View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Endgame is now consistently losing badly to Infinity on a day to day domestic comparison at the same points of their run. The last few days its been 800,000 to 1,000,000 behind per day. Infinity only made 34 million more in the rest of its entire run so given current trends Endgame may only make 20-25 million more domestically. That would put it around 840 million domestic and would put it between 2.733 and 2.738 billion worldwide meaning it would need make 50 million worldwide to beat Avatar. If its falling off overseas the way it is stateside it may not make it but will be within 34 million which is what Avatar made in its brief re-expansion. Its going to funny watching many pout using it as an excuse if this happens while ignoring that Avatar's money was in 2009 dollars meaning that on a ticket to ticket basis Endgame is going to be well behind Avatar.

That said if it gets really close I can see Disney pulling some hijinks, like a special edition with some bonus content, to nudge Endgame past Avatar much like someone did to nudge Black Panther over 700 million when it had been stuck at 699 million for well over a month with no chance of closing the gap until suddenly on its last weekend of release it went from making $400 a day nationwide to making tens of thousands a day.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 06-03-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

Endgame definitely won't hit $3 billion but it might be able to crawl over Avatar's record (i think it's at $2.7bn).

I never thought I'd see a superhero movie become the highest grossing movie ever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Looking at the current figures I would imagine Marvel/Disney will have Avatar in their sights now, and will endeavour to tweak the number of discount matinee performances and all the other tricks of the trade to try and push the takings over that target worldwide. If they can squeeze another 75-80 million out of the domestic market I would imagine that would be enough to tip it. That would be at the very top of current estimates, but where there is a will.

They could even re-release Infinity War for the last holiday weekend of the run and show them as a double feature in matinee theatres if it looks close.
    I suspect something like this will happen.

The "biggest movie ever" tagline is something that Disney will probably go for at the end.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I never thought I'd see a superhero movie become the highest grossing movie ever.
    4 Avengers movies in the top 10 WW. Add in Black Panther to round out the tenth spot. Crazy.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’s still possible it could get a post Far from Home bump so that could make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Endgame is now consistently losing badly to Infinity on a day to day domestic comparison at the same points of their run. The last few days its been 800,000 to 1,000,000 behind per day. Infinity only made 34 million more in the rest of its entire run so given current trends Endgame may only make 20-25 million more domestically. That would put it around 840 million domestic and would put it between 2.733 and 2.738 billion worldwide meaning it would need make 50 million worldwide to beat Avatar. If its falling off overseas the way it is stateside it may not make it but will be within 34 million which is what Avatar made in its brief re-expansion. Its going to funny watching many pout using it as an excuse if this happens while ignoring that Avatar's money was in 2009 dollars meaning that on a ticket to ticket basis Endgame is going to be well behind Avatar.

That said if it gets really close I can see Disney pulling some hijinks, like a special edition with some bonus content, to nudge Endgame past Avatar much like someone did to nudge Black Panther over 700 million when it had been stuck at 699 million for well over a month with no chance of closing the gap until suddenly on its last weekend of release it went from making $400 a day nationwide to making tens of thousands a day.
    Ehh, I never really like comparing it to inflation. Inflation is just one variable of measurement. How do we account for the fact that Gone with the Wind came out in a time where theaters were the only real affordable entertainment option outside of the house? How do we account for the fact that Titanic wasn't competing with always online games like World of Warcraft or mobile games on the phone? What about people staying home to watch Netflix or HBO, both of whom hadn't hit their stride when Avatar released? If we can't accurately measure the effects of that and determine which film would've been a bigger hit all other things being equal, I say we just take the dollar amount. And Avatar had a re-release that added $34 million to its worldwide total.

My guess is if Avengers: Endgame can pass that total, Disney won't re-release it. If they can keep Avatar technically at #1, it makes it easier to sell Avatar 2. Meanwhile, they also have Endgame which is the number one movie of all time in a single run. So, Disney can play up that they have the two #1 movies of all time depending on which definition is applied. That, I think, will be plenty for them.

Of course, I'm not willing to count out Endgame quite yet. The truth is that Infinity War had a much easier release schedule, especially worldwide with Solo underperforming. It didn't compete with a Godzilla-like movie either domestically or internationally. Aladdin is over-performing and taking a lot of that family business. Detective Pikachu performed better against Endgame than I thought it would. John Wick Chapter 3 has vastly overperformed its predecessors. But, again, Ant-Man and the Wasp wasn't directly tied to Avengers: Infinity War in its marketing. But Spider-Man: Far From Home is explicitly marketing itself as a sequel to Avengers: Endgame. Given the weekend before Spider-Man: Far From Home has no big release, I can imagine Disney will expand the theater and screen count for Avengers: Endgame and that will also be met by re-watch demand for the movie prior to Far From Home. That will probably demonstrate an increase in Endgame's final domestic total.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Endgame came in at #6 this weekend. Its got a few more weeks left to run as we see. It should get a nice bump as people discussed come July for the holiday week. Right now its $74.9 million away from passing Avatar. So we shall see what happens.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Untitled.jpg

Hadn't checked out this chart in awhile. Impressive.

Incredible Member

It's now $60 Million away from beating Avatar

At the same point of release Infinity only made another 20 million domestically over the final 80 days of its run. Endgame hasn't beaten Infinity on a day to day comparison in nearly 20 days now so its likely that barring a Spidey boost that some of you think will happen that it will only get 12-15 million more best case scenario domestically. It still needs 55 million total to pass Avatar all time which is looking increasingly unlikely barring a re-release / special edition / gimmick near the end of its run much like Avatar did in what some call a re-release but I call re-expansion.

Barring the gimmick it looks like some us who like to watch the world burn will be pleased since Endgame is likely to finish behind Avatar but within 34 million which is how much Avatar made in its re-expansion. It'll be amusing to watch some claim that Endgame won while others will point that Avatar's money came at 2009 ticket prices which are behind todays.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

It seems silly but I really want Avengers to dethrone Avatar. Is it seeming like the only way would be a release of back-to-backs?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    It seems silly but I really want Avengers to dethrone Avatar. Is it seeming like the only way would be a release of back-to-backs?
    If it makes you feel any better, I think Avengers is going to outlast Avatar in terms of cultural relevance. I mean, for a movie that was a box office smash, well liked and all that, today it's become kind of a joke. Sequels could improve its reputation and bring it back, but I think the observation that the large reaction to the sequels actually coming online being along the lines of "what's the point?" says something.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I think Avengers is going to outlast Avatar in terms of cultural relevance. I mean, for a movie that was a box office smash, well liked and all that, today it's become kind of a joke. Sequels could improve its reputation and bring it back, but I think the observation that the large reaction to the sequels actually coming online being along the lines of "what's the point?" says something.
    This is an excellent point. Avatar is mostly mocked now whereas the Infinity Saga will always be spoken of highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    This is an excellent point. Avatar is mostly mocked now whereas the Infinity Saga will always be spoken of highly.
    Probably not forever.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

According to the worldwide total all-time , Avatar is only ahead by $45.5 million. Avengers after this week is close. But will Disney decide to expand it out again to try and take the crown ? Maybe add un-released footage to a new version possibly in a month to take the crown ? Because Disney has to be looking thinking ...we can have a Disney film be the all-time worldwide holder. Avatar is now owned by Disney but it was a Fox film as we all know a decade ago.

So the Disney suits have to be thinking , this is about fucking bragging rights here. We can brag were the top film all-time and we can get that. Were this close.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.