View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    Retired

I doubt that Disney really cared that much about ENDGAME breaking AVATAR's record, until they saw that it was something that fandom cared about. Otherwise, they would have had a bigger surprise for the expansion release. They just saw that it had become an obsession for some people, so that presented the opportunity to make more money by feeding that hunger with a few added end credits and expanding to more theatres again. Can't argue with commercial enterprises trying to make more profit--that's what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Now to be serious , as pointed out Avatar already had a re-release back in 2013 with added footage etc to increase its box office worldwide. It originally had $2.749+ Billion before the re-release pushed it past that. Had Avengers not did a re-release it originally would have passed Avatar's total with $2.750+ billion. Disney just wants the mark basically since Avengers is their key franchise as we see.
    And now if you account for inflation Avatar is at about $3,273,000,000. It was never really a close competition, Avatar was just the bigger movie and considering it was just a stand alone film that makes its score all the more impressive. You can try to say "Well actually..." but as they are ranked now, Avatar is winning.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    And now if you account for inflation Avatar is at about $3,273,000,000. It was never really a close competition, Avatar was just the bigger movie and considering it was just a stand alone film that makes its score all the more impressive. You can try to say "Well actually..." but as they are ranked now, Avatar is winning.
    Except that Endgame is part of a far more successful franchise and will probably last the test of time better.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Except that Endgame is part of a far more successful franchise and will probably last the test of time better.
    This is silly nerd masturbation. Avatar changed the way blockbusters do business and they are about to franchise the hell out of it. Disney doesn’t care which franchise has which record and nothing they own will be remembered any more than their classic stuff

It’s nerd argument to see Endgame more as a trail blazer of any kind. Endgame is a juvenile film, The Terminator 2 will stand the test of time better as a time travel dystopian film. Anyone could have done Endgame. Unlike MCU that plans out things, If DC had planned out things and was on the 4th justice league movie by now with Flashpoint, it would have been a better time travel dystopian movie to Endgame. The animated movie already is. Only James Cameron could have done Avatar.

Neither Endgame nor Avatar are the best films in their series or director’s films, but Avatar changed cinema like most of James Cameron movies. He has built his career on changing cinema. If any Avengers film will stand the test of time, it’s the 2012 Joss Whedon Avengers film, it’s still the best Avengers movie to date.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    No one is taking inflation into consideration here. Given that even Box Office Mojo and others point to the $2.877+ billion mark for Avatar. If Disney passes it who knows. Right now they are $22.2 million behind it. If it crosses that mark who knows really. I'm not gonna discuss which film is gonna impact culture years from now. Because its fucking silly to do for both. 1 is about super-heroes and the other is about creatures on an alien world.

In terms of franchise...well Avatar has a lot to live up to. The franchise plan for it has been doormat as Cameron claimed numerous sequels would happen. Its going past a decade and nothing has happened even with Disney claiming they will now happen. Meanwhile the Marvel film franchise of films has done this.

23 Marvel Films : $21.5+ billion

Disney likely will push Cameron to get this planned franchise off the ground. But its been a decade plus since the 1st one came out.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Hmmm. Well Marvel pulled a fast one there. Technically the added material will not actually count as a different version because everything is just pre movie and post credit “extras”. It is technically a good excuse to open it in as many theatres as they can in order to push it over the line. I did say they would try and do this once they saw there were headlines to be made and records to be broken. It really is touching distance now. I can’t see it failing to beat Avatar. That makes me happier than it probably should.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

The last two days Endgame is back to doing similar numbers to what Infinity did at the end of its run albeit a few hundred thousand day better. Barring a Spidey boost, Endgame is settling back to where it was before. Infinity only made 5.5 million more over the last 80 days of its run. So lets give Endgame the same - right now its running slightly better than Infinity but until the rerelease it had run worse every day for over a month so it wouldn't be shocking to see it settle back into that pattern. There is no re-release in most of the world so profits there will be negligible.

It currently need 22 million to pass Avatar. Barring a HUGE Spidey boost its not going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    This is silly nerd masturbation.
    I don't think so. Avatar does have a reputation of being a joke these days and so far, it's proven to have been a flash in the pan that never really went much of anywhere (over a decade between it and the sequel and that's still kinda in flux). Much like Captain Marvel, the MCU doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

Avatar changed the way blockbusters do business...
    Like how the MCU created the cinematic universe craze? My memory fails me, but what was Avatar's game-changer? I know it popularized 3-D again for a stretch, but it seems like that and the special effects were the main noteworthy things about it. Don't remember it being a game changer in how blockbusters are made, like, say the original Star Wars movie back in '77 helped shape Hollywood into what it is today.

...and they are about to franchise the hell out of it.
    True, some of Cameron's sequels have been given the okay -- although only 2 or 3 (?) are, with the rest dependent on the first ones being successes to be made -- and it's my understanding that even those have been a little iffy. I do think that if the sequels are a success, it probably would raise the franchise's reputation, but that remains to be seen. I mean, it seems like the reaction to them as been, at best, "meh" and it has been a long time since the original was made. It's not a done deal that Avatar will have a successful revival.

Disney doesn’t care which franchise has which record...
    Probably true as far as bragging rights are concerned, although I'm sure they'd like if newer movies break box office records of older ones, since it means more money in their coffers.

...and nothing they own will be remembered any more than their classic stuff
    Considering how well their classic stuff is remembered, they would do pretty well if other stuff matched that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Box Office Mojo predicted a 4.5 million domestic weekend. It made just over a million on Friday so I'm not thinking its going to end in the 3.5 to 4.0 million range. The Spidey boost is going to be minimal if any. After the weekend it will still be 15 million shy of Avatar. It only made 2 million internationally last weekend so that won't be of much help.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Box Office Mojo predicted a 4.5 million domestic weekend. It made just over a million on Friday so I'm not thinking its going to end in the 3.5 to 4.0 million range. The Spidey boost is going to be minimal if any. After the weekend it will still be 15 million shy of Avatar. It only made 2 million internationally last weekend so that won't be of much help.
    My understanding was that Avengers: Endgame had a ridiculously slow rollout internationally. It’ll get the re-expansion in August in some markets. I wouldn’t count out international numbers just yet. Of course, it is questionable whether or not extras that made it onto the DVD release will be enough to bring people back. Still, re-expanding it to theaters will get more butts in the seats. $15 million is pretty small. It might just barely make it.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    My understanding was that Avengers: Endgame had a ridiculously slow rollout internationally. It’ll get the re-expansion in August in some markets. I wouldn’t count out international numbers just yet. Of course, it is questionable whether or not extras that made it onto the DVD release will be enough to bring people back. Still, re-expanding it to theaters will get more butts in the seats. $15 million is pretty small. It might just barely make it.
    It also will likely run domestically til July here and slowly be reduced back to where it once was. I mean right now it could finish 7th-9th for the weekend which isn't bad for a 3+ hour film getting a re-release that already has done pretty huge domestically thus far. No idea how much more it will do. But yeah Disney gave it a shot , we will know how things fare by August.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    It also will likely run domestically til July here and slowly be reduced back to where it once was. I mean right now it could finish 7th-9th for the weekend which isn't bad for a 3+ hour film getting a re-release that already has done pretty huge domestically thus far. No idea how much more it will do. But yeah Disney gave it a shot , we will know how things fare by August.
    Avengers: Infinity War ran until September. I have feeling this one will too. Though, by the time it hits mid-August, the weekend numbers are well below a million each one. Still, it will be gaining money for a while still.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Avengers: Infinity War ran until September. I have feeling this one will too. Though, by the time it hits mid-August, the weekend numbers are well below a million each one. Still, it will be gaining money for a while still.
    Absolutely. Indeed now we are into the ‘Endgame’ of the box-office takings, and by the end of this weekend 8-9 Million to go they are bound to keep it ticking over. Clearly the way Spider-Man has intrinsic links as an epilogue will also serve as marketing. Both a reminder and a prompt.

We should watch the number of theatres showing it closely from now on, because presently that figure is closer to Force Awakens than Infinity War. Yes that is anomalous and based on extras, but how long will that keep numbers higher?

No doubt the percentage take for the theatres will be much higher now, encouraging the theatres themselves to get people in, but just how many theatres will be interesting. We are into the discount period for the movie so it will tick over slowly but it will do that for a while yet. At least 10 weeks.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-07-2019 at 03:32 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Today is day 73 of its run. Domestically Infinity only made a grand total of 3.6 million from day 74 to day 130 which was its final day of its release. Prior to the re-release Endgame had actually lost on a day to day comparison to Infinity for over a month. It was actually even losing badly to the first Avengers movie on a day to day comparison. Endgame was super front loaded and then fell harder than the others did. Its done significantly better than Infinity since the re-release but will that hold or will it return to pre-release type of numbers now that the holiday weekend is past. Force Awakens, another good comparison movie since its the only movie to do better than Endgame domestically, made nine million more from this point to the end of its run. It needs 15.5 million to pass Avatar. So even if you are super optimistic and think it can pull Force Awakens type numbers its still unlikely to get enough worldwide since there won't be a re-release in some countries including China.

Chart where you can see these numbers: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdo...svstarwars.htm