Ultimate Member

Default Avengers Endgame and MU at large (SPOILERS)

Spoilers for Avengers Endgame.

Obviously.

So now we know how Avengers Endgame, err...ends. All the people who were dusted have returned, 5 years later.

The obvious nerd question is, will this be reflected in Marvel series going forward? The Netflix series were preemptively dusted, but we still have Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, Agents of Shield and maybe some other stuff? (I don't keep track well).

Losing half the population for 5 years would be one hell of a seismic shift. So has there been any official word if that will be reflected in the series ongoing now, and those in the future? Thoughts?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Shield and any new series might. Doubt the rest will though.

Shield is most likely of the ones currently ongoing.

Now given the characters in the new series (falcon, winter solider, scarlet witch and vision) they will almost certainly have to address it.

Loki's series, based on Endgame, will probably be in an alternate timeline so no need.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

If this whole alternate timelines theory is what people are going with, I guess we could argue that any show which doesn't reference the events of Infinity War are set in the timeline where it never happened.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

What do we think we will see in Phase 4? What’s the next “saga?”

Astonishing Member

I have a theory how the inevitable X-men reboot will follow on from Endgame.

In Endgame, Earth experienced two 'Snaps' in a fairly short span of time - not more than a few hours at most. First Banner brought back everyone who was dusted, then Stark wiped out Thanos' forces. Its very likely that the use of the Infinity Gauntlet twice in quick succession could have had implications for the earth beyond what we saw on-screen.

Maybe the energies from the Snaps awakened the dormant mutant X-gene in millions of people across the globe. So the existence of mutants, hitherto a well-kept secret, now becomes impossible to hide.

And in an already precarious world that spent five years dealing with the consequences of Thanos' first Snap, and now having to deal with the undoing of that Snap and the return of over 3 billion people, not to mention the sudden restoration of half of all life across the planet - the emergence of a race of evolved humans who claim to be 'homo superior' will rapidly evolve into the kind of anti-mutant hysteria and hatred we see in the X-men comics.

^ Couple that with the Eternals and Earth's dormant Celestial defense mechanism kicks in.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    ^ Couple that with the Eternals and Earth's dormant Celestial defense mechanism kicks in.
    And not only that, but if you include the Marvel TV programs, you also have the Inhumans. With the two snaps, the return of 3 billion plus people, 50% of all life that vanished five years ago, plus a new group of super-humans, I could easily see why civilians in the MCU could be at the very least wary of mutants, even if they don't outright hate them, especially if Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants start causing trouble. That could create quite the opportunity for a great number of stories in the MCU while not necessarily painting all the civilians of the MCU as being deserving of death. There would be some Stryker-esque bad apples but I could easily see most people just being very wary of them, given everything that recently happened, with most people just wanting to not get into contact with them until they learn more about them. And, assuming the Sokovian Accords are still in place, I could easily see people, even more moderate people, clamoring for Mutant Registration, or at least making them an automatic part of the Accords, especially if the Brotherhood start causing trouble. The story possibilities for the X-Men are endless.

The new season of Agents of Shield was supposed to take place one year after the Snap which means its 4 years before the events of Endgame.

I think it would be absolutely awesome if they stick to this so we could see more than just glimpses of the breakdown of society. However it would be absolutely ridiculous plot armor if the whole team survived the Snap.

So I'm guessing the season will actually occur post Endgame so that the whole cast will be there but will possibly some flashbacks to the interim to show how the surviving team handled the loss of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I have a theory how the inevitable X-men reboot will follow on from Endgame.

In Endgame, Earth experienced two 'Snaps' in a fairly short span of time - not more than a few hours at most. First Banner brought back everyone who was dusted, then Stark wiped out Thanos' forces. Its very likely that the use of the Infinity Gauntlet twice in quick succession could have had implications for the earth beyond what we saw on-screen.

Maybe the energies from the Snaps awakened the dormant mutant X-gene in millions of people across the globe. So the existence of mutants, hitherto a well-kept secret, now becomes impossible to hide.

And in an already precarious world that spent five years dealing with the consequences of Thanos' first Snap, and now having to deal with the undoing of that Snap and the return of over 3 billion people, not to mention the sudden restoration of half of all life across the planet - the emergence of a race of evolved humans who claim to be 'homo superior' will rapidly evolve into the kind of anti-mutant hysteria and hatred we see in the X-men comics.
    The TV show Agents of Shield has already gone down this path with Inhumans. Way back in season 2 they introduced Inhumans and then at the end of the season Terrigenisis was released worldwide causing Inhumans to be created around the globe to public outcry.

So any such storyline like you said would basically just be copying what AoS has already done. I know the movies ignore the TV side of the MCU but I'd still think that the writers in the movies wouldn't want to so blatantly copy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I think it would be absolutely awesome if they stick to this so we could see more than just glimpses of the breakdown of society. However it would be absolutely ridiculous plot armor if the whole team survived the Snap.
    Would it really be any worse than all the original Avengers surviving? Or all but one of the GotG dying (two, if you count Nebula among them)? Or Clint losing his entire family? By the law of averages you'd expect at least a couple OG Avengers to be Snapped and at least one or two of Clint's kids to live.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing AOS deal with the Snap fallout. That show has often been good at exploring things from the movies in more detail than the films themselves provide.

But with the streaming service on its way and all those shows being lead by Fiege and the Studio, I suspect that the remaining shows like Cloak & Dagger and AOS are going to be left on the sidelines more than they already are and Disney will put pressure on them to end their runs, just like they did with Netflix.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Spoilers for Avengers Endgame.

Obviously.

So now we know how Avengers Endgame, err...ends. All the people who were dusted have returned, 5 years later.

The obvious nerd question is, will this be reflected in Marvel series going forward? The Netflix series were preemptively dusted, but we still have Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, Agents of Shield and maybe some other stuff? (I don't keep track well).

Losing half the population for 5 years would be one hell of a seismic shift. So has there been any official word if that will be reflected in the series ongoing now, and those in the future? Thoughts?
    TBH, I view continuity with Feige managed projects and non-Feige managed projects as being entirely lip service to increase the profile of those other projects. Even if an "official" statement is made, frankly I don't think it matters. Any decision in made in the Feige-verse will trump any decision from those other shows, as he has a unilateral right (as far as I would imagine) to retcon or dismiss their continuity. So any continuity would be entirely one directional (i.e. align yourself to the MCU or be a non-continuity or a continuity error), and therefore as far as I'm concerned not really being in the "same" continuity.