View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WILL ENDGAME MAKE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • WORLDWIDE: $3 billion or more

33 43.42%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.50-$2.99 billion

34 44.74%
  • WORLDWIDE: $2.0-$2.49 billion

12 15.79%
  • DOMESTIC: $900 million to $1 billion+

13 17.11%
  • DOMESTIC: $800 million to $899 million

6 7.89%
  • DOMESTIC: $750 million to $799 million

1 1.32%
  • DOMESTIC: $700 million to $749 million

3 3.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Yes, please. Take down that overrated pos.
    I like endgame and all but it's allmost as overrated.

EVERY movie/tv show/book is either overrated or underrated. These terms are meaningless.

Anyway, $2.18 Bn. in just 1.5 weeks. Someone make an 'Avengers snapping box office' meme.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    EVERY movie/tv show/book is either overrated or underrated. These terms are meaningless..
    Not really not everything but there really are things that are overrated or underrated now what those things are is opinion and agree or disagree a persons opinion is never meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Not really not everything but there really are things that are overrated or underrated now what those things are is opinion and agree or disagree a persons opinion is never meaningless.
    How can some things be actually overrated and others not when like you said it's just personal opinion? Means things can only be overrated to the individual. And like spiderclops said most movies are one or the other to most people.

I think overrated only applies to movies that don't age well. Avatar for example not that the technical stuff is old hat and its judged strictly on the story, you hear way more people who are critical of the movie then at the time it came out. Endgames most talked about scenes arent the huge CGI set pieces it's the emotional beats with the characters. So it could depreciate with time but it's not close to a given. Ironman is they're first movie and alot would argue still one of the best. So I don't know if I'd agree with these movies not aging well. It's all opinion though

Honestly this movie is getting so much love I dont even have a problem with people saying its overrated. Basically anyone who has any major gripes and I'm sure alot do would probaly feel its overrated because there no real negative talk in the public.

So I say it's fair to call it overrated but iono how being overrated can be subject to personal opinion. Then also some movies are actually overrated. What makes something actually overrated? What metric?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Art has no objective merit. If it doesn't have any objective merit, then how can you say it's overrated/underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    How can some things be actually overrated and others not when like you said it's just personal opinion? Means things can only be overrated to the individual. And like spiderclops said most movies are one or the other to most people.

I think overrated only applies to movies that don't age well. Avatar for example not that the technical stuff is old hat and its judged strictly on the story, you hear way more people who are critical of the movie then at the time it came out. Endgames most talked about scenes arent the huge CGI set pieces it's the emotional beats with the characters. So it could depreciate with time but it's not close to a given. Ironman is they're first movie and alot would argue still one of the best. So I don't know if I'd agree with these movies not aging well. It's all opinion though

Honestly this movie is getting so much love I dont even have a problem with people saying its overrated. Basically anyone who has any major gripes and I'm sure alot do would probaly feel its overrated because there no real negative talk in the public.

So I say it's fair to call it overrated but iono how being overrated can be subject to personal opinion. Then also some movies are actually overrated. What makes something actually overrated? What metric?
    Sticking to personal opinions, I have always found Avatar’s popularity baffling. It was as if briefly the world believed the 3D hype and all went to see a movie with a hackneyed plot seen dozens of times before. An unreconstructed colonial movie thinly disguised as a sci-fi fantasy that by rights should have been rejected at script stage. I get it. The effects were good (presumably they looked better in the cinema but I was never going to spend money on it so waited until it came to TV.) How this adds up to it being the biggest unadjusted movie ever is truly depressing IMO.

However, Endgame is almost certainly about to surpass it now in the international box office. At least its popularity makes sense to me, but there must be loads of people not invested in the MCU equally as baffled as I was over Avatar.

If Avatar is overrated how come the feat isn't easily replicated? Why doesn't Warner,Universal,Disney or Sony just make a good movie with a good plot and make sure that 3D is good. Then just kill in the box office because most of tickets people are buying are 3D tickets which are more expensive.Cinematography/Visuals are merit worthy and James Cameron went " What if I made a movie with the most amazing visuals that take full advantage of the fact that movie theaters have big screens and 3D".Avatar is arguably one of best looking movies ever and one of the best movie theater experiences ever. Avatar deserves it success. Is the story a generic Dances of Wolf or Fern Gully? Probably. But that is good enough for once or twice you go the theaters to watch it and you are full immersed in the world. Avatar is probably the one movie where watching at home on highest quality tv (they had then) doesn't come close to watching it in a theater. I am not saying Avatar is not without its flaws but they are tons of sci fi that don't make the effort to develop their world like Avatar did and they are tons of movie that don't take advantage of the big screen,3D or surround sound in a theater. It is just funny to hear people about Avatar without the proper context imo like Visual immersion doesn't mean anything.

I am happy that Avengers is being rewarded for making 22 solid/good movies because quite honestly Endgame isn't "great movie" without the context of other movies , I am happy Avatar was rewarded for understanding theater experience and maxing out the potential. Both are two good movies but if you are on grading for plot,story and acting well you can find better. BUT Avengers Endgame is great because it is culmination connectivity in movie genre.If you are telling a person to watch one of a Marvel movie Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Infinity War or some Black Panther is better movies. Context matters people seem to forget how good watching Avatar the first time(and second time) ever was and your experience matters.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-06-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sticking to personal opinions, I have always found Avatar’s popularity baffling. It was as if briefly the world believed the 3D hype and all went to see a movie with a hackneyed plot seen dozens of times before. An unreconstructed colonial movie thinly disguised as a sci-fi fantasy that by rights should have been rejected at script stage. I get it. The effects were good (presumably they looked better in the cinema but I was never going to spend money on it so waited until it came to TV.) How this adds up to it being the biggest unadjusted movie ever is truly depressing IMO.

However, Endgame is almost certainly about to surpass it now in the international box office. At least its popularity makes sense to me, but there must be loads of people not invested in the MCU equally as baffled as I was over Avatar.
    Honestly if you didn't watch Avatar in 3D you have never seen Avatar. And it makes sense why you don't get its popularity
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-06-2019 at 01:32 AM.

BANNED

Avatar was really marketed more as a cinematic experience than just a normal movie, and while we all sort of knew that 3D was just an old technology that they were repackaging as something new, the effects were certainly quite spectacular, especially since the movie was shot in 3D rather than just being lazy converted in post-production like most others. Also, the fact that you could watch the movie in 3D and IMAX also gave theaters the justification to charge a lot more for tickets, and as this was the first movie to really take advantage of this, the audience hadn't yet gotten cynical about 3D upselling and were more than willing to shell out the extra cash.

Also, Avatar seems a lot more bland in hindsight because unlike similar "spectacle" movies they never bothered to develop any kind of extended universe for fans to get invested in, so all we are left to look back on is the movie itself and its cookie cutter plot. But if Star Wars didn't have any novels, comics, games, or toys to buy and all of the random aliens were just extras in cheap masks rather than fully fleshed out characters with implausible backstories of their own, there's no way that the movie itself would be nearly as fondly remembered. The fact that it's been nearly a decade without a proper sequel also hasn't helped, I'm not sure why they waited so long because at this point I don't think that many people will care enough to watch the sequel when it does come out.

Extraordinary Member

Avatar is the ultimate spectacle over substance movie. It has a boring, cliched plot with boring cookie-cutter characters. But on the big screen with full 3D there is nothing quite like it. Pandora is gorgeous in a way only animated movies have otherwise managed to be. And that's all it needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Honestly if you didn't watch Avatar in 3D you have never seen Avatar. And it makes sense why you don't get its popularity
    I am a story first kind of guy, and I had watched loads of 3D movies before. AND normal cinema is a 3D representation on a 2D surface. Adding a fake depth won’t convince me that any movie is good. Also 3D has almost died here in the UK. Most have no interest in watching fake dimensional effects. How exactly people are still saying Avatar was “shot in 3D” when the majority of what was on the screen was CGI is beyond me. Total hype.

BANNED

Adding a fake depth won’t convince me that any movie is good.
    It's not about convincing you the movie was good, it's about explaining why that particular movie made a lot of money. If you havent seen it in 3D then you have no idea why it was successful.

Avatar it was the 3-d hands down. The plot was a rip-off of ferngully meets dances with wolfs. The 3-d craze got it and alice big draws. Alice 2 came out after the craze and bombs. I'm sure avatar 2 will do well but they can't use the 3-d craze this time. Funny thing is avatar is the highest grossing movie yet it was forgot right away. They came out with Halloween outfits that year. You never see anyone dress as them anymore! People can name all the star wars heroes, the main heroes of titanic and who the kid from et is but can anyone name any heroes name from avator? No one talks about it anymore at all other then the Disneyworld land. You can still buy star wars toys and even et and gremlins plushes. Other then Disneyworld there is nothing for avator.

People forgot about it as quickly as they were raving about it! If it wasn't for it's box office take no one would even talk about it today!

I'll join the others saying I 100% get how Avatar made it's money. It single handedly brought 3D back into being a thing, and it's arguable that no movie since then did it as well.

It's perhaps the ultimate example of "You have to see this in theaters", as unless you had a tv capable of 3d it was impossible to duplicate the experience.

Personally I thought the plot was Ferngully with guns but the visuals were good enough to more than justify price of admission. But, as I said above, the second it left theaters it became an entirely forgettable movie.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 05-06-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

I wonder how the Avatar sequels will perform. It was definitely a visual eye opener when it came out. What can James Cameron bring to the table for 4 sequels? The global markets might bring Endgame back to number 2 or 3 if they come out in droves for Avatar 2.