View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    This is an excellent point. Avatar is mostly mocked now whereas the Infinity Saga will always be spoken of highly.
    I'm pretty sure that at this point after Avatar's release there was high confidence it would always be thought of highly as well. The Future is a tricky thing to see. This generations kids will define their own tastes, and those may include viewing critically the visually specular, yet narratively weak, movies that we have been gobbling up for the last generation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Probably not forever.
    You are almost certainly wrong. Given your posting about X-men and the MCU it's likely this is more your personal bias speaking.

You are almost certainly wrong. Given your posting about X-men and the MCU it's likely this is more your personal bias speaking.
    What are you even talking about? you know nothing about me just because I don't think endgame was the best thing ever it was ok not great and stuff like DP was pretty good dosint mean I don't like the MCU All I'm saying is very few movies hold up forever 10 years from now people may have a different opinion on it things change.
    Last edited by choptop; 06-16-2019 at 01:46 PM.

forever is forever. I wouldn't bank on an absolute especially the way cinema has evolved over the decades
    The J-man

BANNED

I hated Avatar. I knew I hated it about an hour into it. I hate it to this day and will never see it again.

However, there are some things I admit about it.

- The visuals were stunning, and in general nothing like it has been seen in movies to this date. One or two perhaps, but mostly not. The visuals were stunningly effective.
    - The story was substantive and for the most part well thought out and scripted. It's not a story I enjoyed even slightly, but in terms of just effectively putting words on the page, it's much better crafted than anything we've seen from Marvel Studios or DC adaptations.

It's entirely possible that the next generation will put a higher premium on things that Infinity War and Endgame are not strong in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    forever is forever. I wouldn't bank on an absolute especially the way cinema has evolved over the decades
    Movies have mostly been able to be viewed within their context. Plenty of classic movies are still classics despite many flaws they may have. I see the Infinity Saga being seen much the same way with Endgame as it's climax.

That may be one thing different, I don't think Endgame will ever be judged solely on itself but only in the broader context of the Saga. I feel confident saying that enough people have a positive view of it, much like Star Wars or Star Trek or other films in a series, that the overall quality will override any individual concerns. That makes it a tad more bulletproof IMO.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

This is an excellent point. Avatar is mostly mocked now whereas the Infinity Saga will always be spoken of highly.
    Yeah I doubt that, once the dust has settled more and more people like with TDKR will probably realise how sloppily and stupidly written these films are especially Endgame.

Still can't get over some of the dumbness of Endgame, like I thought nothing would top TDKR in this regard but Endgame comes close for me.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

The counterpoint I can see is to that is if the sequels will "redeem" the original in some way or be good enough to give the Avatar franchise more staying power. We won't know that until they release, so, while I'm not holding my breath that they'll make more of a splash then the original, it will be interesting to see what kind of reception they get, considering the reputation of the original and the extended delay of time between the first one and the rest of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Probably not forever.
    Sure, but it's a good guess right now that Endgame will outlast Avatar in terms of staying power or at least as something that will continue to be watched for a few generations, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I hated Avatar. I knew I hated it about an hour into it. I hate it to this day and will never see it again.

However, there are some things I admit about it.

- The visuals were stunning, and in general nothing like it has been seen in movies to this date. One or two perhaps, but mostly not. The visuals were stunningly effective.
    - The story was substantive and for the most part well thought out and scripted. It's not a story I enjoyed even slightly, but in terms of just effectively putting words on the page, it's much better crafted than anything we've seen from Marvel Studios or DC adaptations.

It's entirely possible that the next generation will put a higher premium on things that Infinity War and Endgame are not strong in.
    I'll be honest, I found the movie's visuals to be high quality, but I never understood the hype about it. We see this kind of thing all the time. Story-wise, I will give it props for world-building, but it's a pretty cookie-cutter tale and that's its downfall. I think the most of the MCU movies have done better on both counts, but mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    According to the worldwide total all-time , Avatar is only ahead by $45.5 million. Avengers after this week is close. But will Disney decide to expand it out again to try and take the crown ? Maybe add un-released footage to a new version possibly in a month to take the crown ? Because Disney has to be looking thinking ...we can have a Disney film be the all-time worldwide holder. Avatar is now owned by Disney but it was a Fox film as we all know a decade ago.

So the Disney suits have to be thinking , this is about fucking bragging rights here. We can brag were the top film all-time and we can get that. Were this close.
    Disney doesn't care lol. They have a massive section of one of their themes parks dedicated to Avatar (seriously it's one of the most popular attractions at Disney World and the main ride has like a 2 hour wait). It's no different than Star Wars for them. They own it, they get bragging rights anyways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The counterpoint I can see is to that is if the sequels will "redeem" the original in some way or be good enough to give the Avatar franchise more staying power. We won't know that until they release, so, while I'm not holding my breath that they'll make more of a splash then the original, it will be interesting to see what kind of reception they get, considering the reputation of the original and the extended delay of time between the first one and the rest of the series.

Sure, but it's a good guess right now that Endgame will outlast Avatar in terms of staying power or at least as something that will continue to be watched for a few generations, at least.

I'll be honest, I found the movie's visuals to be high quality, but I never understood the hype about it. We see this kind of thing all the time. Story-wise, I will give it props for world-building, but it's a pretty cookie-cutter tale and that's its downfall. I think the most of the MCU movies have done better on both counts, but mileage may vary.
    It's odd why they waited so long to start releasing sequels for Avatar, people have long stopped caring about the original film and they haven't bothered to develop any kind of extended universe or cultivate any sort of hardcore fandom. This is really what the MCU does so well, they just bombard you with so many films in a short span of time that it never leaves public view, so even if you don't have much interest in superheroes it's always floating around on various fan sites. None of Marvel's films are particularly groundbreaking or memorable on their own, but taken collectively they are an absolute commercial juggernaut. It really is a triumph of marketing and promotion more so than filmmaking as such, but this is the society that we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It's odd why they waited so long to start releasing sequels for Avatar, people have long stopped caring about the original film and they haven't bothered to develop any kind of extended universe or cultivate any sort of hardcore fandom. This is really what the MCU does so well, they just bombard you with so many films in a short span of time that it never leaves public view, so even if you don't have much interest in superheroes it's always floating around on various fan sites. None of Marvel's films are particularly groundbreaking or memorable on their own, but taken collectively they are an absolute commercial juggernaut. It really is a triumph of marketing and promotion more so than filmmaking as such, but this is the society that we live in.
    The original Avatar did have a tie-in video game with an original story and a in-universe solider's handbook, if I recall correctly. Maybe they should've done more, but it's pretty hard to create original content for a franchise when the future films are still in flux; you'd probably get a Star Wars situation where a good chunk of it would be overwritten by new films and whatnot.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just seen they’re re-releasing with new content. They’re making the push and they’re going to get it.

Astonishing Member

This was a no brainer. Its good for fans who wanted more and its good for them to have the biggest movie ever bragging rights.

Win win imo.

Endgame's back on the menu, boys!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just seen they’re re-releasing with new content. They’re making the push and they’re going to get it.
    Good.

This is fair because Avatar and Titanic reached their current levels due to re-releases.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.