Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How popular is Cosmic Ghost Rider?

Took my annual break from comics and returned and saw CGR. Thought it was a poor legacy idea, but I actually really enjoy the character and I like the new mini.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

When it came out everyone seemed to love it and it was getting really good reviews, but lately I've been seeing a ton of hate for the character.
    Baby Thanos

enh, there's always a hatedom when there's something new, doesn't mean people have turned on him in general. Just the usual complaining about things they don't like being more popular than they'd want. His mini with baby Thanos finished with like 50k in the direct market so I'd say he's doing pretty well.

CGR is much more popular than the Punisher, apparently.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

I liked him in his mini with baby Thanos. I liked the dynamic of him being crazy in ghost rider form, but pure Frank in human form. Yet, despite being written by the same guy throughout his creation, that balance is super wishy washy at times.

Extraordinary Member

I love it aha. I'm not a fan of Frank, but find him interesting here. Is it in the 616 universe?

could be good I guess, I'm not a fan of the design, to be blunt I find it kinda lame, especially that plasma ball motorcycle....eeew
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Personally it feels like an idea that really shouldn’t work, but oddly does. Like on paper this character sounds like a bad idea, aversion of the punisher who sold his soul to become ghost rider, went insane, teamed up with Galactus, and then worked for Thanos but is now in the present in the Guardians of the Galaxy title is just so convoluted that it shouldn’t work. Yet Donny Cates has made it work in a charming way that I want to see what he does next with the character.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

With a 3rd new mini series announced I wanted to revisit this and ask you guys if you think this character has long-term staying power, and if you think he will ever get an on-going series.

I guess it's kind of hard to give him an on-going series because he is really just the future Punisher, and I don't know if there have been any other characters besides Spider-Man with multiple on-goings.

Also, since a lot of people were unimpressed by the last series, do you think the absence of baby Thanos makes the character a little less interesting?
    Baby Thanos

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Anecdotally his books never seem to stick around on the shelves for very long on NCBD, and whenever I see a kid buying a comic it's usually been CGR recently. So my impression is that he's popular enough to move single issues quickly, and that readers 12/Under think he's as cool as Venom.

Have never read anything he's ever appeared in, he seems like a fun character that has never been in anything I've had a remote interest in.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I could be wrong but I feel Cosmic Ghost Rider ,like a few other characters currently being published solo, never had a "real" following. Comic blogs just made a lot of noise about him and how popular he is when in truth the book never really sold all that well, like they do a few others.

However, I openly admit I stop watching CGR's sales not to long after he came out so I can not say without a doubt that is the case like other characters such as Ms. Marvel, Wasp, and a few others.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoy him, but he's certainly Cates's pet character, so not sure how much mileage other writers will get out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I could be wrong but I feel Cosmic Ghost Rider ,like a few other characters currently being published solo, never had a "real" following. Comic blogs just made a lot of noise about him and how popular he is when in truth the book never really sold all that well, like they do a few others.

However, I openly admit I stop watching CGR's sales not to long after he came out so I can not say without a doubt that is the case like other characters such as Ms. Marvel, Wasp, and a few others.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, his first mini sold 50,000 issues by it's final issue. so... no, it's not selling similar numbers as Ms marvel etc. it's selling 3-4 times as much as them. I did not however check on the numbers for the Destroys the MU series. But the baby Thanos one, it sold a lot.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Popular enough to have his own action figure.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The latest mini sold about 25k by the end, so the hype is certainly going down, or maybe the series was rubbish.

I really dislike the character and so didn't read it.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God