View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    What is astounding is this was the price Disney paid for Marvel back in 2009. The price folks for that purchase .... $4 billion dollars. Now here is the profits that the 21 films have done since that 2009 purchase. I left off the 1st Iron Man film and Hulk since those were done before the buyout.

$21+ billion
    Absolutely. It makes me reflect on the Kirby case, especially when the estate’s lawyer said “The case deals with a substantial amount of the key character franchises for which Disney paid Marvel $4.2 billion and which may now be worth twice that amount. This is like the mother of all copyright cases because of its implications."

Those implications turned out to be even greater than that just five years later. I do hope the undisclosed settlement was based off of future earnings. Plus the movie takings are not the whole story considering licences and brand value.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Absolutely. It makes me reflect on the Kirby case, especially when the estate’s lawyer said “The case deals with a substantial amount of the key character franchises for which Disney paid Marvel $4.2 billion and which may now be worth twice that amount. This is like the mother of all copyright cases because of its implications."

Those implications turned out to be even greater than that just five years later. I do hope the undisclosed settlement was based off of future earnings. Plus the movie takings are not the whole story considering licences and brand value.
    Its not , I don't have the figures on licenses etc. But its the same deal where Disney revealed they had paid off their Star Wars purchase already way earlier due to everything.

I fully expect them to announce in a few years they have paid off the Fox deal.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ha ha. Maybe I should have just not commented. Box Office Mojo have now updated again and now:

0BC38048-1372-4772-B788-785ED5D988BF.jpg

This is of course based on estimates for the weekend, but they are usually pretty good and often underestimated.

Congratulations Endgame. Finally Avatar has been toppled.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Genuinely surprised it happened this weekend. I said in my last post it was starting to look promising for Endgame but I thought it would take a few more weeks.

Now will they re-release Avatar before the sequels?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Genuinely surprised it happened this weekend. I said in my last post it was starting to look promising for Endgame but I thought it would take a few more weeks.

That would be counter productive. Cameron has already taken 10 years. Trying to regain the record might be just what is needed to finally get a sequel done.

I think it is clear that Avatar 2 needs the marketing tag line to be “the sequel to the biggest movie of all time” more than any MCU film needs it. Marvel movies are already the biggest movie events of any given year. They sell themselves without that marketing gimmick. I doubt anyone is really killing themselves to go see Avatar 2. Disney knows which brand needs help. And Avatar will get yet another re-release so they can use that tag line.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think a genuine rerelease would be counterproductive. There would always be the footnote (released three times) compared to Endgame technically only being released once. The added extras were just a marketing exercise and not a rerelease because the movie wasn’t a new cut.

Besides, there are those of us that will never give Avatar money because it’s just an unreconstructed colonial narrative that makes no real attempt to bring independent agency to the oppressed or less industrialised culture portrayed in the story. It’s basically a retelling of a particularly cynical story told for decades that makes colonialism feel righteous. See the equally terrible Last Samurai for another modern example that goes even further by lying about history.

Hence my investment in this or frankly any movie beating it as the biggest movie of all time.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-22-2019 at 12:36 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The last re-release of Avatar was in 2010. That was a year later and it added 9-10+ minutes to the film from what I read. That earned the film an additional $33+ million. It sorta died domestically here and only did $10+ million. It cost $9+ million to add those minutes back to the film and re-release it.

Disney will have to see if there is a demand for the re-release and costs to roll it back out to see what happens I guess.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.