ENDGAME's new end credit gives it a "re-release"--since it's still in theatres and hasn't left.
    Well that’s just silly isn’t it. It was just that it only made 10.74 million in specific theatres. It is a matter of record.

  14. #329
    Extraordinary Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    8,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    How about people don't go to theaters that much BECAUSE it's getting more and more expensive, and they have way more options than they had before?

    Naah, it' because older movies were just more popular. All of them. Sure.

    Actually there’s a price War going on in the UK so many cinemas are very comparable to previous decades. Your country may vary.

  15. #330
    Fantastic Member TriggerWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I got ripped to shreds here when I suggested that AVATAR got its extra money because it was "re-released" and I was schooled that it hadn't actually been re-released. So I'm going to stay out of the debate whether ENDGAME's new end credit gives it a "re-release"--since it's still in theatres and hasn't left.
    Avatar only made 34 million worldwide in its re-release (or re-expansion if you rather since it happened at the end of its run much like will happen with Endgame here) which was a trivial number. What annoyed many was people acting like it was the only reason Avatar made so much when its number was puny.

    Turns out its a big number now since Endgame may well have finished within that 34 million of Avatar it it wasn't getting re-expanded like Avatar did. But at the time it seemed irrelevant and pouty for so many to use "rerelease" as the reason Avatar did so well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •