Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Astonishing Member

They, or at least, Hyperion, makes an appearance in the new Taskmaster series. It's a shame their Empyre one-shot got cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    They, or at least, Hyperion, makes an appearance in the new Taskmaster series. It's a shame their Empyre one-shot got cancelled.
    I was looking forward to it. Been a Squadron fan since Mark Gruenwald’s 12 issue awesome run. Also when they first appeared in the Avengers.

Astonishing Member

If they do get an MCU something, do you think it will be in the main, or an alternate universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    If they do get an MCU something, do you think it will be in the main, or an alternate universe?
    !! I hope it's the 'main' world but I wouldn't put it past an alternate world-- especially since so many of the squadron stories have members doing 'bad' or morally grey things, most explicitly in the JMS-led reboot.

I'd also rather see this explored (primarily) in a series rather than movies. you can give more spotlight to folks' individual stories.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I wonder if DC would then draw a hard line and sue Marvel, if they decided to launch the Squadron as a live action deal and not just in the form of animation?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I wonder if DC would then draw a hard line and sue Marvel, if they decided to launch the Squadron as a live action deal and not just in the form of animation?
    No doubt. They actually did have to have a sit between the lawyers when Marvel did the 80's mini-series. If there was a one off SS appearance in a cartoon series, that's probably fine. But if Marvel/Disney did a big budget movie, DC/Warners would probably file copyright infringement.

Were there ever Squadron members analogous to Giant-Man, Wasp, Vision, Mantis or Black Widow?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Were there ever Squadron members analogous to Giant-Man, Wasp, Vision, Mantis or Black Widow?
    The MAX version the SS did do parodies of Marvel heroes like Spidey, Cap and Iron Man, but in the 616 it wouldn't make much sense.

Having said that, Mark Millar's version of The Authority had a team called "The Americans" who were spoofs of the Avengers specifically and Marvel heroes generally.

In the Superman/Batman title they met heroes called "The Maximums" who were a parody of The Ultimates who of course were the Ult-Universe of the Avengers.

I don't think a version of Mantis appeared in either of those, however...when Steve Englehart left Marvel he wrote Justice League of America and character called Willow showed up. He later admitted it was him doing a version of Mantis in the DCU.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    No doubt. They actually did have to have a sit between the lawyers when Marvel did the 80's mini-series. If there was a one off SS appearance in a cartoon series, that's probably fine. But if Marvel/Disney did a big budget movie, DC/Warners would probably file copyright infringement.
    I know Marvel used some of the Squadron members in "Avengers Assemble" or one of those cartoon series, but I think Marvel is definitely pushing its luck. Given how popular the Avengers franchise is globally, we're rapidly getting to the point that the Squadron Supreme's prominence in Marvel lore and overall popularity with all consumers of content is eventually going to trigger more than just a chuckle and cliched comment about parody and/or imitation being the best form of flattery from DC.

I think that's probably why we'll never see a lengthy ongoing of the Squadron Supreme, unless Marvel staffs the team with truly original Marvel creations. Truth be told, I really wish Marvel would do just that. Keep the Squadron Supreme/Sinister name, but instead of putting out books for Forceworks, Strikeforce, or whatnot, have those rosters fly under the SS banner.

Astonishing Member

I mean there is the Boys, and Brightburn.

Extraordinary Member

Heroes Reborn Announcement Trailer | Marvel Comics

Here is some recent comments inside the link above.

edd Monk quote-
    Why does one of the new heroes look like Wonder Woman. Its basically Wonder Woman but with a black suit.
    James Miller63 quote-
    Im pretty sure she's an old character, I think its the wonder woman of squadron Supreme.
    Orien Day quote-
    it's supposed to be, they're the squadron supreme who are inspired by the justice league
    DAHAKA, GUARDIAN OF THE TIMELINE quote-
    Power Princess isn't "new". She's Marvel's version of Wonder Woman though, that is correct. The "new" heroes are Squadron Supreme, a bunch of characters based on DC's Justice League while somewhat distinct enough to avoid a lawsuit
    BOWMAN quote-
    It’s kinda stupid I hate that they did that
    Nathan Kilman quote-
    @BOWMAN To be fair, DC has like 4 versions of Avengers too and none of them have been as well-received or given nearly as much depth as Squadron Supreme@BOWMAN yeah you don't read much comics do you? DC and Marvel have both done this many times and have even crossed over on occasions.
    MattnetoA113 quote-
    @DAHAKA, GUARDIAN OF THE TIMELINE that's the power of marvel baby.
    DAHAKA, GUARDIAN OF THE TIMELINE quote-
    @MattnetoA113 I think the main reason is because Marvel sort of stuck with their version whereas DC makes a new one every time they do it. First it's the Champions of Angor, then it's Justifiers, then it's Meta-Militia, then it's Retaliators... Also, where Marvel treats their version as actual characters, DC just goes with low-brow highschool humor such as having their versions exist only to get violently murdered or making their version of Thor a closeted homosexual before a supervillain eats him alive.

Thing is, Justice League and Avengers both print money so it's paramount to treat your version of the opposite team with respect to maximize profits and fan engagement and also have as many cool figures in your toybox as possible for broader storytelling opportunities but DC is more interested in highschool-level, eye-rolling-inducing buffoonery because when they need to they'll just make another version and not do anything with it anyway.
    DC physically couldn't write a mainstream event story where Champions of Andor or the Justifiers or whatever take over from the Justice League because they not only didn't develop those characters but actively tried to ruin them by emptying a whole mag into their own feet.

You could discuss the advantages and disadvantages and policies of these companies for days but Marvel's got DC beat in this regard with their eyes closed.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This post was Deleted.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-04-2021 at 07:16 PM.