Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lemme tell you something maaaan: the BEST things coming out of DC

Let's get positive! Despite my (and others) criticisms of DC, DC does have great things coming out. So, I wanted to spread a little positive vibration. There is a thread(<click me) for airing grievances, so let's keep that over there; don't whine, complain, or shoot down other people's picks. Thank you for your civility

What are the best things coming out of DC; things you want them to do more of?

For me:

Doom Patrol - has been phenomenal. It's off-kilter, it's quirky, it's smartly written, I has personality, it's character driven, all the characters can shine, and emotionally well put together. It's just great "television".

Teen Titans - this has been my most consistently enjoyed title since their relaunch. I love most of the characters and the ones I don't like are supposed to be stand-offish and unlikable so it works. The new additions are welcomed and bounce off other characters well. Also, they got a crossover with Deathstroke, which means some great issues written by Priest (which is always a plus for me). Good Stuff.

Justice League - I'm really enjoying Justice League,. I love the roster, I love the blockbuster feel, and I love all the new concepts and new spins on old ideas Snyder is throwing out. I do wish they could slow down to do a better job addressing some of the ideas and balance the characters better, it hasn't lessen how much I'm enjoying this book all that much. Whatever it's building toward, I'm excited!

DCEU: Aquaman and Shazam! - these two movies were so much fun to watch and I'm glad DC appears to be finding it's footing with these movies. Aquaman was dumb big fun and Shazam! was a cute wholesome family affair. Let's hope they can keep the momentum going.

The Terrifics - the sole survivor of the New Age of Heroes line and deservedly so, this has been a great book. I love the dynamics among the characters, the adventures are campy scifi goodness, and it's nice to see Mr. Terrific getting his time in the sun. Nothing else to say, TERRIFICS FOR A MILLIONS YEARS!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Doom Patrol, the TV show

Young Animal
    The Terrifics
    Wonder Comics (although I haven't read them, yet, they just look like what I want)
    Justice League Dark
    Scooby Doo Team-Up

Recently:
    Future Quest (although, with Hanna Barbera not being satisfied with DC's use of their other characters this is no more)
    The Brenden Fletcher bubble (Batgirl of Burnside, Black Canary and Gotham Academy)
    Grayson
    Batman '66
    Wonder Woman '77

Maybe, in the future:
    Event Leviathan looks to finally bring back together Batman, Question and Green Arrow (with Manhunter). If this becomes a team then I'll have a new book to read.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-28-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ben 10 fan, immediately thought of the alien Rath's catchphrase when I saw this thread title .

Mera Tidebreaker was pretty good. I think it's cool seeing DC entering the young adult market with graphic novels and it did a good job of re-framing the Aquaman mythos and characters from that perspective.

The Justice League vs. The Fatal Five and Reign of the Supremen animated movies were both pretty enjoyable. It takes a while but it's nice to be able to watch them on DC Universe.

I really like the new Young Justice book so far, even if I'm still not sold in the newest characters

I've heard good things from Doom Patrol so I'll start it soon

-Excited for Young Animal return
    -DCeased sounds fun, in a new Taylor alternate universe kind of way
    -Young Justice is good
    -Batman White Knight getting a sequel
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Empty is thy hand!

I'm satisfied with Green Lantern and Wonder Twins.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have really been enjoying all of the Wonder Comics titles. And Bendis's Superman is really fun.

Morrison and Sharp's The Green Lantern is shaping up to be an all-time classic.

While I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it, I have to say that Snyder's Batman Who Laughs mini has been great goofy fun.

Doomsday Clock & Shazam are also great reads despite the delays.

I was really looking forward to The Other History of the DC Universe, but the I am not sure if that will ever come out.

Doc Shaner on Doom Patrol and Far Sector are definitely going to be at the top of my stack
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 04-27-2019 at 08:51 PM.

I’m personally still enjoying a lot of books: Bendis Superman, Wonder Comics, JL & JLD, Terrifics (great to have Yang back!), Deathstroke & TT are both having an actual good crossover this time with Terminus Agenda, Batman Who Laughs, Shazam, The Green Lantern, and Aquaman.

There’s a lot on the horizon I’m looking forward to: Rucka’s Lois Lane & Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen for example. The DCEU is finally starting to pull itself together with the last two movies and the removal of Snyder. Things could be better but I’m ok with the current status.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m personally still enjoying a lot of books: Bendis Superman, Wonder Comics, JL & JLD, Terrifics (great to have Yang back!), Deathstroke & TT are both having an actual good crossover this time with Terminus Agenda, Batman Who Laughs, Shazam, The Green Lantern, and Aquaman.

There’s a lot on the horizon I’m looking forward to: Rucka’s Lois Lane & Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen for example. The DCEU is finally starting to pull itself together with the last two movies and the removal of Snyder. Things could be better but I’m ok with the current status.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot about Rucka on Lois Lane and Fraction and Leiber on Jimmy Olsen. Really looking forward to those books

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There's so much to get excited about! DC has such a large swath of high quality books right now.

Morrison/Sharp's The Green Lantern, Castellucci's Female Furies and upcoming Batgirl, Johns' Shazam, the Bendis Superman books (especially with Reis), Venditti/Hitch Hawkman.

Young Animal is coming back! Far Sector looks so dope! Way's Doom Patrol!

We just need to get Aquaman back on track and we're all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ben 10 fan, immediately thought of the alien Rath's catchphrase when I saw this thread title .

Mera Tidebreaker was pretty good. I think it's cool seeing DC entering the young adult market with graphic novels and it did a good job of re-framing the Aquaman mythos and characters from that perspective.
    I agree Mera Tidebreaker was good and great idea to attract young adults, however the problem is anyone who might be interested in following in comics Aquaman, they won't find Mera, or the few times she appears she's not the character like in Tidebreaker. Same thing happened with the movie none that connects it with the comics, apart from the tattoos. DC lacks in coordination in building franchises.

The recent Man and Superman was amazing, instant classic in my opinion.

The Lois Lane YA novels were great and probably recent enough to warrant a mention here. Anyone know if we'll see a fourth one or not?

Other than that, not sure I've read anything new enough to be counted here.

Things I have not read but am looking forward too:

Mera Tidebreaker - Didn't even know it was available yet, surprised my Amazon email recommendations didn't bring it up. I'm so grabbing a copy right away.

Batman vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - this movie looks like it'll be fun, and it reminded me I should purchase the comic books soon. Also read the third crossover is coming up.

Batman White Knight - I keep hearing good things about this, and now that a sequel is on the way I guess there is no time like the present to check this one out.

Batman Kings of Fear looks like a fun throwback, I'm waiting for it to be collected later in the year to check it out though.

Both Flash Year One and Superman Year One has me pretty curious.

There's a lot from Zoom, Ink, and Black Label that looks like it'll be up my alley, but I'm just waiting on those.

Since I mostly stick to trades, minis, one offs, graphic novels and the like, and only make so many purchases in a year, there's less to be excited for right away, but there's definitely some good stuff.

Incredible Member

Art across the board is very strong. Surely one of the very strongest set of art teams throughout the books DC has ever had.

Josh Williamson hasn't really blown me away on Flash, but I am really looking forward to Flash Year One because we haven't really ever gotten a modern retelling of his origin and Howard Porter is killing it on art. The last great Flash origin story was Waid's Born to Run story with Wally

Mighty Member

The Good Stuff:

Legends of Tomorrow: The best superhero show on TV right now. Just total awesomeness. (Granted, I haven't seen Doom Patrol yet, so that might take the title).

Justice League and Justice League Dark: I love what Scott Snyder has been doing with the title. The line up is great, the humor is fantastic, and the character focused stuff is wonderful. Really looking forward to the return of kid Jon Kent, even if it is just in flashbacks. Likewise, Tynion is doing some career best work with Justice League Dark. I never thought I'd get so attached to Detective Chimp and Man-Bat, yet here we are.

Doomsday Clock: Despite delays, it has been fantastic. Looking forward to the next issue.

Adventures of the Super Sons: It's not nearly as good as Super Sons was. It hasn't dug as deeply into the characters and it feels a bit like treading water, but I enjoy my monthly dose of Damian Wayne and Jon Kent.

Stuff I'm excited about:

Lois Lane by Greg Rucka: Rucka is my favorite comics writer, so I'm really excited for this, even if I haven't been a fan of what Bendis's has been doing with Superman (Action Comics has been better though).

Doom Patrol and the DC Universe App: I got to get this app. Doom Patrol sounds amazing and I really want to read the comics backlog they have there.

Flash: Year One: I've been enjoying Williamson's run on the title, though I think the dourness of Heroes in Crisis has harmed it a bit. This past arc with The Trickster was a step in the right direction and I'm pumped to see what Year One has in store.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers