Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Bad example. In EWS, Tom Cruise's character doesn't actually go ahead and cheat on his wife. He has sex fantasies and temptations but he doesn't go ahead and do it for real.

In any case, Erik Larsen himself pointed out that without an actual divorce and resolution, Peter can be considered to be cheating on Mary Jane post-OMD. And since he's had more relationships in that time than she did...it does look like he's coping with "single life" better. None of MJ's relationships are long term or lasting or shown as fulfilling and happy. Whereas Peter, at least in the pages, was happy with Carlie until it ended.
    To be fair, we don't know exactly how many people MJ hooked up with in-between OMD and now. We've only seen two, but for all we know she could've hooked up with others within that time period. Peter's only really had 3 official relationships during this time, Carlie, Lien, and Bobbi, the rest were one-night stands, flirtations, and whatever you would call what happened with Silk. So if we're going by what we see on screen, I would say they are about on equal levels. And I would argue the first appearance with Bobby Carr, and then Pedro's few appearances they do look fulfilling and happy on the scale of Peter's relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, we don't know exactly how many people MJ hooked up with in-between OMD and now. We've only seen two, but for all we know she could've hooked up with others within that time period. Peter's only really had 3 official relationships during this time, Carlie, Lien, and Bobbi, the rest were one-night stands, flirtations, and whatever you would call what happened with Silk. So if we're going by what we see on screen, I would say they are about on equal levels. And I would argue the first appearance with Bobby Carr, and then Pedro's few appearances they do look fulfilling and happy on the scale of Peter's relationships.
    it’s a decent point. an argument could be made that mj’s numbers are potentially higher than peter’s

but we don’t know, and it’s not really important for us to know. any off page stuff effectively counts as nothing
    Last edited by boots; 05-20-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, we don't know exactly how many people MJ hooked up with in-between OMD and now.
    Based on what we have, Peter's the one who's been busy.

Anything like this "we don't know" and so on is stuff that needs a retcon to add in, and so forth.

Zdarsky's FCBD short comic with Peter and MJ having lunch when she worked for Stark has MJ discussing her lack of enthusiasm about some guy in office asking her for a date, which suggest she's reluctant to do that thing for some reason.

Zdarsky's FCBD short comic with Peter and MJ having lunch when she worked for Stark has MJ discussing her lack of enthusiasm about some guy in office asking her for a date, which suggest she's reluctant to do that thing for some reason.
    haven’t read it, but does it suggest she’s not into dating or hooking up in general or just this particular dude?
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    haven’t read it, but does it suggest she’s not into dating or hooking up in general or just this particular dude?
    Sounded like she wasn't interested in the guy...but it's not hard to suggest she may just think Peter is the only one for her. Her last rebound was with someone who had the same name as him and a a life-threatening risky occupation. She was trying to replace Peter with a stand-in and that's probably why it fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Sounded like she wasn't interested in the guy...but it's not hard to suggest she may just think Peter is the only one for her. Her last rebound was with someone who had the same name as him and a a life-threatening risky occupation. She was trying to replace Peter with a stand-in and that's probably why it fell through.
    yeah, that can all be true and a person can still go on dates or hook up with as many people as they like without getting into anything long term or consistent

again, not saying there’s evidence of that. sounds like there’s no real evidence of anything

“last rebound”- don’t you only get one rebound? after that it’s just hooking up, right?
    troo fan or death

BANNED

“last rebound”- don’t you only get one rebound? after that it’s just hooking up, right?
    Pedro fit the bill of a rebound, even if MJ intended that to be serious at the time.

I'm surprised Spencer hasn't brought him back so we can have closure on why MJ dumped him. He already brought back Carlie and made sure we knew where MJ stood with Tony.

Pedro's last known appearance was in Slott's Renew Your Vows when MJ and Baby Annie commandeered his fire engine to use against Venom.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-21-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Pedro fit the bill of a rebound, even if MJ intended that to be serious at the time.

I'm surprised Spencer hasn't brought him back so we have closure on why MJ dumped him. He already brought back Carlie and made sure we o where MJ stodo with Tony.

Pedro's last known appearance was in Slott's Renew Your Vows when MJ and Baby Annie commandeered his fire engine to use against Venom, and that was an alternate reality version of him.

not...what i was asking but that’s cool. pedro sounds like a stand up guy.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

not...what i was asking but that’s cool. pedro sounds like a stand up guy.
    You can be a stand up guy yet still be a rebound that one can't make it work with.

MJ was coming off a break-up with Peter/Otto earlier in Superior, so yeah, Pedro was a rebound, so that answers your question.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-21-2019 at 12:25 AM.

You can be a stand up guy yet still be a rebound that one can't make it work with.

MJ was coming off a break-up with Peter/Otto earlier in Superior, so yeah, Pedro was a rebound, so that answers your question.
    yeah, you don’t have to be a good or bad person to be a rebound. i didn’t actually mean pedro sounded great, i have nothing to base that on.

pedro was the one and only true rebound. we got there. that’s what’s important
    troo fan or death

I genuinely struggle with that sometimes. I tend to use references I'm familiar with completely so I don't grapple that some cases aren't really movies but a shorthand for something apart from the movie. I use urban dictionary a fair amount of time as it is.
    fair enough, i shouldn’t assume everyone is exposed to the same memes and references

but then, what do we do? contextualise jokes with annotations?

“dude, you’re freaking me out with your spider-man posts. don’t go all falling down on me (Falling Down is a 1993 thriller film directed by Joel Schumacher and written by Ebbe Roe Smith. The film stars Michael Douglas in the lead role of William Foster, a divorced and unemployed former defense engineer. The film centers on Foster as he treks on foot across the city of Los Angeles, trying to reach the house of his estranged...)”

but even a quick google image shows that people are fixated on that one scene from EWS

if i try to make an actual analogy, i promise to expand on it with specifics

my original point being that peter doesn’t read like the player that a few peeps tried to push him as. to me at least.
    Last edited by boots; 05-21-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

fair enough, i shouldn’t assume everyone is exposed to the same memes and references
    In my case I saw the actual film by Kubrick. So the whole meme and stuff never really meant anything to me.

but then, what do we do? contextualise jokes with annotations?
    Hickman said something interesting when promoting his upcoming run on X-Men, where he wondered "is the real modern complication atomization? Where everything is segmented to such a degree that there are no stories which mean something to everyone. Where the psychological expectation is something catered, or personalized." (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...e-powers-of-x/).

A good part of meme culture requires people to know, or in the case of EWS, know just enough (i.e. the meme and not the movie) to get a reference the way it was communicated. In the case of stuff like Falling Down, I only know of it because Frank Grimes from Simpsons was based on the character in that. So that's my frame of reference for it.

my original point being that peter doesn’t read like the player that a few peeps tried to push him as. to me at least.
    Emotionally and so on he doesn't see himself that way. If you followed the run maybe it didn't feel that way. But if you look at it overall it does. One of the many issues people had about Carlie was that she showed up in the last pages of OMD and the overall intent communicated by Quesada was that she was an 'updgrade' for MJ and that Peter's being rewarded by OMD to indulge in guilt free dating.

In any case, look at Peter/Flash/Harry...isn't Peter the guy who got the most action between the three of them? If you were to fan-cast FRIENDS on to the three of them, Peter would be the Joey, Flash the Chandler, and Harry the Ross.

In my case I saw the actual film by Kubrick. So the whole meme and stuff never really meant anything to me.

Hickman said something interesting when promoting his upcoming run on X-Men, where he wondered "is the real modern complication atomization? Where everything is segmented to such a degree that there are no stories which mean something to everyone. Where the psychological expectation is something catered, or personalized." (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...e-powers-of-x/).

A good part of meme culture requires people to know, or in the case of EWS, know just enough (i.e. the meme and not the movie) to get a reference the way it was communicated. In the case of stuff like Falling Down, I only know of it because Frank Grimes from Simpsons was based on the character in that. So that's my frame of reference for it.

Emotionally and so on he doesn't see himself that way. If you followed the run maybe it didn't feel that way. But if you look at it overall it does. One of the many issues people had about Carlie was that she showed up in the last pages of OMD and the overall intent communicated by Quesada was that she was an 'updgrade' for MJ and that Peter's being rewarded by OMD to indulge in guilt free dating.

In any case, look at Peter/Flash/Harry...isn't Peter the guy who got the most action between the three of them? If you were to fan-cast FRIENDS on to the three of them, Peter would be the Joey, Flash the Chandler, and Harry the Ross.
    you mentioned something related to that hickman quote previously when you made the point that spidey fandom has segmented since the 90s

which i don’t have an issue with, it’s the entitlement that can come with the expectation of catering that bothers me

as for a player...i suppose it comes down to our own definitions of the word, but in my eyes peter parker’s love life is pretty conservative
    troo fan or death

BANNED

as for a player...i suppose it comes down to our own definitions of the word, but in my eyes peter parker’s love life is pretty conservative
    If you compare him to Marvel's ladies-men and serial daters -- Iron Man, Wolverine, Daredevil, Johnny Storm -- yeah. But if you look at him in a real sense, i.e. my personal experience and the people I know, most of whom for the most part are stuck in jobs or student loans and don't have time to serial date, and so on, then he comes off as quite a player.

And again, compare Peter's dating history to Flash and Harry. Compare it specifically to Post-OMD. Pre-OMD maybe on the level and so on. Post-OMD not so much.

If you compare him to Marvel's ladies-men and serial daters -- Iron Man, Wolverine, Daredevil, Johnny Storm -- yeah. But if you look at him in a real sense, i.e. my personal experience and the people I know, most of whom for the most part are stuck in jobs or student loans and don't have time to serial date, and so on, then he comes off as quite a player.

And again, compare Peter's dating history to Flash and Harry. Compare it specifically to Post-OMD. Pre-OMD maybe on the level and so on. Post-OMD not so much.
    but...your “real sense” sounds nothing like mine or my mates. i wasn’t even thinking about old iron balls

this is the tinder age. dating is quick and convenient

has the same work been put into delving into flash and harry’s dating life since OMD (the friends example is unfair because it forces us to choose from this pre set trio of archetypes when one, none or a mix may be appropriate)?
    Last edited by boots; 05-21-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    troo fan or death