View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

7.3 million to go

For the last week its been running similar to Force Awakens on a daily basis at the same point of release. Force Awakens made about 7 million more domestically. So if it can continue this pace it might just make it. Depends on how many screens its left on domestically and if it can eke a bit more out internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    For the last week its been running similar to Force Awakens on a daily basis at the same point of release. Force Awakens made about 7 million more domestically. So if it can continue this pace it might just make it. Depends on how many screens its left on domestically and if it can eke a bit more out internationally.
    If by similar you mean significantly better then yes. Like I suggested, it is going to come down to how many cinemas it plays to over the next couple of weeks. If it holds at more than a thousand (currently 1443) it will undoubtedly pass the winning post by the time it closes.

By the time we are making ‘12th weekend’ comparisons we are mostly into guesswork. I mean even Spiderverse (64th) had a better weekend than both Endgame (68) and Force Awakens (81) it all depends what cinemas promote and what else is playing, as well as intangibles like weather and sport.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-16-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ultimate Member

The Endgame re-release is still getting a slow worldwide release.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The Endgame re-release is still getting a slow worldwide release.
    Are you sure about this? As far as I can work out, here in the UK the ‘rerelease’ had a tiny footprint. We don’t really have a culture of discount cinema either, so while it is possible to still see it in the UK you would have to search it out and travel. Even in the few and far between screens where it’s available it’s only showing once per day. I can’t imagine many other territories being different. I don’t expect significant takings from anywhere other than the US.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-16-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Even at a rate of 50% week-over-week domestic decline (which is higher than the last number of weeks, but I digress), Avengers: Endgame will make another $3,790,740 by the time it closes (roughly the same time as Infinity War). Given where it stands currently, Avengers: Endgame would only need an additional $2.2 million internationally. Given it still has a few more international markets to re-expand in, like a few countries in Central and South America, I can see it realistically getting past Avatar...and then some. But it’ll be close. Like—within a re-release Avatar could easily be back on top. And I think Disney would do a re-release so they can market Avatar 2 as the sequel to the biggest movie of all time.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The updated numbers are now in...Avengers : Endgame is now 5.8+ million away from passing Avatar. Its slowly moving towards it. This weekend will be interesting to see how it does and how much closer it gets.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If by similar you mean significantly better then yes. Like I suggested, it is going to come down to how many cinemas it plays to over the next couple of weeks. If it holds at more than a thousand (currently 1443) it will undoubtedly pass the winning post by the time it closes.

By the time we are making ‘12th weekend’ comparisons we are mostly into guesswork. I mean even Spiderverse (64th) had a better weekend than both Endgame (68) and Force Awakens (81) it all depends what cinemas promote and what else is playing, as well as intangibles like weather and sport.
    At the time I posted that Endgame had only beaten Force Awakens 2 of 3 days prior (weekend comparison) and not by much (grand total of about 230,000 dollars combined between the two days it beat Force Awakens). So you have a curious definition of significantly. The last three days its done about 500,000 more than Force Awakens did on its same 3 days so it is holding better on a weekday comparison.

So it does look promising for Endgame using Force Awakens as a comparison. The big issue is going to be screen. Force Awakens played during the winter without a lot of tentpole competition to take away screens and push it out of the theater. Endgame on the other hand gets Lion King which is going to open on a MASSIVE 4750 screens followed in the next two weeks by Once Upon a Time in America and Hobbs and Shaw. If Endgame gets pushed out of theaters because of them it might not quite eke over the line.

Ultimate Member

Endgame should have passed Avatar by the end of this weekend.

So it’s mission accomplished for Disney.

Its over , Endgame now has the all-time record and Disney has popped the corks to celebrate it. On Sunday it will pass Avatar. Disney praised Cameron and his film series (if it happens) but was happy to have the record .

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...wOnvPxbTAhCIX4
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its over , Endgame now has the all-time record and Disney has popped the corks to celebrate it. On Sunday it will pass Avatar. Disney praised Cameron and his film series (if it happens) but was happy to have the record .

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

With respect to NBC their figures are somewhat weird. I think we will need to wait longer than a couple of days for the real celebration. It’s actually still quite close, even though it looks likely.

I would like to know what they are basing their numbers on because nobody else is suggesting its gross is that high.

A bit of research suggests that Feige said it and there may have been a press release or clarification to Hollywood Reporter by Disney Studios Alan Horn. Hollywood Reporter said this:

At the end of last weekend, Endgame trailed Avatar by $7 million, at least on paper. In recent days, however, Disney found additional money when reconciling the movie's final global earnings, a process that occurs at the end of any film's run. That's in addition to $2 million or more from weekday ticket sales.

So, again we may need to await this being reflected in official figures. Especially odd here is that the movie is not at “the end of [its] run” but perhaps this is related to those territories where it has ended and the final tallies have been reported. Plus, an additional 2Million still doesn’t take it over the finish line combined with the expectations for this weekend. Even Hollywood Reporter then goes on to report the actual lower figures at the end of its report, facts that none of the following news coverage seems interested in.

This feels like a bit of early hype for the final result as part of the hype machine that is SDCC rather than confirmation of said result.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Retired

It also spoils the fun for us proles who like to check Box Office Mojo on a Sunday morning each week to see what the estimates will be. Those rich folk can't let us poor folk enjoy our small delights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It also spoils the fun for us proles who like to check Box Office Mojo on a Sunday morning each week to see what the estimates will be. Those rich folk can't let us poor folk enjoy our small delights.
    Yes there is that to it also. The bean counters with the actual facts have kind of spoilt the surprise when an extra 2Mil gets added to the international side of the equation.

Knowing how fandom works some would have said it was creative accounting to make Endgame look more successful than it really was, and wouldn’t have listened to the facts if they were explained afterwards. I fully expect this to happen anyway.

P.S. Talking of watching the Box Office Mojo figures, they have just been updated to reflect this, so maybe I was wrong that we would have to wait more than a couple of days! The line might be crossed by Mon or Tue (reflecting Sun figures)

C5924A7A-0106-4EF6-A490-EB97BD51965B.jpg
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-21-2019 at 08:05 AM.

I had wondered if Disney would buy into the hype for Endgame to get the record weeks before re-release (you can check the thread I posted in early June it could happen). So it seemed like they seriously wanted this record to own. As much as they own Avatar now ; that film is a 21st Century Fox release. While they praised the film in a column and James Cameron ; they had to clearly want this mark for themselves.

What is astounding is this was the price Disney paid for Marvel back in 2009. The price folks for that purchase .... $4 billion dollars. Now here is the profits that the 21 films have done since that 2009 purchase. I left off the 1st Iron Man film and Hulk since those were done before the buyout.

$21+ billion dollars.

In terms of the greatest purchases in history ; Disney will likely be looking at this one as perhaps the greatest acquisition in their company history. They also have nearly paid off the Star Wars deal they done a few years earlier. The Fox deal will likely take them a longer time to do ; perhaps a decade. But given the track record Disney seems to know what they are doing.